What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1814 replies to this topic

#1601 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 October 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Mac Dead Island might fare better, I was playing the PC version.

You would think it might be better until you see it was ported by virtual programming. Then you would drink yourself to sleep.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#1602 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3951 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostAtticus, on 23 October 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

Would love to try DD, but I can't get past the turn-based mechanic of old school RPGs. :-(
It is an action adventure like Diablo, it is not turn based.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1603 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

Recently played:
- Evoland 2: JRPG + countless mini games of nearly everytype in videogame history (beat em up, shoot em up, side scrolling, top scrolling, runner, you name it) rendered like 4 bit, 8, 16 and 32 bit consoles/computers
- Sakura Dungeon: dungeon crawler meets hentai
- Full Throttle Remastered: classic 1995 Lucasarts adventure game modernized

#1604 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

Agents of Mayhem, the spiritual successor to  the Saints Row franchise which I enjoy tremendously.  This game takes place after Saints Row: Gat out of hell where Johnny Gat has recreated Earth that was destroyed in SR 4.  So far I'm having a great time, no noticeable bugs and not a single crash unlike in Saints Row two and 3.  This is a third person shooter with RPG style classes and leveling up.  You control a team of 3 agents which you can switch to and from at any time in the fight with the mouse wheel.  It's feels much like swapping weapons as each agent uses different weapons.  Shotgun agent for close in, pistols for midrange, and a rifle for distance shots.  You collect cash, scraps and elements etc to help you craft mods and perks for each character while you fight through your missions.  This is not your simple RPG style of leveling up, indeed you do level up with experience points and you do improve your character stats with each level but you are also leveling your special ability and Gremlin Tech weapons.  There is also a Mayhem ability that works much like the Borderlands scheme, but it is recharged by kills not time.  

Like I said, I'm having a great time with it.  Battle Cat recommended.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1605 Laurensvo

Laurensvo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Steam ID:laurensvo

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

Have any of you played Observer? Is it worth it?

#1606 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

I think it's time to delve into witcher 3. Wish me luck.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#1607 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

View Postnick68k, on 22 October 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

This is one of my most memorable 'gaming' experiences in recent years. Like you, I played it through of an evening, but the experience really struck a deep chord with me.

[..]

I still go back to Jacobsen's Island on occasion to listen to the wind, the sea and the music.
I've listened to the soundtrack a couple times since, really enjoying it. But I'm wondering how much I'd like it if I hadn't played the game. I mean it's good stuff, but I suspect there is extra emotion attached to it now because of the game. But I guess that's pretty normal for game/movie soundtracks.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1608 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:11 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 28 October 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

I've listened to the soundtrack a couple times since, really enjoying it. But I'm wondering how much I'd like it if I hadn't played the game. I mean it's good stuff, but I suspect there is extra emotion attached to it now because of the game. But I guess that's pretty normal for game/movie soundtracks.

Definitely. I feel like all the Game of Thrones soundtracks would mean a lot less if I wasn't thinking about the scenes at the same time.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#1609 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

I finished the main campaign of Destiny 2 yesterday and had an absolute blast. They improved the game compared to Destiny 1 on basically every level. It no longer feels like a disjointed mess but now has an actual (albeit rather unimaginative and uninspired) plot, colourful supporting characters (the deranged, but cheerful Failsafe AI is my favourite), and a coherent world. There are more and more interesting things to do in the open world and far less grind. And the game is gorgeous: Destiny 1 already looked good, but the sequel is simply stunning.

The only things I'm not too fond of so far are the new loot system, which has been streamlined a bit too much, thus reducing the variety of obtainable items quite a bit, and that it's quite easy to overlevel your character for the story missions, thus making the later missions a bit too unchallenging. And it's a bit of a pity that the enemies are virtually all reused from the first part.
Spoiler

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1610 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 24 October 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

It is an action adventure like Diablo, it is not turn based.

ORLY???? Wow, I did not know. OK, must buy DD2. Thanks for heads-up.

Destiny 2 is also on my radar, but christ, my backlog is growing (as are my kids), and my free time continues to shrink. Over halfway through Andromeda and just started New Colossus. Meanwhile, games like Witcher 3 remain neglected....
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#1611 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Yes, I listen to it too if I need some focus music to help me with writing or study. I'd probably like it if I hadn't played the game, but then I'd never have discovered it, so...
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#1612 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 21 October 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

Played and finished Dear Esther: Landmark Edition.

It was pretty much exactly what I was in the mood for: a short, self-contained experience. There is no gameplay to speak of- the player can only walk around, look, and listen. The narrative fragments were interesting and vague enough that I found myself thinking about them for a while after I finished.
What order did the events occur in? How much was literal, how much metaphor or imaginary?

The island felt bleak, lonely, and completely natural (except for the man-made structures of course.) It is impressive both technically and in its subtle level design. The music is very good- at times it reminded me of Myst, the way some locations were accompanied by a rush of music.

Dear Esther ended up being an interesting diversion. Not long or interactive enough for me to take it very seriously as a game, but I'm glad I spent the evening with it.

