4 replies to this topic

#1 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

Survival horror game SOMA is getting an update that removes the "survival" aspect of it. Monsters won't kill you.
http://frictionalgames.blogspot.fr

I wanted to mention it here because that's the kind of gameplay mode I always wanted to play in these games. I like exploring, enjoying a good storyline. I like scary atmospheres, but I don't particularly enjoy being killed or being afraid for my life. This is what's prevented me from purchasing SOMA... so far.

I play all games on the easiest setting, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :baby:

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1373 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

SOMA was never a particularly scary game. It's psychological-"scary" if anything. It brings up interesting questions about the nature of the self and personhood.

The horror elements always felt shoehorned in; I felt like they were put in there because Frictional didn't want to get accused of making a Walking Sim. (Like the Machine for Pigs Devs). There was actually a mod released a while ago that did this already.

BTW if you've played it and you'd like more science fiction that deals with these themes, I recommend the work of Greg Egan, especially Permutation City and Diaspora.

#3 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:21 AM

So I finished the game. Good story, with interesting "metaphysical" implications, even though I had thought about all these questions before.
Some parts of certain levels are still a bit boring and bring little to the game, there are cheap jump scares and unanswered questions, but I enjoyed the game overall.

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1373 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

Glad you liked it.

"Answered questions" are overrated. It's the unanswered ones that you think about.

#5 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

I hope you stuck around after the credits…
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB