#61 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4568 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 30 June 2021 - 01:31 AM

Episode IV: A New Hope (FedEx might have found it?)
Episode V: The Clone Wars (FedEx accidentally shipped you a wrong monitor)
Episode VI: The Rise of LG (They ship you a new monitor)
Christmas Special (You accidentally destroy your new monitor v2 while high on egg nog)
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#62 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

Hah. It's probably a big box, right? In my experience, since the pandemic FedEx loves to prioritize smaller packages, so sometimes bigger things can get stuck in a "pending" state for a bit. They aren't lost, just not moving.

#63 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

View PostCougar, on 30 June 2021 - 12:59 PM, said:

Hah. It's probably a big box, right? In my experience, since the pandemic FedEx loves to prioritize smaller packages, so sometimes bigger things can get stuck in a "pending" state for a bit. They aren't lost, just not moving.
Interesting. So instead of complaining that it's late this time, I should be grateful it was delivered on schedule the last 2 times..

But that would require maturity and patience. Not sure I have it in me, frankly.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#64 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 10:06 AM

Did it ever arrive? I have two FedEx packages, neither of them big, that are going to miss their delivery date. The one before that (very large) missed it by a few days.

#65 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 07:45 PM

Yes, it arrived 3 days after it was scheduled (Thu instead of Mon.)

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#66 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 03:36 AM

Finally got the monitor back, and hallelujah it works this time. Support says they replaced the entire panel this time.

LG's miserable website still doesn't tell me anything, I had to call support for every status update (except I was sent a fedex tracking number whenever they shipped it back.)
Phone support remained decent. Though they were unable to tell me how much these repairs would have cost outside of warranty-- I thought it would be good to know that for future reference.

www.mindthecube.com

#67 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:57 PM

View PostCougar, on 01 June 2021 - 12:10 PM, said:

I have noticed a small downside with the tiny bezels: If I fully seat my webcam on the monitor, it acts as a screen "notch." But I can precariously perch it atop OK, and I'll only be using it for working from home anyway.

Legos.  

My Razer Kiyo does this on the monitor i have it sitting on.  I put a single wide lego under it on its flat surface.  Raises it just enough so that it still catches and sits right but is no longer a self-inflicted notch.

#68 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:53 AM

Since the larger iMac is supposed to be delayed until 2022 I'm considering to buy a MBP 14"/16" and an external monitor. I've been researching like crazy and was thinking of buying a 4K monitor but read that running 1440p on a 4K monitor stress the GPU twice since MacOS first scales the image up to 5120 x 2880 and then scales down to 2560 x 1440. Does this also happens in games and means that running games at 1440p on a 4K monitor would actually decrease the performance compared to a native 1440p monitor?

#69 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 04:43 PM

View PostHomy, on 10 August 2021 - 08:53 AM, said:

Since the larger iMac is supposed to be delayed until 2022 I'm considering to buy a MBP 14"/16" and an external monitor. I've been researching like crazy and was thinking of buying a 4K monitor but read that running 1440p on a 4K monitor stress the GPU twice since MacOS first scales the image up to 5120 x 2880 and then scales down to 2560 x 1440. Does this also happens in games and means that running games at 1440p on a 4K monitor would actually decrease the performance compared to a native 1440p monitor?

You aren’t actually running it in 1440p in that case because of the scaling involved. (That’s why it slays “looks like 1440p” in Displays.) In a game, if you select that resolution then you’re running it in that resolution, no scaling. So performance-wise it’s like a native display. However, because you’re not running it at a native resolution, it’ll be a bit blurry. AMD has integer scaling so you could run a game at 1080p on a 4K display without blur. Not sure if they support this feature in macOS, though, or if Apple supports it with Apple Silicon.

#70 Homy

Homy

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:18 AM

View PostCougar, on 10 August 2021 - 04:43 PM, said:

You aren't actually running it in 1440p in that case because of the scaling involved. (That's why it slays "looks like 1440p" in Displays.) In a game, if you select that resolution then you're running it in that resolution, no scaling. So performance-wise it's like a native display. However, because you're not running it at a native resolution, it'll be a bit blurry. AMD has integer scaling so you could run a game at 1080p on a 4K display without blur. Not sure if they support this feature in macOS, though, or if Apple supports it with Apple Silicon.

Yes, obviously a 4K monitor can't show 1440p natively and will scale the resolution to fit the image but i was worried that performance-wise running games at 1440p would actually be like running them natively at 2880p since 1440p is HiDPI on MacOS. Do you have any source to the fact that games don't run with HiDPI on MacOS, but with actual resolution?

