Smoke_Tetsu's Content

There have been 270 items by Smoke_Tetsu (Search limited from 26-June 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#433928 Shadow Warrior, yeah the new one, updated with Mac/Linux support!

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 20 April 2015 - 02:01 PM in Mac Action & Shooters

The developer who made that port should also port Hard Reset!

#433797 Shadow Warrior, yeah the new one, updated with Mac/Linux support!

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 08 April 2015 - 02:17 PM in Mac Action & Shooters

View Postmacdude22, on 07 April 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

Battlecat sent back his 680 for a 7950 because the performance on BL2 was so bad and he says it runs swimmingly so that was my other data point on BL2 sucking on Nvidia cards on OS X. Under wandows I can max dem settings.

I don't have any performance issues with either BL2 or Pre-sequel on my Nvidia card here. In fact I've been pretty pleased with it overall lately.

View PostUmarOMC1, on 07 April 2015 - 01:12 AM, said:

Running at 1680x1050. Seems fairly rock solid. Thank God it's no DEAD ISLAND! :wall:

I've been running it at 1600x900 here since I like to stick to the same aspect ratio as my display whenever possible (16:9). But they seem to have been patching it quite a bit over the course of the week and it's steadily been getting better. I'm now getting a crash to desktop bug towards the end however that they are looking into right now... right before I get to the final whisperer it just ups and crashes.

For the few days or so it did feel like another Dead Island though with how unsmooth it felt while traversing the environment.... especially combined with the way they implemented head bobbing made it feel all wonky.

#433796 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Announcement Trailer

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 08 April 2015 - 02:08 PM in IMG News Discussion

The pessimistic side of me says that since this is going to use DX12 and TressFX 3.0 if and when it comes to the Mac one would either have to put up with massively reduced performance or missing features. There's no telling if Apple will adopt Vulkan or even if they do what time frame they will and whether that would line up with this game's release schedule.

Knowing some of those planned features I wouldn't blame anyone for just saying screw it and just play it in Bootcamp or a separate PC Gaming rig. I'm leaning toward the latter here since I don't dual boot.

#433684 Alien: Isolation

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 30 March 2015 - 11:21 AM in Mac Action & Shooters

Seems so.. I just hope they port all the feature straight over including the 7.1 surround sound their engine supports. I have an A/V receiver hooked up via Thunderbolt to HDMI and can enable it in Audio MIDI setup.

#433681 Alien: Isolation

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 30 March 2015 - 10:34 AM in Mac Action & Shooters

Shadow Warrior is coming soon at least... http://www.macgameca...y-announced-osx

#433614 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 23 March 2015 - 12:36 AM in General

View Postipickert55, on 19 March 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

Just started Syndicate (the newer one that everyone seems to hate), i freaking love it. I love the stuff that Starbreeze/Machine Games makes.

People hated it because Starbreeze had the audacity to change the genre from an isometric real time tactics shooter to an FPS. Doing so is a major faux pas for some gamers. People where making the making the same sort of drama when they thought The Bureau XCOM Declassified was going to be THE XCOM game and was going to be a BioShock'ey FPS rather than a turn based strategy game which caused them to back-peddle and delay and change the game drastically. Personally I would have liked the BioShock'ey FPS they had in mind.

#432799 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 30 January 2015 - 09:16 AM in General

View PostRikkes, on 30 January 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

Jurassic Park?
*pops head up from behind a wall* Coincidently... LEGO just announced Jurrassic World the video game... Which is going to encompass the plot of all four Jurassic Park movies including Jurassic World.

LEGO Avengers was also recently announced.

#431739 The Witcher comes to MacOS

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 21 November 2014 - 05:09 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

View PostJanichsan, on 21 November 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Yes. They stopped using WINE.

As I said: they are using VP's technology know.

Just a quick comment to say that IMHO this is worse because at least with Wine I have something I can work with to re-enable features I want such as true positional surround sound and adding effects (such as HDR, antialiasing, etc) via proxy d3d9 and dsound\openal dll's. which their tech isn't made to facilitate because their wrapping technology is more obfuscated from the end user. Also, I could keep the wine wrapper up to date and reap the benefit of bug fixes but their type tends to stop receiving patches after a while. As such I've moved my current copy out of my steam folder so that it wont get overwritten the next time I launch Steam. People say it was a piece of popsnizzle but I had it running decently on my rig with features that one only usually can get in Windows using the same methods I mentioned above.

By the way I had to upgrade that Wine wrapper to the latest available (at the time.. 1.7.28.. I could upgrade it to 1.7.29 but haven't yet.. the Winery is a bit behind as they haven't uploaded new wine engines in a while and we're up to 1.7.31 by now) Wine engine for Wineskin to get it to work on my Mac but once that was done it was working better than ever.

Also as has been demonstrated before VP's wrapping tech isn't necessarily better than Wine especially in terms of performance or features. To be fair they have been working on this but yeah.

Obviously also this isn't as much a problem with newer games because they tend to come out of the box with all the features I could possibly want (in terms of graphics and sound). Especially if they where ported by Feral. But with a game like The Witcher which is already relatively an older game by now this is a problem... and we don't have advanced control panels or tech like SweetFX, ENB Series dsound to openal wrappers and the like for OS X available to us to remedy this.

TL;DR version: In other words it's like they are saying "Here you go, a port that's still wrapped but may now have worse performance and is now less customizable by power users"!

#431321 Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Hits Macs This Fall

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 26 October 2014 - 05:28 PM in IMG News Discussion

The big question here would be "But what about stuff like OpenGL4? Wouldn't that make games faster and enable DX11 and other stuff like that?" The answer to the best of my knowledge is:

1) Wine doesn't even use OpenGL4 on the home team platform (Linux) where it's generally considered to be ahead of OS X (provided the user is not using open sourced drivers for ideological reasons).

2) Even if they did they haven't even finished DX10 yet from what I've heard. Even DX9 is still WIP at this point. Although in my own tests shader model 4.0 effects (like in Singularity by Raven Sofware) seem to have been getting more complete lately. Some games still have major problems here with certain versions of DX9... possibly due to driver bugs.

3) OpenGL4 from what I've seen isn't a guarantee of better performance it could actually make things slower if not properly implemented.

There's a page at WineHQ that talks about the status of DirectX but it seems outdated at this point as some of the stuff in it has been addressed by now.

#431320 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance released for Mac

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 26 October 2014 - 05:05 PM in Mac Action & Shooters

Could be due to your harddware and software (OS) combination. Hard to say because I neither have an '09 Mac Pro with an ATI card nor have I upgraded to Yosemite yet. But I don't think that's the typical experience with the game at least it wasn't for me. You could also try dialing the resolution down a notch to 2048x1152 or 1920x1080... see if that helps. Shouldn't hurt.

#431317 Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Hits Macs This Fall

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 25 October 2014 - 08:10 PM in IMG News Discussion

Doh will have to answer that properly but I don't think doh123 tends to include stuff that requires newer versions of OS X since wineskin tends to be made for 10.6 and above.

#431305 Shame about the Mini...

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 24 October 2014 - 05:23 PM in Mac Hardware

Your CRT would output enough X-RAYS to turn you into a permanent skeleton halloween costume like the villians in the (original) Karate Kid wore. :)

#431303 Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 24 October 2014 - 05:21 PM in Mac Strategy

There'll be mods for that soon enough. That is if you don't mind mods of course. But Flavours 2 is going to support it and probably so will manual (editing sartfiles and extras.rsrc manually on the hard drive) theming once the GUI hackers have their way with it.

Personally, I'm going to go with Flavours 2 because it's going to have a number of advantages over manual theming such as specific app theming support, status bar theming, text color changing, etc. Using it you'd be able to roll back the GUI changes to Mavericks (or earlier.. I've made themes based on Mac OS versions going all the way back to pre-OS X days)..

Actually I want Flavours 2 BEFORE I consider upgrading to Yosemite here.

#431277 Pre-Sequel tips, questions, and bug reports.

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 22 October 2014 - 08:42 PM in Mac Action & Shooters

It's not that much worse for an iMac at least if you have a fairly recent one like I do. (On the other hand I'm uncertain it'd benchmark well on a 5k iMac at its native resolution :P)

Yes, I do get a little bit of micro pauses when I start a level but as with a Mac Pro they don't last. I actually encounter more smoothness than I do that in my recent experience... In fact on the technical side Bordlerlands The Pre-Sequel seems better than Borderlands 2 for me including with .. yes.. yes.. the sound support... (which I'll spare you the details of)..

But yeah unless you have a really old iMac perhaps then you should be fine. Need to be a little more specific. I mean, if you have a Core 2 Duo iMac I think you are well below the requirements. :cool: On my late 2009 iMac (specs in my signature) I have a feeling I'd have to dial down the resolution to at least 1600x900 or even 1280x720 to get great performance out of it.

