#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8307 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:29 AM

Did you enjoy Obsidian's and inXile's latest releases for the Mac, like Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Tyranny, Wasteland 2, and Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Well, no more.

Microsoft just bought both of these studios, and made pretty clear that anything coming from Obsidian or inXile in the future will be Microsoft, primarily Xbox, exclusives:

Together, the two new studios bolster Microsoft Studios to now include 13 distinct and diverse game development teams. We’re focused on implementing new Microsoft technologies, delivering content for new platforms and services like Xbox Game Pass, and creating exclusive games that turn players into loyal Xbox fans.

inXile at least explained that their already announced crowdfunded projects (i.e. Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3) will still be cross-platform releases.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

Reading around it seemed POE2 bombed pretty hard. Also, Chris Avellone has some interesting things to say about management problems at Obsidian. I'll pour one out for isometric RPGs in the meantime.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#3 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:04 AM

Yeah I saw the news of the impending acquisition of Obsidian by Microsoft, but woke up today to see they bought not only Obsidian but inXile
too. :crying:

I can say that most of my gaming time over the last few years has been from 4 indie developers, Paradox, Larian, Obsidian, and InXile.

I wish both Obsidian and inXile well, I can understand why they did what they did, but I am certainly not happy that we will be losing out on whatever games they come out with in the years to come. And yeah we'll probably still get Wasteland 3 from inXile, and maybe that unannounced RPG from Obsidian if they were planning on a Mac release before they were acquired, but it will be the last we'll see from these developers.

Microsoft seems to understand people like games and proactively acquires promising developers. Apple has boat loads of money and could easily go on its own buying spree, and yet sits there counting its money made from iPhones and in-app purchases rather than using it to strengthen gaming on the Mac.

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:34 PM

Disappointing, not surprising. Crowdfunding is not the goldmine it was and from the sound of things Obsidian was pretty close to closing its doors.

Unlike, say, EA, Microsoft is apparently pretty hands-off, and the studios will remain autonomous. So in the best-case scenario, we'll get an even bigger Pillars 3 (or a Pillars 3 at all) with better production quality. As long as the UI isn't ruined from developing it for consoles and it's not W10-store only, I'll be happy. Sucks for Mac and Linux-only people, though.

#5 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:32 PM

I wonder what this'll mean for PoE etc. patches going forward. I don't have it installed on this machine, but I assume they're all good 64-bit citizens?
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:08 PM

View Postnick68k, on 11 November 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

I wonder what this'll mean for PoE etc. patches going forward. I don't have it installed on this machine, but I assume they're all good 64-bit citizens?

Yes, they're all Unity games and are on the Mac App Store.

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:06 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 November 2018 - 04:29 AM, said:

Did you enjoy Obsidian's and inXile's latest releases for the Mac, like Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Tyranny, Wasteland 2, and Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Well, no more.

Microsoft just bought both of these studios, and made pretty clear that anything coming from Obsidian or inXile in the future will be Microsoft, primarily Xbox, exclusives:

inXile at least explained that their already announced crowdfunded projects (i.e. Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3) will still be cross-platform releases.

sounds goodman, love my xbox.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:22 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 November 2018 - 04:29 AM, said:

Well, no more.

As long as they stick by their policy of dual-releasing for Windows I'm kinda okay with it. At least Macs can still Bootcamp their way to the games, play through GeForce now, and/or I can play on my PC and I won't be forced to turn on that box with the world's worst GUI known to man and the funky thumbsticks that lives next to my PC.

Better than those studios closing their doors as it sounds like may have been the alternative I suppose. Beats EA or Activision getting their hands on them.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8307 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 November 2018 - 05:11 AM

View PostFrost, on 18 November 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

As long as they stick by their policy of dual-releasing for Windows I'm kinda okay with it. At least Macs can still Bootcamp their way to the games, play through GeForce now, and/or I can play on my PC and I won't be forced to turn on that box with the world's worst GUI known to man and the funky thumbsticks that lives next to my PC.
Well, the whole thing goes a bit further than just Windows exclusivity. WIth almost 100% certainty, any future Obsidian and inXile games will only be available on the world's worst App Store, be completely locked down and unmoddable, strictly DRM protected, and probably only playable with that funky thumbsticks even on PC.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:25 AM

WIndows, gross.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:45 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 18 November 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

Well, the whole thing goes a bit further than just Windows exclusivity. WIth almost 100% certainty, any future Obsidian and inXile games will only be available on the world's worst App Store, be completely locked down and unmoddable, strictly DRM protected, and probably only playable with that funky thumbsticks even on PC.

Yeah... there is that.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.