I saw this video by MrMacRight where running Metro Exodus in low resolution mode didn't make a difference so it seems that games will run at the resolution you choose and not with Retina resolution. Another solution is to choose native 4K resolution for the UI and run the games at lower rendering resolution for better performance, in games like Fortnite. Not all games have such video settings though.

So is there a visible difference in image quality when running games at scaled 1440p on a 4K monitor vs. at native 1440p on a 2K monitor?

#71 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:20 AM

View PostHomy, on 12 August 2021 - 08:18 AM, said:

So is there a visible difference in image quality when running games at scaled 1440p on a 4K monitor vs. at native 1440p on a 2K monitor?

I haven’t tried that specific combination, but it should be a bit blurry because it’s non-native. Back when I had a 24” 4K with a 970, I’d play in 1080p for AAA games. For some games it was hard to tell. Main issue was terrible-looking text which running the UI at 4K would solve, but that’s a rare option.

#72 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:47 PM

View PostHomy, on 12 August 2021 - 08:18 AM, said:

Yes there is a quite obvious difference. The native 1440p image looks significantly better.

1440p on a 4K monitor looks passable imho, but the difference is quite obvious when you compare against a native 1440p monitor that doesn't require any kind of scaling.
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#73 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 01:00 AM

If you want to run at 1440p non-native and not have it look like trash, youd want to be running a 5k display (5120x2880) as that is double the resolution in both directions so when it scaled down to 1440p it would simply be running halved.  (Or, more precisely, 5k is to 1440p as 4k is to 1080p - 4 times the pixels).  

It will still look not as good as running the native 5K, but it wont look nearly as blurry as 1440p on a 4k display which doesn't scale down neatly and will look a little fuzzy.  

Unless you're a serious graphical fidelity while gaming person (which i dont think you are or you wouldnt be running your games on MacOS to begin with) it will be fine.  You wont notice a massive difference.  Not like you would trying to run it at native 4k at least, which would be pretty much unplayable since it takes a 3080 to reliably hit 4k/60 in modern titles.

#74 Homy

Homy

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 09:34 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 14 August 2021 - 01:00 AM, said:

If you want to run at 1440p non-native and not have it look like trash, youd want to be running a 5k display (5120x2880) as that is double the resolution in both directions so when it scaled down to 1440p it would simply be running halved.  (Or, more precisely, 5k is to 1440p as 4k is to 1080p - 4 times the pixels).  

It will still look not as good as running the native 5K, but it wont look nearly as blurry as 1440p on a 4k display which doesn't scale down neatly and will look a little fuzzy.  

Unless you're a serious graphical fidelity while gaming person (which i dont think you are or you wouldnt be running your games on MacOS to begin with) it will be fine.  You wont notice a massive difference.  Not like you would trying to run it at native 4k at least, which would be pretty much unplayable since it takes a 3080 to reliably hit 4k/60 in modern titles.

Yes, I know a 5K monitor like iMac 27" is best for downscaling but currently either there are no external 5K monitors to buy or they are expensive like LG UF 27MD5KL. Actually it's the only 5K monitor besides Apple Pro Display you can find and even that is out of stock almost everywhere. Is 1080p sharper than 1440p on a 4K monitor in games in your opinion?

#75 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 August 2021 - 01:30 PM

View PostHomy, on 14 August 2021 - 09:34 AM, said:

Yes, I know a 5K monitor like iMac 27" is best for downscaling but currently either there are no external 5K monitors to buy or they are expensive like LG UF 27MD5KL. Actually it's the only 5K monitor besides Apple Pro Display you can find and even that is out of stock almost everywhere. Is 1080p sharper than 1440p on a 4K monitor in games in your opinion?

1080p would likely look better on a 4K display due to the linear scaling that tetsuya mentioned above. 4K is 'pixel doubled' 1080p; 5K is 'pixel doubled' 1440p. As such, 1080p on a 4K monitor can be scaled at an even ratio (A square of four 4K pixels = one 1080p pixel). If you want the best looking (and significantly cheaper) setup then I would just get a decent 1080p/1440p monitor and use that for games. A 1080p 144Hz monitor with decent color quality is half the price of a mediocre 4K monitor.

