What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1814 replies to this topic

#1661 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 28 January 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

Mini Metro - I like this one. You build networks that look like the famous multicolor London Tube map, with new stations popping up at random and you have to reroute your lines in response. It would be nice to have a stronger sense of progress-- high scores & leaderboards would help. There are targets to reach to unlock scenarios, which I guess is one measure of success..

FYI, at  least on iOS, there are daily challenges which does have a leaderboard.

When you’re in the mood, Thomas Was Alone is definitely worth finishing.

#1662 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:13 AM

View PostCougar, on 28 January 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Ive tried more than once to get into it. It's the interface that gets me, not the graphics. I'd be all over an "enhanced edition."
Yeah, the interface is definitely dated. Just something as simple as trying to pick a lock means a hell of a lot of clicks, which is quite annoying. And the mini map is awful, and the quest descriptions are horribly lacking or simply outright missing. But I do love your character sheet, because it is so condense and filled with information, along with options to really affect your character in hundreds of ways. And the gameplay is awesomesauce!

How does the gameplay and subtle humor of Fallout 1/2 compare to the later modern versions, such as New Vegas and Fallout 4? Comming straight from Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, I've really come to realize how badly executed I think the humor was in that game..
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1663 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 29 January 2018 - 04:13 AM, said:

How does the gameplay and subtle humor of Fallout 1/2 compare to the later modern versions, such as New Vegas and Fallout 4? Comming straight from Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, I've really come to realize how badly executed I think the humor was in that game..

Gameplay? Not much. They’re first person and more action oriented. I haven’t played FO4 because they further neutered the narrative and RPG mechanics. I’d say New Vegas has the best implementation of RPG mechanics (it has a faction system) and much better writing than the others—it was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda.

If you want the closest to the Fallout games play Wasteland 2. Original Fallout devs, isometric, party and turn-based. I haven’t finished it yet but I like it a lot. There’s also a third one coming. (The first one is from the 80s and not needed to get into 2.)

#1664 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

View PostCougar, on 28 January 2018 - 09:44 PM, said:

When you're in the mood, Thomas Was Alone is definitely worth finishing.

I will keep it around for a while longer then.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1665 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

I can't stop playing KOTOR. It might be my favorite game ever. I certainly have a bias towards it because it was my first RPG experience ever and probably was the catalyst to that becoming my favorite video game genre, but I still think its great game despite those biases (and it also blew my mind with that fraking twist, my goodness. I wonder if thats how people felt when they saw Empire Strikes Back).
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#1666 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

I've been playing Fallout 4, Fallout 4 and when taking a break, Fallout 4.  This is the most immersive game I've ever played.  My only complaint is that junk falls through surfaces such as countertops, tables, etc.  Apparently when you enter an area (such as the Red Rocket zone) Fallout first manifests the junk and then the surfaces the junk is setting on, giving it time for some of the junk to fall through the mesh of the table before the table is fully solidified.  At first I thought it was Raiders ransacking the joint, so I blocked it up so only I could get into the Red Rocket but the problem persisted so I looked up up on the Fallout wiki.  I really wanted to set up a cool looking home base household with tons of items and trophies.  Ah well, the rest of the game more than makes up for that little disappointment.  These days I look forward to stumbling upon a poor hapless Deathclaw, more meat and leather!

Oh yeah, In Borderlands running and turning and general maneuvering is like driving a high end sports car.  In Fallout 4 apparently I'm driving the family minivan.  But still, one gets accustomed to it and it ceases to be so noticeable until I play another shooter.

If you see Fallout 4 on sale, buy it.  Your RPG/FPS dreams will come true.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1667 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3951 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

Currently playing Cat Quest on my iPad, an action RPG. It is quite nice albeit somewhat shallow, but I like the looks of it, and there's a minor challenge in some of the fights. Good for couch, pooping or bed time gaming!

...And I had absolutely NO idea there were so many cat related puns in existance... O_o

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1668 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:52 AM

Hit us with some cat puns from Cat Quest.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1669 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 15 February 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

This is the most immersive game I've ever played.  My only complaint is that junk falls through surfaces such as countertops, tables, etc.

#1670 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

Think I have over 200 hours in Fallout 4 and still going. At this point, I have 90% of the salvageable items in Massachusetts stored in three footlockers in Sanctuary and about 16 sets of power armor parked under a carport. :w00t:

But is cool to explore areas in the game and find their analogues in Boston (near where I live). Fallon's Basement in Diamond City is a nod to Filene's Basement, formerly of Downtown Crossing in Boston, and Lake Quannapowitt is only about ten minutes away from my house. I found what more or less looked like my wife's office building in the Back Bay area of the game, and gave her a tour. That was cool.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#1671 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:30 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 February 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

Do we want him to post them meow, or later?

