Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 13 January 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

In my car I sometimes need to charge the phone and have it plugged in to the sound system at the same time. Dongle doesn't solve that problem. Very happy with my iPhone SE, not looking forward to getting one without a jack one day. I'll deal with it one way or another, but I can understand the outcry.

Maybe by then a wireless charging solution for cars will be available that is convenient to use.

I like my iPhone SE a lot too. The price and form factor work for me. I donít think Iíll miss the jack by the time I upgrade really. For the times I do like to listen to music out walking around, wireless would be plus.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#22 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1004 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 13 January 2018 - 02:13 AM, said:

Sure, you bought a pair of 1000$ headphones, then use the adapter and it will work as before. You have a collections of headphones? Well, stay in the past dude. You think the sound is better? Stick to LPs.

The problem is that the adapter doesn't make it work anywhere as well as before. You need a decent DAC chip or the sound is significantly degraded, particularly with high-end headphones, and the cheap adapters on the market now convert your $1000 headphones into Beats-sounding junk.
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/High Sierra/Windows 10
Home: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/High Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#23 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6173 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

I was willing to give the jack up in favor of waterproofing. Realistically, if you have high end headphones (like I do), you're not going to be listening to music directly from your phone on them, you're going to have something else to hook up to (a Pioneer receiver in my living room or Sound Blaster X7 at my computer in my case). The iPhone drives high quality headphones pretty poorly.

When I do listen to stuff on my phone, it's usually with earbuds and I just made the lightning-to-3.5mm adapter a more or less permanent addition to the earbuds. Times when I listen and charge at the same time are almost non-existent so it didn't get on my nerves at all.

I don't mind sacrificing one thing in favor of something else. It's the sacrificing essential functionality in favor of an extra half millimeter of thinness because some asshat in design said so that sticks in my craw.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#24 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2193 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:13 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 13 January 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

In my car I sometimes need to charge the phone and have it plugged in to the sound system at the same time. Dongle doesn't solve that problem. Very happy with my iPhone SE, not looking forward to getting one without a jack one day. I'll deal with it one way or another, but I can understand the outcry.

a 10$ bluetooth dongle will solve your issue entirely.  its seriously that easy.  

I cant remember the last time i plugged in a pair of headphones to a mobile device, or used an audio cable in my car.  Ive had bluetooth headsets for my listening, and a bluetooth dongle in the car, pretty much since they were available.

#25 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

After the comment I wrote above about wireless charging in cars I saw a car advertisement during the Patriots game (Go Pats!) that mentioned having one as a built in feature. I forget what car it was but I guess I should have figured that would already be a thing.

So this problem is easily solved after all. Ignore these guys with their cheap half baked dongles and blue teeth baloney and just buy a new car that solves the problem and does it right! You are an Apple user. You know how this works. You get what you pay for.

#26 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Haha, it was the Honda Accord I think. Saw the same thing. I’m sure they will charge $1000 for that option when you buy the car

#27 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

Caution though, wireless charging often charges too slowly for convenient use in a car if you use the smartphone as a GPS (always on display + GPS eats through the battery in no time). Nothing beats a cigarette lighter quick charge adapter for this usage. There are now some fast wireless chargers which are more adequate, YMMV though.

#28 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 14 January 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

Caution though, wireless charging often charges too slowly for convenient use in a car if you use the smartphone as a GPS (always on display + GPS eats through the battery in no time). Nothing beats a cigarette lighter quick charge adapter for this usage. There are now some fast wireless chargers which are more adequate, YMMV though.

Not a problem really as one simply needs to buy an appropriately priced automobile that would feature quality wireless charging.

#29 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

View PostCougar, on 11 January 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

Reliable keyboards on MacBook Pros.

Yes, this. Presumably Apple are working on this. Right guys? Guys?

In the meantime, I hope my 2012 13" MBP soldiers on.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#30 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2193 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

Ability to upgrade my hardware.  At all.  

a Non-iMac, non-Pro machine that isn't totally worthless.  

Those things i miss.

#31 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

View Postnick68k, on 22 January 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Yes, this. Presumably Apple are working on this. Right guys? Guys?

In the meantime, I hope my 2012 13" MBP soldiers on.

FWIW the 2nd gen tBP keyboards feel slightly nicer (but still terrible) and we've only had 1 I've had to submit for warranty work vs. 23 first gen tBPs (almost always the space bar dilling up)
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#32 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:48 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 27 January 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

FWIW the 2nd gen tBP keyboards feel slightly nicer (but still terrible) and we've only had 1 I've had to submit for warranty work vs. 23 first gen tBPs (almost always the space bar dilling up)

I had a tap around on the 2nd gen KB recently and I didn't hate it, but I am concerned about it failing. Mildly encouraging to hear your experiences with them. Any observations re: huge-ass trackpad palm rejection?
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#33 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

View Postnick68k, on 28 January 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

I had a tap around on the 2nd gen KB recently and I didn't hate it, but I am concerned about it failing. Mildly encouraging to hear your experiences with them. Any observations re: huge-ass trackpad palm rejection?

I don't use my tester 1st gen tBP very much but have not had any issues and have heard no complaints from any of the natives. I think Apple must have fat palm rejection licked.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#34 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:36 AM

View Postnick68k, on 28 January 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

Any observations re: huge-ass trackpad palm rejection?
I can corroborate what macdude said. That's not to say that the trackpad's humungous size doesn't make possible to accidentally move the mouse while doing anything else than typing.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#35 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3356 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

Upgradable RAM/HDD is 100% the thing that I miss the most. It was so nice being able to give new life to 3-4 year old MBP's with a simple purchase of some RAM and an SSD. Now almost every machine isn't upgradable at all, and the ones that are are a huge pain (iMac).
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X