#21 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1474 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostTacohead, on 07 April 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Well I got The Witcher. First it launched to a black screen. Pressing Command-Q got me out of that. Second launch worked fine and I watched the entire intro but at the main menu screen there's no mouse cursor. I can see the various menu options light up and click on them when that happens but since I can't see where the mouse cursor is I'm forced to move the mouse around until I see a menu option light up to locate it. I managed to start a new game and in-game the same problem persists. I then updated the WINE engine to 1.5 and the invisible mouse cursor still persists. Any suggestions?

Edit: Fixed it by running the game in a virtual desktop (via the Wineskin config app). Runs reasonably well for me so far during the tutorial using the Wineskin 1.5 engine.

-PN
Tried this (default install, updating to wine 1.5, and the virtual desktop) and each of the 3 instances produced black screens on launch. Every now and then (maybe 1 in 3 launch attempts) has the game be normal and non-black. SUPER annoying and makes it very hard to play. Done a lot of looking around with little help, but its a known bug at winehq for the unofficial port. http://bugs.winehq.o...ug.cgi?id=15904 so that's clearly something CD Projekt didn't fix.

Also ran into a crash point about 5 minutes into the game with the default install. Haven't tried getting past it on the 1.5 update yet.

*edit* got me past the crash point, but consistently running into black screens all over the place. Usually makes me quit the game, thus losing all unsaved progress. Ugh.

So far pretty disappointed. Runs significantly better on PC :P At least I got this off SteamPlay! I won't mind if I can sort things out with some support. There's a few threads on Steam for Witcher Mac, but most of them have been invaded and spammed by mac hating trolls which makes most of it useless.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

27" iMac, Core i7 Quad 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

#22 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

View PostTacohead, on 07 April 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Edit: Fixed it by running the game in a virtual desktop (via the Wineskin config app). Runs reasonably well for me so far during the tutorial using the Wineskin 1.5 engine.
If you set the Screen Options to Override->Fullscreen and pick the res you have the game at, it should work as well.  Override->Fullscreen actually uses a Wine virtual desktop just faked out to be full screen.

Everyone also remember its Wineskin, so you can multitask from fullscreen with the Cmd+Opt+A combo.

#23 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

Well, I spent the money on the game, and now it won't let me play it because it can't connect to the key server. Guess they ran out of keys. :P
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#24 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

View Postdoh123, on 08 April 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

If you set the Screen Options to Override->Fullscreen and pick the res you have the game at, it should work as well.  Override->Fullscreen actually uses a Wine virtual desktop just faked out to be full screen.

Everyone also remember its Wineskin, so you can multitask from fullscreen with the Cmd+Opt+A combo.

There's still no mouse cursor for me that way so I went back to the "virtual desktop" mode. This is actually my preferred method anyways because it allows me to concurrently use the onscreen keyboard I need access to while playing. Thanks for the tip anyways. Posted Image

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.13.2
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#25 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Another thing I discovered about this game is there's no way to right-click with a one button mouse. I'm forced to use a one button mouse for reasons beyond my control and developers almost always put a keyboard equivalent in their games (like command–click for example) for this but not in this case. Fortunately I was able to use the Wineskin configurator to correct this issue. So this appears to be yet another example of the unfortunately shoddy rush job of a port this is. Just because Wineskin is used, or something similar, doesn't mean a port has to be so poor. Some stellar ports using Wineskin on the Porting Team's website prove otherwise. And say what you want about Transgaming but their ports have gotten better and better over the years. This just reeks of porting the absolute cheapest way possible. I can't wait to see what they say if Wumpus gets to interview them about this.

Even with all that said the game is actually running pretty well for me and without crashes thus far although I think I need to get much further into it to make a proper assessment.

As for the game itself I really like it. I can't say I prefer the combat over something like Dragon Age but it does seem to get better and better as the game progresses. But I like the story, the visuals, and love the interface. Neverwinter Nights 2 could learn a thing or two from The Witcher's camera control method.

So I'm definitely glad I got it at least as long as I don't run into any show–stopping issues like some others seem to have. Even then the game was only $10 although I know that's no excuse. But if I don't run into any such problems I got one hell of a game for only $10.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.13.2

#26 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Calling something a shoddy rush job over having to use a one-button mouse? :bleedingeyes:
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#27 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

UmarOMC1 said:

1333924663[/url]' post='409454']
Calling something a shoddy rush job over having to use a one-button mouse? :bleedingeyes:

Well I was talking about all the other issues I've seen reported in addition to this. Even if the game is working well for me that still doesn't change the fact that there's numerous issues being reported about this game around the web. And there's still a lot of Macs with one button mice out there so it's a pretty big oversight to me when they don't put in any way for people with one-button mice to perform a right click.

I still like this game a lot but it's clearly not one of the better ports we've seen in recent years.

-PN

#28 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostTacohead, on 08 April 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Another thing I discovered about this game is there's no way to right-click with a one button mouse.
Actually you can put Wineskin.app in there... go to advanced and to the options tab and and try the "emulate 3 button mouse" option
This doesn't always work right (might interfere with the Opt/Alt option at times too) but CMD+Click *should* do a right click and Alt+Click should do a middle click.

When its a 10.6+ supported game... pretty much every Mac ever sold that can run 10.6 can set up a right click... so its not that big of a deal really.

#29 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

doh123 said:

1333936425[/url]' post='409459']
Actually you can put Wineskin.app in there... go to advanced and to the options tab and and try the "emulate 3 button mouse" option
This doesn't always work right (might interfere with the Opt/Alt option at times too) but CMD+Click *should* do a right click and Alt+Click should do a middle click.

When its a 10.6+ supported game... pretty much every Mac ever sold that can run 10.6 can set up a right click... so its not that big of a deal really.

Well it is for me. I managed to fix it anyways but thanks.

-PN

#30 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

Tried to load up the game, hadn't played in awhile but news arose of an update here on IMG and—BOOM! Black screen! I could do NOTHING to get out of it... I had to do what I hate to do, force shut down. I've even gone so far as to delete local game content and redownload/install it. Checking the integrity of the game's cache, after a prolonged stall at 16% complete, yielded 7 corrupt files that would be redownloaded and replaced. I'm running the validation again but posting this because if I have to force shut down again I'll have to come back and update this post later.

Man, what a PoS. I wish they at least went with Cider at this point.
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#31 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 25 September 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

Tried to load up the game, hadn't played in awhile but news arose of an update here on IMG and—BOOM! Black screen! I could do NOTHING to get out of it... I had to do what I hate to do, force shut down. I've even gone so far as to delete local game content and redownload/install it. Checking the integrity of the game's cache, after a prolonged stall at 16% complete, yielded 7 corrupt files that would be redownloaded and replaced. I'm running the validation again but posting this because if I have to force shut down again I'll have to come back and update this post later.

Sounds like the 10.8.2 (and 10.7.5) xquartz bug. To work around it right (or control) click on the Witcher app and choose show package contents then double click on wineskin and then advanced - tools - update wrapper 2.5.8 fixes this.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#32 Djevlen

Djevlen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

This port is an absolute disgrace, rubbish performance on my mid 2011 27-inch mac.
Mid-2011 27' iMac:  i5 3.1Ghz 16gb ram 6970m 1gb 1tb HDD
2010 17' MBP i7 2.66Ghz 8gb ram GT330m512 320gb HDD
iPhone 5 Black 64gb
iPad 4 Black 64gb Wifi

#33 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 25 September 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

its really nothing to do with it being Wineskin... its the fact its not a magic tool (neither is Cider) that makes everything instantly work.  They did a bad job on it on their end, when they could have done it much better, but they saw Wineskin as a cheap rush job, so they did a cheap rush job instead of taking the extra time to get it right.

I had the 2.5.8 update out to fix problems for 10.8.2 and 10.7.5 before they released their latest update... yet somehow it looks like they are still using very old versions.

#34 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

View Postmattw, on 25 September 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Sounds like the 10.8.2 (and 10.7.5) xquartz bug. To work around it right (or control) click on the Witcher app and choose show package contents then double click on wineskin and then advanced - tools - update wrapper 2.5.8 fixes this.
You mean there's a wineskin.app in the Witcher app package? Hmmm...

#35 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8478 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

View Postdoh123, on 25 September 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

its really nothing to do with it being Wineskin... its the fact its not a magic tool (neither is Cider) that makes everything instantly work.  They did a bad job on it on their end, when they could have done it much better, but they saw Wineskin as a cheap rush job, so they did a cheap rush job instead of taking the extra time to get it right.

I just hope they took a lesson from this: CD Projekt RED/GOG.com will probably announce on October 18 that they will finally offer support for the Mac:

Speaking of new operating systems, GOG.com will also be announcing that it is bringing the best PC games from throughout history to a new operating system.

If the assumption is correct and they are talking about OS X, this does smell like DOSbox/WineSkin wrappers. The former ones are pretty easy, the latter on the other hand...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#36 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 26 September 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

I just hope they took a lesson from this: CD Projekt RED/GOG.com will probably announce on October 18 that they will finally offer support for the Mac:

If the assumption is correct and they are talking about OS X, this does smell like DOSbox/WineSkin wrappers. The former ones are pretty easy, the latter on the other hand...
If GOG is going to support the Mac I may cry with joy. I just discovered them thanks to BootCamping, and promptly abandoned the idea of using Steam for classic games after a couple trial purchases. Zero DRM? Install when you want, where you want, how you want, as many times as you want? They even make sure everything works out of the box (figuratively) with Windows 7 as a cherry on top.

As a result I've already bought Crusader: No Remorse, Crusader: No Regret, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Unreal Gold, Unreal Tournament GOTY, Total Annihilation, Star Control 1, 2, and 3, and I've got about 15 more games on the wishlist to pick up later.

This on Mac = YES PLEASE.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#37 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

View Postmattw, on 25 September 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I still don't get it, I don't see what I'm supposed to double click... there's no wineskin file in the package's main directory... there's wineskin-related files throughout, but there appears to be nothing directly useful.

#38 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

In order to fix that you have to install the wineskin winery and some WINE engines (I suggest 1.5.13AMDSPeedHack) and then create a new wrapper using the WINEskin winery... then open up the resulting wineskin wrapper you make and there will be a wineskin.app file and copy that over into the same location in your Witcher wrapper. Then you can use it to upgrade wineskin and its engine if you wish.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#39 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

Apologies I had forgot that I must have copied the Wineskin app into the bundle. Thanks Smoke Tesu for filling in the missing steps.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#40 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 27 September 2012 - 04:25 AM, said:

Then you can use it to upgrade wineskin and its engine if you wish.
I'll try to Google a walkthrough, thanks!