#431229 You know what needs an HD Remake

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 21 October 2014 - 03:35 PM in General

If the game is so far out that nobody can even guess what it is the question for me is would we even be interested? Sounds very niche to me.

At the very least I have to ask myself if I would be interested. That I'll have to see.

#431228 Shame about the Mini...

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 21 October 2014 - 03:33 PM in Mac Hardware

I hate to say it but I'm leaning towards the Hackintosh route here as well because of Apple's recent choices even with the iMac which I do not agree with. Even if they end up refreshing it to have a GPU that can more than handle the load of 4k\5k gaming VRAM and all. (And no... 4GB is not enough for 5K gaming especially not for Next Gen stuff... Anyway...)

I personally don't want 5k resolution in a 27 inch form factor. If and when I buy into 4k or 5k it better be in a larger panel than I have now. A more near term upgrade for me would be to a 34" 21:9 3440x1440 monitor which is only available as a stand alone monitor at this point and it's probably unlikely that Apple is going to make an iMac with that type of monitor.

#431200 GOG Galaxy announced

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 20 October 2014 - 04:29 PM in General

I installed my free copy of AvP 2000 Classic in Wine and these are the steps I took and the results: *warning this is for technical minded people who are versed with Wineskin* :)

The caveat with this game even after modding is the menus are always 640x480 or 800x600 4:3 no matter what. You can set the in-game resolutoin from the in-game menus to whatever you have though and it has hor+ support for widescreen resolutions all the way up to multiple monitors.

I've converted the included GOG icon to Mac for use with Wine: https://dl.dropboxus...ons/avpicon.zip

1) Downloaded free copy from GOG
2) Made a wrapper using 1.7.24D3DBoost (to avoid the flickering the game gets otherwise)
3) Did these in winetricks:
xinput
d3dx9_43
d3dcompiler_43
macdriver=mac
nocrashdialog
4) Install the game by copying the installer.exe into the wrapper and set it to be the executable that starts up with the wrapper and pass the /nogui option under exe parameters. It still gives me errors but installs anyway.

The d3d stuff is for a mod I'm using in a later step... If all you want is the basic game you can ignore the rest and just add the path to the .exe in Wineskin advanced configuration.
5) For antialiasing Added FXAA Tool https://www.assembla...aa Tool SVN 112 adding the following files from the zip file:
injFX_Settings
injFX_Shaders
d3d9.dll
shader.hlsl
shader.fx
Used These settings: https://dl.dropboxus...xaaSettings.zip
6) In WineCFG added d3d9 (native,builtin) to the list along with the aforementioned d3d dll's.
7) Went to AvP Redux and downloaded the two zip files... http://www.moddb.com...r-classic-redux
8) Merge all the files from zip file 1 into your AvP install folders one folder at a time.
9) Place the /Graphics/ folder from zip 2 in the main AvP folder alongside the others (no merging)

For those who like me like to use a wireless x360 gamepad with some games.. Like I've said elsewhere I don't really use them for FPS games often but I felt like playing around with it here since it is one of the new features of the 2000 Classic Edition.... I managed to get it to work using x360cemu with these specific files.. all one needs to do is extract them and place them in their AvP Classic 2000 install folder inside the Wineskin wrapper... If you are using a controller other than a wireless 360 with tattiebogle drivers you might have to edit the x360cemu.ini and change the buttons\axis\etc. to whatever you have.

I find I actually play it pretty good with a gamepad. What's the benefit of using x360cemu over using keyboard emulation? Analog movement... Which is a pretty cool thing. Your movement is proportional from how far from the center you move the thumbstick and also you get more than four way movement.

https://dl.dropboxus...44/x360cemu.zip <-including these because these specific files work for me in wine and others have not.

Included here is a screenshot of vanilla AvP with FXAA Tool vs AvP Redux with FXAA Tool.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Bonus screenshot of a remodeled Alien Warrior with the AvP Redux mod applied:

Posted Image

#431195 OS X Yosemite

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 20 October 2014 - 10:15 AM in Mac OS Related

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a terminal defaults command to reverse the behavior of the green traffic light button.

BTW, the maximize button never made windows go full screen in Windows.. it just made it full all available space except the taskbar... in other words "expand to fit the screen".  Also, I like the new full screen for certain apps especially media centers, games, and even my browser and using a swiping gesture to switch between them... and I'm not a switcher.. so there. :P If anything that behavior seems to be to cater to iDevice users. Also, (and I feel I'm stating the obvious here) but the old behavior of the green button isn't actually "expand to fit the screen" it's "expand to fit the content". That's why it went to different sizes depending on app and what it contains. There are exceptions of course like iTunes.

