8 replies to this topic

#1 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:56 AM

So this kind of stunning news broke this morning.

https://www.totalwar...ic-games-store/

And the official FAQ:

https://www.totalwar.../troy/troy-faq/

Not surprisingly there’s no mention of the Mac version, which Feral had previously announced. So what does this mean for the Mac version? Has any Feral port appeared on the Epic Store yet? If not will Troy be the first? Or will we have to look elsewhere (The Mac App Store) to get it until it finally appears on Steam a year later?

I can live with not getting the freebie opportunity, once again with Epic, but the crossplay and modding issues might be enough for me to wait until the Epic exclusivity expires so I can get it on Steam a year later, assuming the Mac version is still a thing? Having the built-in mod manager in recent Mac Total War releases has had substantial impact on my enjoyment of the games because of how easy it makes the process of adding mods.
27" iMac I7 (late 2017), 3.8 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, Mac OS 10.15.4,
iPad Pro (2018) 12.9” 256GB WiFi, & iPhone XR 128GB

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8576 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:28 AM

As I just wrote in the All Things Feral Thread, I guess Feral got screwed: the EGS has apparently no revenue sharing system for third-party ports (which is why there are no Feral/Aspyr ports available there) and does not support Linux at all. It's possible that they are allowed to release the Mac version on the MAS, but I doubt it.

So I guess, they will have to delay the release of the Mac and Linux ports for a whole year, until the game becomes available on Steam, meaning a lot of lost sales.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:44 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 03 June 2020 - 08:28 AM, said:

As I just wrote in the All Things Feral Thread, I guess Feral got screwed: the EGS has apparently no revenue sharing system for third-party ports (which is why there are no Feral/Aspyr ports available there) and does not support Linux at all. It's possible that they are allowed to release the Mac version on the MAS, but I doubt it.

So I guess, they will have to delay the release of the Mac and Linux ports for a whole year, until the game becomes available on Steam, meaning a lot of lost sales.

Big time bummer. Seems like TW games, particularly the Warhammer and Three Kingdoms games, are among the best-selling games on Steam. Apparently that wasn’t enough for the bean counters to ignore the allure of The Epic/Fortnight money train.

I still want to hear whatever the official word on the Mac version is from Feral. I'm sure we will shortly but it’s hard to imagine this as anything but bad news for them and the Mac (and Linux) gamers out there.
27" iMac I7 (late 2017), 3.8 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, Mac OS 10.15.4,
iPad Pro (2018) 12.9” 256GB WiFi, & iPhone XR 128GB

#4 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:44 AM

Borderlands 3 for Mac didn't make it to Steam after the exclusivity ended so who knows, maybe this one will get the same treatment too.

#5 strangemax

strangemax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:42 AM

Sounds like a sweet deal for the total war folks. I'll pick up the free version so they get paid for that, but I'll also pick up the steam Mac port when it's available to support Feral. I do wish they had gone more fantasy on this title. I think it would be cool to have god-like and mythical characters. Total Wahammer is by far my favorite of the Total War games and apparently is for a lot of other people since they keep putting out expansions.

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2988 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:51 PM

View Poststrangemax, on 04 June 2020 - 08:42 AM, said:

Total Wahammer is by far my favorite of the Total War games and apparently is for a lot of other people since they keep putting out expansions.

I really want to play TW:Warhammer 2 some more, its been sitting in my library for quite some time. But it's just so freaking huge. I'd have to play for weeks to get any good at the early game, then I'd discover that other teams are way ahead and I'd have to start over and learn how to level up twice as fast.

I had a similar problem with HOMM3. But at least HOMM3 was organized into a campaign of smaller maps. TW:W2 just gives you this enormous world and a huge quest with lots of pieces that I have no hope of ever achieving..

Maybe I should just run some individual battles, stay away from the campaign?
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#7 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:18 AM

I agree that it can take a little while to get good at the campaign if you haven't played a TW game before. But once you've played one, I don't think the Warhammer 2 campaigns are too hard to get used to (although some factions are a little bit harder). I might do 30 minutes of googling on the factions to figure out which suit your battle style (I.e. the Dino's were quite fun if you like to get offensive and rush opponents, but were really hard for me to get used to since they had no good archers and I like to sit in a bit more defensive posture and let the opponent come to me, whereas the high elves were amazing for this play style). Once you pick a faction, another 30 minutes of googling on campaign tips for playing that faction would be helpful. From there I think even if you fall behind you can catch up fairly easy - just focus on the area around you for the first while and don't worry about what everyone else is doing...

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2988 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:02 PM

From there I think even if you fall behind you can catch up fairly easy
Just hearing this makes me feel better. Thanks!

Dino's were quite fun if you like to get offensive and rush opponents, but were really hard for me to get used to since they had no good archers and I like to sit in a bit more defensive posture and let the opponent come to me, whereas the high elves were amazing for this play style
Elves it is, then. I can learn to rush but it goes against my instincts.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#9 strangemax

strangemax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:03 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 05 June 2020 - 02:02 PM, said:

Elves it is, then. I can learn to rush but it goes against my instincts.

I think I only finished the Elven and Dino campaigns early on, then played the expansions. I find myself going back to the old factions and playing those over again with the new mechanics and units. I liked them much better. I've probably conquered the world for the dwarves three or four times.