DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3469 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

Yo, Gents, hope everyone has been well.

My niece, who does some heavy media work (pics, graphic design, etc) is having an issue with her 2014 Macbook Pro.

Here's her text to me:

Okay I’m trying to decide if I should restore my MacBook to factory settings. It has 120GB of storage and 8GB ram and lately it’ll drop down really low and say I only have like 50MB of storage left but if I restart it jumps back to like 8 GB. I work off of external hard drives, so I have very little stored on my actual computer. I have no idea why it gets down soooo low. I work in adobe creative cloud and I’m not able to get my work done because I have to restart my computer so often. And now it won’t even get back up to 8GB after restart, more like 2GB. I’m thinking that time machine might be partly to blame because I haven’t backed up since December. There are weird problems with my backup disk, the old backups won’t delete. So then the new backup won’t write to my hard drive (probably because there’s not enough storage on it for a new backup)

Anyway, because I don’t save to my computer I’m not sure I’d want to reboot from a backup anyway because I don’t want all the random files that are potentially taking up space on my computer? I would just need to redownload creative cloud, Spotify and chrome. I’d probably lose my Microsoft office suite unless I could copy it over from one of the old backups.

Her System istaking up 95GB and she's got no idea why.

Anyone here have some insight? Thx.
"There is no end to sorrow." ---Van Gogh

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3266 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:58 PM

> I haven’t backed up since December

Hopefully you will get some good suggestions, but before trying any of them get a good backup. Doesn't matter if its Time Machine, Disk Utility, Finder copy or SuperDuper. Buy or borrow a spare drive and get it done. That will take the stress out of trying the suggestions (or restoring to factory settings.)

The old Time Machine can be unplugged, keep it around just in case, and 6 months from now she can wipe it and start over (assuming the disk isn't itself damaged.)

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2390 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:27 PM

Run OmniDiskSweeper, see what it comes up with

https://www.omnigroup.com/more

You can do About This Mac > Storage and select Manage which will pull up some more detailed information but OmniDiskSweeper will root out ALL files (like weirdo snapshots) if you give it the appropriate full disk permissions.

Time machine local snapshots can run amok.
https://support.appl.../en-us/HT204015

It gets even more tricky with APFS and APFS snapshots (which are not the same as time machine local snapshots but good news you can get double the trouble)

120GB boot drive, just find some popsnizzleee drive to copy backup the drive and restore the machine. You'll want to do Internet Recovery so you can fully wipe the disk instead of the normal archive-and-restore.

Attached Files

IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
ChonkOpad (iPad Pro 8,9): A12Z @ 2.49ghz || 6GB RAM || 256GB

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

Macdude gave the perfect advice.

If she is okay with spending a little bit of money it's pretty easy to upgrade the drive to a 240 or 480 GB for not that much money. Will prevent that problem from happening again in the future.

Prices start at around $110 for the 240GB SSD upgrade. $150ish for the 480GB: https://eshop.macsal.../2013-2014-2015
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2390 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 09:20 AM

I don't know about solving it completely. I had APFS snapshots go super sideways (granted this was with CCC) and fill the free TB on my 2TB drive.

We have a lot of 128GB airs around at work still and I see the local time machine snapshots fill up a good chunk of the drive somewhat regularly for folks.
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:54 PM

True. Could definitely still happen.

A 240GB doesn't simply double your storage space. It is more like triple since the OS and base programs will eat up a significant portion of that 120GB drive, leaving only around 60GB usable (obviously varies depending on the setup). So if her OS + Office + Adobe Apps eats up 60 GB of space that only leaves 60GB free for everything else. A 240 GB drive would have 180GB for everything else.

iPhones were the worst for this back when they shipped 16GB models. A 16GB iPhone was actually only like 11GB usable - so upgrading to a 32GB iphone would give you 27GB of usable space vs the 11GB on the 16GB.
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda

#7 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:08 PM

It is also relatively easy to simply use an NVMe SSD and replace the drive.  

I looked into this when i was upgrading my 2012 MBP.  I ended up with a 2014, and at first i wasn't sure i was going to be able to find one with enough storage space (i dont keep a TON of files on my cmoputer, but my eBooks and iTunes library are local for ease of use, so i need a ~400+ GB drive if i want to have space left over.  

At first all the used ones i saw were wth like 128GB and i looked into how har dit would be to replace the drive.  

Apple uses a special connector, but there are adapters out there that work flawlessly for like 15$.  You just plug the NVMe M.2 drive into it and then plug the whole mess into Apple's custom slot.  As long as you've updated the firmware to the most recent one, itll work no problems.

I ended up not having to do that - i found a guy selling an i7 2014 MBP with 500GB SSD and 16GB of RAM for ~300 because the screen had a bad spot.  Since i only use it docked anyway, it was a steal (i talked him down to 250), and the 500GB drive leaves me ~140GB left over after my eBooks and iTunes files, and since i dont really store any other large files locally, thats plenty.

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2390 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 08:38 AM

Holy frak you people are so out of touch. Person just wants to solve $oddlowstorage and y'all delve off into well just get some adapters from dxextreme and start frakin around. :bleedingeyes: PEOPLE BUY APPLE BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO frak AROUND.

#9 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3469 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 17 April 2020 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm following up with my niece this afternoon and will report back. I gave her the link for this thread.

View Postmacdude22, on 17 April 2020 - 08:38 AM, said:

Holy frak you people are so out of touch. Person just wants to solve $oddlowstorage and y'all delve off into well just get some adapters from dxextreme and start frakin around. :bleedingeyes: PEOPLE BUY APPLE BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO frak AROUND.

:lol:
"There is no end to sorrow." ---Van Gogh

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 09:04 AM

What do you mean "you people" !!?! ;)