• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Saad Mahamood

Saad Mahamood

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hello all!

I was wondering if it is possible to install SMAC under OS X? I'm aware of the beta carbon patch that exists for it, but since I don't have classic installed on my G5 I need to know if I can install it from the CD itself.

Cheers,

Saad.

#2 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:41 AM

Saad, I installed SMAC/x on my eMac, which does have classic, under OSX.  It runs fine with the OSX carboon patches (SMAC & SMAX).
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#3 Saad Mahamood

Saad Mahamood

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:23 PM

dojoboy, on March 22nd 2005, 01:41 PM, said:

Saad, I installed SMAC/x on my eMac, which does have classic, under OSX.  It runs fine with the OSX carboon patches (SMAC & SMAX).

View Post

argh! I formatted and re-installed OS X on my G5 and lost classic by doing so! :(

I guess I'll have to find a way of getting classic back on my machine again

Cheers,

Saad.

#4 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:11 PM

Saad Mahamood, on March 22nd 2005, 02:23 PM, said:

Cheers,
Saad.

View Post

Get a small, cheap, firewire drive. Put an OS 9 system on it and you're good to go. You should be able to grab an OS 9 system folder from pretty much any machine and make it work.

#5 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:23 PM

Saad Mahamood, on March 23rd 2005, 06:23 AM, said:

argh! I formatted and re-installed OS X on my G5 and lost classic by doing so! :(

View Post

Your G5 should have come with a CD labelled "Power Mac G5 Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test". That CD contains the Classic Environment install package.

#6 Metropolis Man

Metropolis Man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:08 AM

Speaking of SMAC, does anyone have a clue as to why Aspyr would sell the expansion and discontinue Alpha Centauri? I'm dying to play this game since I love Civ-type games and I've heard this is a classic. The expansion only works if you have the original game installed. I don't get it.

#7 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3461 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:57 PM

Metropolis Man, on March 26th 2005, 11:08 AM, said:

Speaking of SMAC, does anyone have a clue as to why Aspyr would sell the expansion and discontinue Alpha Centauri? I'm dying to play this game since I love Civ-type games and I've heard this is a classic. The expansion only works if you have the original game installed. I don't get it.

View Post

That is odd.  It could be that they no longer manufacture either anymore and SmAC has sold out, but they've still got copies of the expansion.  A few months ago, Aspyr asked if people would be interested in some classic games being re-released for OSX.  I would purchase SMAC/X again for OSX.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#8 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:42 PM

Metropolis Man, on March 26th 2005, 09:08 AM, said:

View Post

I believe it's a contractual thing. We can sell existing stock, but can't reprint games whose contracts for Mac publishing have expired. Just a guess though. I should also point out that we don't really "sell" the games directly anymore - we go through Amazon now.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com