What are your favourite/best Mac games? You wishlist for Mac?

favourite mac game best mac game wishlist

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:39 AM

What are your favourite Mac games? What games do you consider the best games for the Mac? What Mac games have already been released and would you like to play? What games would you wish had a Mac release?

These are the favourite Mac games, Mac games I consider the best:
- Doom 3: Played it on Windows and later replayed it on the Mac and it's still a fantastic FPS.
- Prey: See Doom 3: Simply a fantastic and very original FPS.
- Mafia II: Played the first game on Windows and considered it a great game with a beautiful and very good story and a soundtrack which delivers a good atmosphere. Played Mafia II on the Mac and it's even better than the first game. Just a shame the game's so short and there's no free-ride. The game's just so good, after finishing it wished there was more of it.
- Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun: Commandos and Desperados were very good and enjoyable games. This game just takes all that's good about those games and even manages to improve them. After finishing it I wished there was more of it. The same developers are now working on Desperados III, which I'm really looking forward to.

These games have already been released for the Mac, but I haven't had the time to play them, but they're definitely on my wishlist:
- Rage: I've always enjoyed games from id Software and I'm sure I'll also enjoy this one.
- Mafia III: From what I've heard it's not of the same quality as the first two games in the series, but I'd still want to play it.
- The new Tomb Raider games: They look like enjoyable games of good quality.
- The Metro games: They look very interesting and having the option to play the game with Russian voices is a big plus for me. I also played Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun in Japanese. It just adds to the realism of the game.
- The Life is Strange games: I like games with a good storyline and these games seem to have a very good one.

These games don't have a Mac release, but they would be an instant buy for me if they were released for the Mac:
- The 2016 iteration of Doom and the upcoming Doom: Eternal: I've played the 2016 version of Doom on Windows and it's a really good FPS.
- The new Wolfenstein games.
- The upcoming Rage 2: Unfortunately Rage was the last game from id Software to be released for the Mac. The new Doom and Wolfenstein games are only available for Windows, so I don't think we can expect Rage 2 to be released for the Mac.
- The updated version of Age of Empires II (HD edition or whatever it's called): I've played the original Age of Empires II for hundreds of hours back in the days on Windows and even today I play it from time to time. I never get bored from playing skirmish missions in this game.
- Far Cry: Also an older game, but stil very enjoyable. It's a game that get's incredibly difficult towards the end, but I've always considered it to be a very good FPS.
- Max Payne and Max Payne 2: I think both of them have been released for PPC. It's a shame macOS doesn't have the backwards compatibility of Windows, because I've always enjoyed these games and would really want to play them again without having to rely on Windows.
- Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: See the Max Payne games.
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Again, see the Max Payne games.
- Mafia: The second and third game of the series are available for the Mac. The first one is also a very good game and I'd really like to be able to play the whole series on my Mac without having to rely on Windows for the first one.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:44 AM

The Metro series is great. Playing the just-released third game now and loving it. Iíd be surprised if it makes it to the Mac, though. The third is very similar to the Stalker series (some of the same developers) which I also recommend if you prefer more open world games.

Max Payne 1 was released by MacSoft back in the day. Iím sure you could get the windows versions of 1 and 2 to work in Wine since theyíre old enough.

Loved Shadow Tactics too. Canít wait for Desperados.

My top five Mac games are Alpha Centauri, Riven, Baldurís Gate II, Ferazelís Wand, and Warcraft III. I think Iím old.

#3 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

FWIW the Life is Strange series is excellent (and speaking as someone who wouldn't normally touch those kind of games). All I'll say is avoid spoilers at all cost, and jump into the world of Arcadia Bay. They're outstanding games.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#4 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1548 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:18 AM

Off the top of my head, the game I've played through a couple of times; BioShock Infinite. I can't say about it (regarding the game play and story line) what hasn't been said many times over, and Aspyr did a great job optimizing it.
I first saw Unreal running on Mac at MacWorld Expo on a Mac edition Voodoo card. I really enjoyed the immersive atmosphere of the game. If it had better writer-ship, akin to that of the Marathon series (1 & 2 are on this list for me, Infinity didn't do it for me) and original Halo, another two great games, it would have been a lot more memorable.