Also, should he post them one at a time, or do we want the whole kitten caboodle?
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1672 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 16 February 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

Currently playing Cat Quest on my iPad, an action RPG. It is quite nice albeit somewhat shallow, but I like the looks of it, and there's a minor challenge in some of the fights. Good for couch, pooping or bed time gaming!

...And I had absolutely NO idea there were so many cat related puns in existance... O_o

I played the demo and recommended it to my youngest daughter. I want to play the whole game myself at some point. I love cats!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#1673 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 17 February 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

Do we want him to post them meow, or later?

Also, should he post them one at a time, or do we want the whole kitten caboodle?

You sir just made my day.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1674 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:47 PM

Tonight I finished the epic adventure of Final Fantasy VII on the PS4. Despite its age, this truly is a timeless classic in my opinion. I’m so glad I gave it another chance early on when I questioned why I was I playing a game from 1997 on a PS4 with a hefty backlog of modern titles. Something made me want to press on and see why this series is so endearing to so many people. I think I know now. The game has so much going for it even after all these years with its beautiful music, wonderful characters, interesting take on character progression, battle system, large world to see and an excellent story with a fair number of surprising twists and turns. I became very attached to the characters in the game over time. Although it remains at 4:3 aspect ratio, the increased resolution and what I think was some work on the character and monster models really looked surprisingly good to me. Once I became invested in the story and characters the visual issues became unimportant and as sometimes happens when enjoying an old classic, the looks and some of the mechanics took on a certain nostalgic backdrop for what still is a great example of what an outstanding, single player, story driven role playing game can be. I really loved playing this game.

#1675 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

Just went through F.E.A.R.'s main campaign a 2nd time. First time was on normal, this time I played on Extreme and the difference was noticeable. I normally dont die a lot in games, even in Dark Souls, but I was dying at least once per level. Really challenging but very satisfying. It's also just a great shooter. Time to get into the expansions.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#1676 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

Went back and finished Thomas Was Alone.

Played "Papo y Yo" all the way through. (Decent game. Unusual setting: a surreal favela where you might turn a key and the buildings peel away, or sprout legs or wings. This dreamscape is made up of elements of the boy's real life, including a monster who is a reflection of his father: alternatively docile and abusive. The boy must shepherd the monster through the puzzles. It's the right length, not too long.)

Next up: some more Overload (Early Access).  They recently announced that the final game will be pushed to June to add multiplayer. The single-player portion of the game has been rock solid. If you were a fan of the 6DOF shooter Descent then I think Overload is a must-buy. (The competing project Descent: Underground seems to be struggling with scope creep.)
www.mindthecube.com

#1677 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Papa & Yo was a very moving experience for me because I understood on a deeply personal level what the creator of the game was trying to express and illustrate. For a certain audience the game is a powerful experience. For anyone else I think it offers an interesting window into the world too many children grow up in but then one child would be too many. I saw the simple gameplay and surreal visuals as simply a vehicle to tell an important story.

#1678 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:53 AM

Press X to Not Die: B (or is that C or Z) movie + QTEs. Very short: a standard difficulty playthrough lasts about 30 mn. Achievements will require more time, as usual. In which other game can you die from being staple gunned in the nuts? :cool:

#1679 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3951 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:11 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 February 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

You have got to be kitten me, can't you google yourself for meowsome games? Don't take your life so furry serious, so pawse for a minute, stroke your furry whiskers, and take a catnap while you do it. The game is completely filled with puns, and you can dress up your cat as a pawsome ninja wearing a katana with cool meowdifiers, and develop fur-ocious powerful magic spells like Healpaw, Lightnyan and Flamepurr to easily vanquish your foes! And you'll even get to battle the pawerful and meowsterious Drakoth..! So of this sounds pawsitively purrfect for you, pawse your life and take a trip to Felingard in Cat Quest and visit Furrbidden Fields, East Pawt or even The Catpital!

#1680 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:33 AM

Alright so Extraction Point was a LOT harder, but I dug it. The story was pretty interesting (although apparently the expansions arent canon so oh well). One of the dumber things about fear is that the shotgun is just way too good. I dont think I've ever dropped my shotgun in the main game or this expansion, which sucks cause there are a lot of cool guns, they just arent very good compared to that SPAS