Speaking of Windows... I've heard the full screen function in Windows 10 doesn't act like it does in OS X. It doesn't make its own space and then close it when exiting full screen. Instead it's the borderless windowed full screen mode that some apps currently use where it simply takes over the space\desktop that it's in.

Also, I have my mouse scrolling the "old way" as well... and I have no interest in getting used to "natural" scrolling.. (more like unnatural IMO :cool:)

One last thing I'm choosing to NOT be an early adopter this time and wait for certain apps and utilities I use to be ready for Yosemite before I upgrade to it. Particularly the theming software I use for which a 2.0 version is being made for Yosemite right now. So, I'm still using Mavericks here for the time being.

#431159 GOG Galaxy announced

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 18 October 2014 - 10:18 AM in General

I'd give it a try but I signed up for GOG Galxy Beta haven't yet received a copy of it yet. However, the last time I tried AvP only the original version worked for me in Wine in OS X not the revamped version on Steam. On a unrelated but similar note AvP2 only ran for me in Cider.

#431114 Shame about the Mini...

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 16 October 2014 - 09:56 PM in Mac Hardware

GPU models aside does anyone really think that 5k gaming will go over well with even 4GB of VRAM? With older games perhaps but forget about next gen gaming. There are games that require that much just for 1080p gaming on high or ultra settings.

Also, to be frank in my opinion packing that amount of pixels into a 27 inch frame isn't the best way to take advantage of the increased resolution. I'd rather see that much resolution on a bigger screen.

MSI is making all-in-ones with the 970M and 980M GPUs with 8GB of VRAM but the monitors on them are limited to 1920x1080... and they cost $2,500... :bleedingeyes: They are also pretty damned ugly in my opinion.

http://www.pcgamer.c...-980m-and-970m/

#431111 Shame about the Mini...

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 16 October 2014 - 08:42 PM in Mac Hardware

On the one hand the price is good compared to the competition. On the other hand there's no GPU they could have fit in there to drive that display to its fullest potential especially not with gaming. Also, they've skimped out on the VRAM for what it is.. the top end being 4GB VRAM. On the other hand... 4GHz CPU! Finally a CPU that can take full advantage of Dolphin. :cool:

I don't know.. in my opinion the 5k monitor on the new iMac is an idea ahead of it's time. Now, if a Titan equivalent with 8GB of VRAM or better where available for it I might be singing a different tune. But even then if I got a 4k, or 5k monitor I'd want for it to be bigger than 27 inches.

Shoot, halfway through this I realized the original poster is probably not going to see this. I'm posting it anyway so others can see. I can't be the only one who thinks that a 5k monitor is impractical for an iMac. Perhaps that iMac is just the "photo editors" edition.

Personally I would have preferred a 21:9 34" 3440x1440 iMac. The hardware in it would more likely be able to drive games at that native resolution than the 5k resolution on the Retina iMac.

#431101 You know what needs an HD Remake

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 16 October 2014 - 09:49 AM in General

That'd be kind of a let down if that's all it was. But I guess we might not have guessed it because it was too obvious... :P

#431100 Steam DB Watch

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 16 October 2014 - 09:48 AM in General

It's certainly a different perspective in games. Where usually the protagonist is the one making the mess by killing Aliens\mutants\zombies rather than cleaning up the mess afterwards.

#431059 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 14 October 2014 - 07:39 AM in General

I wonde what's even going on with Sleeping Dogs Mac considering the depots for it are for the original release and not the slightly upgraded but lower performance version.. errr... I mean Definitive Edition. I mean... look at the Depots for original:

https://steamdb.info.../202170/depots/

Then compare it to the Definitive Edition:

https://steamdb.info.../307690/depots/

Also, I see reports of the new gen console versions running at sub-30FPS. Of course they probably call that truly cinematic. ;)

http://www.destructo...ve-282471.phtml

Read the DF article, frame-rate is nowhere near a constant 30fps and averages out at 25 on PS4 (lower on One). Also the lighting seems to be a lot less duller than in the original.

http://www.eurogamer...dition-face-off

#431054 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by Smoke_Tetsu on 13 October 2014 - 07:35 AM in General

DSO Gaming said Alien Isolation can be maxed out on a wide range of PC hardware it's also lighter on the VRAM requirements than Shadows of Mordor (2GB for Alien vs. the 4-6GB for Mordor). So I think it (Alien) might be the better candidate to port to the Mac than the latter (SoM). Although, I'd take either or both games if brought to the Mac.