Your post made me play the game that I found after rummaging through the huge back log. I found the developers commentary more interesting than the "game" itself. The sound track (including noises) is top notch, and graphics are good. However, I preferred other walking simulators like Gone Home and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (and at least the latter includes a run key), but since Dear Esther created the genre, it's only natural other games later refined it. And it's not bad either! I may check out their next game, Everybody's Gone to Rapture.

Previously, I played Broken Age, a point&click adventure game. I usually like Double Fine games, and this one is no exception; except some devilish puzzles in act 2 which basically require a walkthrough unless you want to search the solution for hours (like we did in the good old days without the Internet).

#1613 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

However, I preferred other walking simulators like Gone Home and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (and at least the latter includes a run key), but since Dear Esther created the genre, it's only natural other games later refined it. And it's not bad either! I may check out their next game, Everybody's Gone to Rapture.

Since you've reminded me, I shall dig out my Gone Home installer.. (Unfortunately I've had that story spoiled for me, but I expect its still worth playing.)

It's an interesting question, whether Dear Esther invented the genre. Maybe a sub-genre? I'm pretty sure there's plenty of prior art, as far as wandering around collecting bits of a story. But they elevated it to new experience, I think. There's a minimalism to the story-- a lot is left to the imagination, and the game gives you time to ponder it as you listen to the wind and wander the cliffs. Older games didn't have as much the luxury of spending their scarce CPU and disk space that way.

I'm not enough of a historian to answer questions like these but i like to think about them.

Previously, I played Broken Age, a point&click adventure game. I usually like Double Fine games, and this one is no exception; except some devilish puzzles in act 2 which basically require a walkthrough unless you want to search the solution for hours (like we did in the good old days without the Internet).

Another game that's in my backlog. I've been scared to try it because I simply don't have the patience (or much time) to bang my head against the puzzles like we used to. I feel guilty reading spoilers, yet frustrated if I'm stuck. It's a shame-- adventures used to be my favorite genre.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1614 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6173 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:32 AM

Stayed up late to play the first mission of Call of Duty: WWII. Verdict: AWESOME. First time I have bought a CoD in ages and it looks like this time it actually paid off with an emotion other than regret. Graphics as usual are toned down with consoles in mind, but the feel felt like Call of Duty 1 came back from the dead. I definitely hope it keeps up for the rest of the game.

I just hope it doesn't digress in a couple missions into the 800th retelling of "you are a Soviet sniper like in Enemy at the Gates" or I'm going to groan and facepalm.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#1615 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3951 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:56 AM

I am still on Divine Divinity. It is clearly a 5/5 for me. Looks aged, but its a blast to play with a really nicely made up world. More than 25 hours in, and I think I am little more than half way now (Completionist mind you).

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1616 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

Here is a second opinion about the soundtrack from someone who has not played the game.  I've been playing the official Dear Esther soundtrack for the last 40 minutes.  It would fit without disruption into the background music my wife and I play at home on the Spa channel of Sirius XM.  It's very suitable for general activities as well as reading and thinking.  I get a diffused melancholy feeling from some of it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1617 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 November 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

Here is a second opinion about the soundtrack from someone who has not played the game.  I've been playing the official Dear Esther soundtrack for the last 40 minutes.  It would fit without disruption into the background music my wife and I play at home on the Spa channel of Sirius XM.  It's very suitable for general activities as well as reading and thinking.  I get a diffused melancholy feeling from some of it.

Jessica Curry's other stuff is great, too, especially her Everybody's Gone to The Rapture score.

Also, get on playing the game, fool. It's fantastic and over in just a few hours.

#1618 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:42 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 02 November 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

It's an interesting question, whether Dear Esther invented the genre. Maybe a sub-genre? I'm pretty sure there's plenty of prior art, as far as wandering around collecting bits of a story. But they elevated it to new experience, I think. There's a minimalism to the story-- a lot is left to the imagination, and the game gives you time to ponder it as you listen to the wind and wander the cliffs. Older games didn't have as much the luxury of spending their scarce CPU and disk space that way.

I'm not enough of a historian to answer questions like these but i like to think about them.

The developers explained (in the devs commentary) that the "walking simulator" expression first appeared when Dear Esther was released, as a free Half-Life 2 mod in 2008 (before becoming a commercial game in 2012, then remastered in 2017).

#1619 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

Prey (the old one) was on sale for a couple bucks, and I'd lost my old license key (which IIRC I won by telling a bad joke on Apyyr's facebook page.) So I bought it again and I am finally playing through it.

It's very linear, and about halfway through they started reusing whole rooms in a few places. But it's fun and runs well. Looks pretty good for its age. The portals and wall-walking are fun, and the difficulty is a good fit for casual play.

The other game I was playing was Don't Starve, for iOS. It's a good game but I'm not (good, that is.) Granted, you are SUPPOSED to die a lot as you figure things out. I don't have endless time to experiment though so I finally broke down and read some wiki pages. I eventually managed to survive up to the first winter snow, and the urge to keep playing has left me for now.  Good stuff, creepy and funny, but requires a time commitment and a masochistic streak.
www.mindthecube.com

#1620 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3951 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:15 AM

The original Prey was a gem. Unfortunate they didn't do a proper sequel, or even just the announced-but-canceled-sequel, which did look pretty nice.