What's going on with IMG?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pergolesi

Pergolesi

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

I often refer to the IMG website to get the latest on Mac games. Last time I viewed the site I found some very annoying features which were so bad I almost want to give up ever coming here. For example I went to the page for Penumbra: Black Plague. Any pass over with the cursor over the page caused annoying popups to appear obscuring the text I was trying to read. I kept trying to close these little boxes and they continued to reappear. Worse than that when I clicked on a link to see screenshots of Penumbra all I got was a page of advertising for a PC graphics program. I clicked on another link that was supposed to be a developers diary and got a loud and annoying animated ad for Microsoft Office. I could never find the screenshots or the diary. I would think that the producers of Penumbra would be very pssd if they knew that the page devoted to their game was so badly messed up causing viewers to lose interest. I am not against having ads on websites, after all the site needs revenue and I appreciate that, but this is just a bit too much. What were you thinking?

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

View PostPergolesi, on January 27th 2008, 08:16 PM, said:

Any pass over with the cursor over the page caused annoying popups to appear obscuring the text I was trying to read.

You can turn those off.  I think the control is at the bottom of the page or something...I'm not sure; I never see any ads.  ;)

--Eric

#3 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:11 PM

The option to close the ads is at the bottom right where it says "Turn Off IntelliTxt Ads".

And as for the annoying MS office ad...Personally I didn't know IMG had ads (:P) but hell, at least it's not "CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED TO WIN 2 FREE IPOD NANOS!!!!" in a flashing/vibrating windows xp themed dialog box.

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:40 AM

adverts are the way of life for most websites, including IMG. InteliiTxt Ads keep the money/plasma screens rolling in while not being massively intrusive until your cursor hits one at which point they bite your face off...
sadly Tuncer isnt quite the media mogul/oil baron that can do away with adverts.... yet ;)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:56 AM

You know, IntelliTxt points out something that really bothers me about internet advertising. It all feels incredibly untrustworthy and shady. For example, I was looking to buy some stepper motors. I wasn't finding any with the specifications I needed from suppliers that I was aware of, so I decided I'd do a search. That was a bad idea. I found tons of sites that were little more than advertising that was "context sensitive" but that didn't do anything but run me in circles. I'd see an ad promising me all the stepper motors in the world, but when I went there all I found were more ads that led to other ad infested wastelands. On top of that, I don't think I would even be willing to buy from the few places I came across due to the ads. They all felt incredibly unprofessional and dangerous to give credit card info to. Advertisers need to get this under control. If they don't stop their shotgun approach to internet advertising they will end up alienating everyone. IntelliTxt just takes it to the next level by making these cheesy ads pop up all over the place. Moving your mouse around feels like walking a minefield. I don't think that's the feeling a company wants a person to have when they see information about their product.

*BOOM* "Hey! Want to buy our stuff?"

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:40 AM

Hold onto your anger cause this thread is moving to the IMG Website Network Feedback sub-forum.  

Pergolesi, although it may sound a bit like IMG is holding your sensibilities hostage, everybody here who said that they don't see the ads are IMG Pro members who have the option of turning off ads but everybody can turn off InteliTxt.

And to those of you disturbed about giving your credit card number to untrustworthy looking sites, Paypal goes a loooong way towards taking the pain out of that.  All you have to worry about after that is actually getting the goods delivered.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

Off topic, but why is the Favicon now missing for the site?
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones

#8 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:56 AM

Not for me it isn't.

By the way, its the little sign at the far left in the url bar right? Good. I just wanted that cleared up.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

You wouldn't know it was gone unless your browser's favicon cache was deleted and the favicon was actually gone.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

Omniweb doesn't really cache favicons so when the favicon is changed or removed from a site omniweb updates to the new state. This site currently doesn't have a favicon.
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones