Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

Quicksilver, on November 2nd 2005, 04:39 PM, said:

Same here . . . and it's frustrating to hear them whine about how it's Apple's fault, not theirs.
On good, reasonable hardware I don't see many problems. But my computer is 450Mhz, and started at 8.6, and has never had a clean reinstall. So I'm prone to some problems.

For example, in 10.4.3 I get frequent Dock Crashes. About once every 6 to 12 hours. I never had this before.

Also, I don't see anyone blaming apple, they are just saying that they are having problems. That can't be changed. No matter who the fault is in.
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#22 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:08 AM

the Battle Cat, on November 3rd 2005, 02:08 AM, said:

I saw no mention of video card driver updates.  Did I miss that mention or are there no updates?

View Post

Hmm, you're right, the only mention of OpenGL in the release notes is in relation to Shockwave content. But I know for a fact that at least one OpenGL extension was added by the update (GL_ARB_shading_language_100). My OpenGL version is 1.5 ATI-1.4.16, and my ATIRadeon9700  kext version is 4.1.6 -- can someone who's still using 10.4.2 and a recent ATI card post theirs for comparison?

#23 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:02 AM

Pixel and Frame Buffer Objects were also released with 10.4.3.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#24 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:34 AM

Tesseract, on November 3rd 2005, 06:08 AM, said:

Hmm, you're right, the only mention of OpenGL in the release notes is in relation to Shockwave content. But I know for a fact that at least one OpenGL extension was added by the update (GL_ARB_shading_language_100). My OpenGL version is 1.5 ATI-1.4.16, and my ATIRadeon9700  kext version is 4.1.6 -- can someone who's still using 10.4.2 and a recent ATI card post theirs for comparison?

View Post

Small correction:  the new ATIRadeon9700 extension is version 1.4.16.  The old Mac OS X 10.4.2 version was 1.4.6.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#25 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:25 AM

Well, to speak for myself, I was never whining.  I was just being cautious.  I don't have a whole lot of junk, but PithHelmet is something I don't like to browse the web without.  The update broke that, and yes you could say it's the developer's fault for not being on the ball, but for a college student (he goes to my Alma Mater) who doesn't require, but simply asks for some funding for his good work, I'm not going to fault him for not being ready before patches come out.

:)

The whole reason I started the thread is that I'm not an early-adopter on things like this anymore.  I used to be, but now I really just want to have a seamless transition when it occurs, and the best way to ensure that is to let others stumble and wait for things to be corrected.

#26 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

Quicksilver, on November 3rd 2005, 06:34 PM, said:

Small correction:  the new ATIRadeon9700 extension is version 1.4.16.  The old Mac OS X 10.4.2 version was 1.4.6.

View Post

It's kind of confusing, but the kext version as listed by the kextstat command is 4.1.6. The full listing in the Extensions view of System Profiler is:

Version: 1.4.16
  Last Modified: 2005-03-31 14:37
  Get Info String: ATIRadeon9700 1.4.16.3 (3273)
  kext Version: 4.1.6
  Load Address: 0x901000
  Valid: Yes
  Authentic: Yes
  Dependencies: Satisfied
  Integrity: Correct

#27 Algol

Algol

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:33 AM

I have noticed a significant enough performance improvement on my Dual 2Ghz G5 that the placebo effect can't account for all of it. I played Doom 3 just a while ago and I swear it was much faster. Not sure what is going on. Apps open much faster too... Word open without even showing the stupid dialog box it used to show for 2 seconds or so.

Who knows...

#28 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:41 AM

Algol, on November 4th 2005, 01:33 PM, said:

I have noticed a significant enough performance improvement on my Dual 2Ghz G5 that the placebo effect can't account for all of it. I played Doom 3 just a while ago and I swear it was much faster. Not sure what is going on. Apps open much faster too... Word open without even showing the stupid dialog box it used to show for 2 seconds or so.

Who knows...

View Post

That's the miracle of updating your prebindings, my friend.   :P
InsideMacGames.com

#29 Algol

Algol

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

Quicksilver, on November 4th 2005, 11:41 AM, said:

That's the miracle of updating your prebindings, my friend.   :P

View Post

It was never this fast before. SO it's not just a matter of updating the pre-bindings. Other things are going on.

#30 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:38 PM

Lucian, on November 2nd 2005, 12:23 PM, said:

To those people who have problem with Mac OS X updates (not just this one), I wonder what kind of junk you have installed in your system. I have had literally zero problems with Mac OS X updates, dating all the way back to 10.0.

View Post

*cough 10.3.8 *cough* Back in the day, one minute something would be supported, the next drivers would be broken for my Audiophile or some new way to crash OS X like the faulty logout bug or introduced or annoying issues like G5 going into constant leaf blower mode. I remember there was one update that'd clean wipe the /users folder in some instances. Yikes. I've been lucky that I've had good luck with this sort of thing but your experience I'd say is far from norm if you truly used OS X full time prior to 10.2. 10.1 crashed almost as much as OS 9.

Quicksilver, on November 2nd 2005, 03:39 PM, said:

Same here . . . and it's frustrating to hear them whine about how it's Apple's fault, not theirs.

View Post

Honestly what the hell good is my computer if I can't use it for the tasks I need to? Even when fresh installed 10.4 has been buggy yet ironically 10.3.9 was rock solid. It surely must be my fault some how that I experience unexpected behavior when things were working fine prior to updating :P

I'd go back to 10.3.9 in all honestly with my absolute hatred for Spotlight and occasional unwarranted behavior but device aggregation is so unbelievably useful (unlike Spotlight/Dashboard) as well is OS level support for RAW that its a mixed bag. I'm not doing anything differently between the OS versions but yet I still experience problems. Tiger by far has been the least impressive OS X update as its slower, glitchier and introduced a blasphemous search engine that lacks the fine tuning of its predecessor Its a gimmick upgrade.. Live searches are retarded when you have five HDs and without a way to disable searching "Within" documents any result returns hundreds of dummy HTML files, docs, RTFs, PDFs and even MP3s with the ID3 tag results. Its a good idea but horridly executed for power users who have oodles of project files. I'm waiting an update that brings back some lost performance, enables Core Image, gives me control of spot light and gets rid of the beachballing.
the IMG audio guy...

#31 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:31 PM

Algol, on November 5th 2005, 02:19 AM, said:

It was never this fast before. SO it's not just a matter of updating the pre-bindings. Other things are going on.

View Post

Wait until the 10.4.4 update--you'll be saying the same thing again when you realize that it's just the prebindings.
InsideMacGames.com

#32 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:54 AM

Quicksilver, on November 5th 2005, 03:31 PM, said:

Wait until the 10.4.4 update--you'll be saying the same thing again when you realize that it's just the prebindings.

View Post

Not everything can be attributed to prebindings, you know. In fact, only one thing can be, and that is application launch time. Updating your prebindings does not give you more FPS in Doom 3.

Prebindings do not magically become stale by the mere passing of time. An app's prebindings only become stale when a new version of a library which that app links to is installed. If an app has stale prebindings, they are automatically updated when you launch it. It has worked like that since Jaguar. The worst thing stale prebindings can do is make an app take a bit longer to launch the first time you run it. After that the prebindings will be correct and subsequent launches will be quicker.

#33 MacManX

MacManX

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 03:21 AM

the Battle Cat, on November 2nd 2005, 09:46 AM, said:

Safari still can't validate by file upload at W3C.

View Post

I've never had a problem :huh:

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:43 AM

Really?  It stopped working for me a couple weeks ago after some Apple update, forget which.  I have a very untampered with system.  Just vanilla Tiger installed before I bought the computer, no third party shenanigans that I'm aware of, and no system tweaks.   I guess I'll do the Combo 10.4.3 update and see if that helps.

[Edit - Combo update didn't resolve the problem.]
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:43 AM

a2daj, on November 3rd 2005, 03:02 AM, said:

Pixel and Frame Buffer Objects were also released with 10.4.3.
Just as a side note, Pbuffers were tried with Stubbs but didn't really improve performance:

Glenda: Everything will be supported on Stubbs Mac out of the box, but we have had to work around a few potholes like Render Targets. Since we've been working on it for quite awhile, we were able to architect around some of the usual issues, and even try some alternate approaches to come up with the best solution for PC & Mac. For instance, we did some research into pbuffers, hoping they'd gain us some extra frame rate, but in the end it turned out they didn't really help performance.
http://www.wideloadg...05/glenda1.html

#36 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

pBuffers and Pixel Buffer Objects are not the same thing.

#37 Stecchino

Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

1337, on October 31st 2005, 09:21 PM, said:

I'm a bit wary to install the update,

View Post

No problems with Call or Duty, Call of Duty: UO or anything else from my experience.

#38 osprey54

osprey54

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:06 AM

I have A LOT of crap on my computer, and a lot of self made modifications. Right after the 10.4.3 update, both my G4 tower and ibook had unresponsive UIs. I restarted in safe mode, held shift on login, and made sure ALL my 3rd party softwares were up to date. It worked for the most part, though quicksilver is noticeably slower. I cant get some of the Speed Tools utilities to work at all and the updater is not working (will have to email tech). TTpro is sometimes unresponsive, filebuddy crashes often, a lot of my dock modifications and other UI enhancements (not shapeshifter) have to be redone, disk warrior MUST be updated to work, and then there were a few minor things with the update that I generally didn't appreciate. Overall, it isn't that bad. I had worse with 10.3.8.

The one BIG thing is that on my ibook, classic doesn't work anymore. Anyone have ant solutions for this?

#39 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:24 AM

Greg Gant, on November 4th 2005, 10:38 PM, said:

*cough 10.3.8 *cough* Back in the day, one minute something would be supported, the next drivers would be broken for my Audiophile or some new way to crash OS X like the faulty logout bug or introduced or annoying issues like G5 going into constant leaf blower mode. I remember there was one update that'd clean wipe the /users folder in some instances. Yikes. I've been lucky that I've had good luck with this sort of thing but your experience I'd say is far from norm if you truly used OS X full time prior to 10.2. 10.1 crashed almost as much as OS 9.
Honestly what the hell good is my computer if I can't use it for the tasks I need to? Even when fresh installed 10.4 has been buggy yet ironically 10.3.9 was rock solid. It surely must be my fault some how that I experience unexpected behavior when things were working fine prior to updating :P

View Post

10.1 worked fine for me. I rarely had problems with it crashing. That was when I switched over from 9. 10.0 came with my computer, but wasn't as pleasant of an experience.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#40 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:48 PM

1337, on November 1st 2005, 02:21 AM, said:

I'm a bit wary to install the update, given its size / scope.  I hear it breaks Pith Helmet, which is a dealbreaker for me so I wont install until they release an update to Pith Helmet to make it compatible with the new Safari.
Actually, it seems PithHelmet 2.6.2 is compatible with Safari in 10.4.3... I updated the OS to discover PithHelmet didn't work, but just recently i discovered in another forum that uninstalling and reinstalling 2.6.2 for some reason got it to work as normal.