Games I've played (finished or not) and really enjoyed; Prey, Diablo III, Doom 3, RAGE (ending was typing id), Falcon 4.0, Max Payne 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Dead Effect, Dying Light, Half Life 2, Left for Dead 2, Mad Max, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (great action!), Metro: 2033 & Last Light, Painkiller: Hell & Damnation, SOMA, Tomb Raider (& Rise of), Torchlight (haven't played II yet), Dragon Age: Origins, The Talos Principle, Portal 1 & 2, and Shadow Warrior.

Honorable mention: Arashi. I'm still waiting for someone to port it from the 68k code.

Wishlist (instant buy if made available for macOS); NIER: Automata, Fallout 4, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (already own via Steam), Ashen, Death Stranding (I'll keep smoking), Killing Floor 2, Witchfire (Not Released but would be my rare pre-order), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Cyberpunk 2077, The Last of Us (2 is looking amazing), Mass Effect 1 & 2, Inside, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, anything else?
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#5 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:15 AM

View PostCougar, on 03 March 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

My top five Mac games are Alpha Centauri, Riven, Baldur's Gate II, Ferazel's Wand, and Warcraft III. I think I'm old.

You're not that old: your favorites could be Dark Castle, Shufflepuck Cafe, Stellar 7 or Rise of the Dragon. :D

#6 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:10 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 04 March 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

You're not that old: your favorites could be Dark Castle, Shufflepuck Cafe, Stellar 7 or Rise of the Dragon. :D

+ Uninvited. (and if we're really going prehistoric, Sacred Armour of Antiriad on the C64, and Rocket Ranger and Faery Tale on the Amiga).

Anyway. My favourite games on the Mac from more recent times; the Infinity Engine RPGs, Dragon Age Origins, Spiderweb Software's Exile/Avernum series, Diablo II, the original Torchlight, WoW (boo), the Life is Strange series, Planetbase, Tomb Raider Anniversary.

And yes, I'd love to see a release of Skyrim for the Mac (laughter).

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4151 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

Baldur's Gate I + II, Civilization IV, Heroes of Newerth, Diablo I + II, Realmz, Escape Velocity: Nova, WOW vanilla up to WotLK, Warcraft II + III, Half Life 2, Marathon series, The Dig, Borderlands 2, Divine Divinity: Original Sin, FTL, Homeworld 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island I + II, Prey, Loony Labyrinth, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Starcraft I, SteamWorld Dig, The Witcher, Assassin's Creed 2, Atom Zombie Smasher, Bioshock I + II, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Capsized, Blood Bowl, Heroes of Might and Magic II, Summoner.

Phew!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#8 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostCougar, on 03 March 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

The Metro series is great. Playing the just-released third game now and loving it. I'd be surprised if it makes it to the Mac, though. The third is very similar to the Stalker series (some of the same developers) which I also recommend if you prefer more open world games.

Max Payne 1 was released by MacSoft back in the day. I'm sure you could get the windows versions of 1 and 2 to work in Wine since they're old enough.

Yeah, I also don't have high hopes the third Metro game is going to make it to the Mac, but let's just hope it will.

I still own the Windows versions of Max Payne and Max Payne 2. It's a shame you can just install old games (or whatever software) on Windows and most of the times it just works while compatibility of Mac versions keeps on breaking over and over again. The switch from Mac OS Classic to Mac OS X, the switch from PowerPC to Intel and now the end of 32-bit is going to kill compatibility for even more games and apps. I'd wish I could just buy old games for the Mac from eBay and just install and play them like Windows users can. It's a shame we have to rely on Windows versions even though the game was actually released for the Mac back in the days.

View Postnick68k, on 03 March 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

FWIW the Life is Strange series is excellent (and speaking as someone who wouldn't normally touch those kind of games). All I'll say is avoid spoilers at all cost, and jump into the world of Arcadia Bay. They're outstanding games.