One thing that I have noticed in with my hardware setups over the years is that over speccing a monitor can be an expensive and sometimes frustrating experience. If you want to game at 1080p/144Hz with high/ultra settings then you only need a midrange setup these days (Even an older used GPU like a 2060 or 5600XT can do the job fine). If you have a 1440p or 4K monitor, especially a 144Hz one then you start to require much more powerful hardware in order to hit 100+ fps at those resolutions at the same graphics settings. 1440p/144Hz certainly looks nicer then 1080p/144Hz but you have to factor in the extra cost of the monitor plus the extra cost of the hardware. It can end up being a $1000+ difference if you are trying to target all of the eye candy + framerate at the higher resolutions.
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#76 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 10:37 PM

View PostHomy, on 14 August 2021 - 09:34 AM, said:

I dont have a 4k monitor available to test this out.  But i'd have to imagine that 4k > 1080p would probably look a little sharper just because itd be a perfect downscale.  But im very definitely possibly wrong.

Edit:  You know i sorta can do this.  My TV is 4k.  

my HTPC cant run anything at 4K or 1440p but if i feel froggy i can take my gaming rig out there and plug it in (which is more than capable with an RTX 3080 and an 8600K @  5.1ghz).  

No guarantee there.  Depends on if i get my housework done and still have energy.

#77 Homy

Homy

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 09:17 AM

Thanks everyone! Yes I know that 1080p is evenly downscaled but at the same time the pixels will be larger than 1440p on 27". This was harder than I expected. I have narrowed down my choices to ca 17 monitors from Dell, LG, Benq, Viewsonic and Asus. My problem is that I want a monitor for both gaming and photography so it's not an easy choice. Every monitor has some flaw but I think I settle for 60 Hz. I guess I have to visit a store and test some monitors and 27" iMacs. :)

Btw Rtings.com is a great site for comparing monitors but unfortunately they haven't tested many of my choices.

#78 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17750 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 01:28 PM

I'm a little late to this fizzy party but I really enjoy my 27" ROG PG279Q display.  It is specifically engineered to game on.  It has a low latency and excellent graphics characteristics, well at least for me.  It has lots of bells and whistles to help you tweak the monitor.  This ought to work well for photography.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#79 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 04:56 PM

Keep in mind this is on a 55” 4K TV (Vizio D series).  

4k native looks great, obviously.  Even my 3080 struggles to consistently hit 60fps at 4K in very modern games (at High/Ultra)

1440p scaled still looks good, but a bit blurry, like the textures are a little smeary.  It still looks good.  
Setting the GPU to do the scaling instead (so the GPU does the scaling to 1440p instead of whatever processing is done by the TV) in the nVidia control panel was sharper, but still obviously scaled.  (This is not the same as setting the in-game render scale, which renders the image at X resolution then inflates it to the native res, which was universally the worst looking of the options in the games i tested).  Wont be available in MacOs though.  

1080p scaled looked “sharper”, as in not so smeary, but obviously aliased and blocky because of the 4 to 1 pixel ratio involved, but this woukd likely b a lot less noticeable on a ~30ish inch monitor vs a 55” TV, especially if you have the horsepower to crank up the Anti-aliasing.  

If i had to choose, id go with 1440p scaled because the slightly blurred textures are entirely forgettable after a few mintes, whereas the obviously chunky bits at 1080p scaling were more consistently noticeable to me. YMMV.

Edit: FWIW, a good ultrawide 1440p (3440x1440) monitor might be more suitable for you.  You get extra screen real estate for photo work, and you can simply run games at 16:9 1440p natively (youll just get black bars on the sides, like letterboxing) with no scaling, if you dont have the GPU muscle to run them 21:9 (or the game doesnt support it).  But its more likely youll be able to run UW 1440p than 4k as it is still an order of magnitude easier on a GPU than 4k.  (Just shy of 5 million pixels at UW 1440p vs 8.2 million for “4K”/UHD)

#80 Homy

Homy

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:55 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 15 August 2021 - 01:28 PM, said:

I'm a little late to this fizzy party but I really enjoy my 27" ROG PG279Q display.  It is specifically engineered to game on.  It has a low latency and excellent graphics characteristics, well at least for me.  It has lots of bells and whistles to help you tweak the monitor.  This ought to work well for photography.

The successor to that is PG279QZ. Unfortunately both are 8-bit monitors with poor black uniformity and insufficient color gamut for photography according to Rtings. I need 8-bit + FRC at least. I think I have found my favorite. It's a 4K LG 27UP850 with 95% P3 color gamut like iMacs and 96W USB-C.  :)