UmarOMC1

Gaming way too long

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:20 PM

Get ready for AppTrackingTransparency

April 5, 2021

Make sure your apps are ready for iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, and tvOS 14.5. With the upcoming public release, all apps must use the AppTrackingTransparency framework to request the user's permission to track them or to access their device's advertising identifier. Unless you receive permission from the user to enable tracking, the device's advertising identifier value will be all zeros and you may not track them.

When submitting your app for review, any other form of tracking — for example, by name or email address — must be declared in the product page's App Store Privacy Information section and be performed only if permission is granted through AppTrackingTransparency. You'll also need to include a purpose string in the system prompt to explain why you'd like to track the user, per App Store Review Guideline 5.1.2(i). These requirements apply to all apps starting with the public release of iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, and tvOS 14.5.

As a reminder, collecting device and usage data with the intent of deriving a unique representation of a user, or fingerprinting, continues to be a violation of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement.

Learn more about user privacy and data use

Whether only because Apple isn't the data behemoth Facebook is or not (information for Apple's SKAdNetwork is easily encountered when following through on 'more information' links) I laud this move. Competition is good.

Admins, please move if necessary/too off-topic. Thank you.

[edit] this is the exact right forum for your post to be in.  Carry on good sir. - tBC

Edited by the Battle Cat, 13 April 2021 - 12:31 PM.
Clarification

macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4574 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:43 AM

This is good.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17753 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:36 PM

This is move by Apple is Battle Cat approved and, if I may say so, overdue.  The downside is that some apps that were free will probably become available for purchase only to make up for lost revenue, and that's OK with me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:06 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 April 2021 - 12:36 PM, said:

The downside is that some apps that were free will probably become available for purchase only to make up for lost revenue, and that's OK with me.

True. I'd rather pay for an app than having ads and being tracked. I'm okay with ads being shown on websites that I'm visiting using a browser, but I don't want any ads to show up in apps that I install.

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2390 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:27 AM

View Postjos, on 13 April 2021 - 02:06 PM, said:

True. I'd rather pay for an app than having ads and being tracked. I'm okay with ads being shown on websites that I'm visiting using a browser, but I don't want any ads to show up in apps that I install.

They can still show ads, the ads are just "less valuable" because they have to ask you to let them access any unique identifying information about your device. Some developers may decide some applications are not profitable because of this. I won't cry too many tears because there's one or two less "free" endless runners selling hundred dollar banana packs.

Ad executives have gotten fat and lazy off the modern web, Apple is driving them back to the old days of blasting out Ads on TV networks and having to do their own demographic research.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3509 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:59 AM

If you want to just blanket turn off ad tracking and prevent any app from even asking you about it, then just go to Settings > Privacy > Tracking and then disable "allow apps to request to track".
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2390 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:02 AM

They dropped a new video about this privacy enhancement.

Privacy | App Tracking Transparency | Apple

IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17753 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:56 AM

They need this feature on all Macs and iPads too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1953 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:22 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 27 April 2021 - 11:56 AM, said:

They need this feature on all Macs and iPads too.

It's for iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS. The API exists for Mac too, but the press release doesn't mention anything about the Mac App Store so I'm guessing it's not being enforced yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tracking, permission, kudos, ios, awesome