That's exactly what I've been doing for several years now: Don't read anything about the actual story, because I know it's a story-driven game and knowing what's going to happen would completely destroy the experience.

View PostUmarOMC1, on 04 March 2019 - 12:18 AM, said:

Cyberpunk 2077

I still have to play the Witcher games. I know they're really good, but I still have to find the time to play them. Considering the fact the Witcher games are of such high quality their new game also has be good. Everything looks very promising.

#9 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

I've just discovered a game called Atomic Heart. This looks like an amazing game with a very interesting setting. Now there are rumours those trailers are fake and the developers don't even know C++ and so on. This is however a game I'd love to play. Let's just hope it's real, it'll be a success and there'll be a Mac release.

#10 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1548 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:35 AM

Oh, add Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus to my Wishlist
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8458 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

View Postjos, on 07 March 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

Now there are rumours Ö the developers don't even know C++ and so on.
And? There lot of games recently were the developers haven't probably written a single line of C++, especially when they are using a ready-made engine, which usually support higher-level script languages for the game's code.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:47 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 09 March 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

And? There lot of games recently were the developers haven't probably written a single line of C++, especially when they are using a ready-made engine, which usually support higher-level script languages for the game's code.

I'm just repeating what other people are saying. I don't have any experience developing games, but I'd just expect at least some programming skills would be useful.

I've just remembered another game that I'd love to see on the Mac: F.E.A.R. What a fantastic game this was: Beautiful graphics, great gameplay, nice atmosphere and maybe the best A.I. in a game ever. I own the Windows version and a Mac release would be an instant buy for me.

#13 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1548 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:10 PM

Add Hunt: Showdown to my… *sigh* Wish List. I know macOS is doing a lot better game-wise than we were in the '90s (oh man was that a tough era for the macOS gamer!) but we can wish. :P

#14 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4151 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:37 AM

My personal wishlist is as follows: Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Mass Effect 1-3, Red Dead Redemption 1 + 2, Dark Souls 1 + 2, Dead Space 1-3, Lost Planet, Horizon: Zero Dawn + Expansion, Ico, Final Fantasy VII-IX, Assasins Creed All-Of-Them-That-We're-Missing, Beyond Good and Evil HD, and updated Summoner, The Last of Us, Kingdom Hearts 1-3, Shadow of the Collossus, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Uncharted 1-4, God of War (2018), Far Cry series, Fallout 3+, updated Diablo I, Halo series.

And that's about it I think? :P

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 14 March 2019 - 07:10 PM, said:

Add Hunt: Showdown to my… *sigh* Wish List. I know macOS is doing a lot better game-wise than we were in the '90s (oh man was that a tough era for the macOS gamer!) but we can wish. :P

Rong, 90s was the golden era of Mac games. We didn't get a lot but boy they looked a lot nicer than their half res DOS counterparts. When a game was on Mac you could definitively say this is a superior version.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#16 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 15 March 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

Rong, 90s was the golden era of Mac games. We didn't get a lot but boy they looked a lot nicer than their half res DOS counterparts. When a game was on Mac you could definitively say this is a superior version.

Speaking of 'back then', did you ever play Prince of Persia on the Mac? Hard as hell, but pretty as a picture.

#17 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

View Postnick68k, on 15 March 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

Speaking of 'back then', did you ever play Prince of Persia on the Mac? Hard as hell, but pretty as a picture.

PoP was incredible. It was the first side-scroller I ever played. I donít think Iíve ever felt so accomplished beating a twitch-based game since.

One of my childhood memories I can distinctly remember as a kid is finding the sequel in Best Buy (I donít think I was aware it existed) and rolling around on the floor begging my dad to let me get it. Luckily he said yes.

#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4151 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

Prince of Persia. Now there's a game I played, and didn't get far in as a kid. But I played it again and again, as I was completely convinced there was a whole new world hidden just after the spot I could reach.