7 replies to this topic

#1 Gamecuber

Gamecuber

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:27 AM

Has anyone tried Freespace open (or the Wing Commander mod or any other mod for that matter) on a Macbook C2D with 2Gb of RAM?
As the minimum sys reqs are quite modest, I would expect the game to run smoothly, even with the GMA950.
Thanks !

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:04 AM

Are you aware of the fact that there's a gigantic difference between FS2 and FS2_Open's system requirements?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#3 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:35 AM

Could you be any more condescending and less helpful?  Could you at least provide a link to the FS2_Open sys reqs?
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

I'm pretty sure that was just a question, rather than an attempt at condescension.  Considering that there has been confusion in that area before...the Freespace 2 topic has more info.  Lots more....

--Eric

#5 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

View Posta2daj, on February 23rd 2007, 09:35 AM, said:

Could you be any more condescending and less helpful?  Could you at least provide a link to the FS2_Open sys reqs?

That wasn't condescending at all.  Gamecuber wasn't clear on which game he was referring to (Freespace, Freespace 2, or either of the "open" varieties), so I just asked him if he knew that there was a huge difference in system requirements.  I was awaiting a response before going into further detail.

Anyway, Freespace 2's requirements on the PC side are easily within the range of the Macbook and its pitiful GMA950:

200 MHz Pentium
32 MB RAM
Generic DirectX 6.0 3D Accelerator

FS2_Open, on the other hand, is hard to nail down because there are a lot of different options as to how much detail will be displayed.  The requirements are constantly moving upwards.  Personally, I think that you might get it to run at 800x600 without the advanced_effects package.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#6 Gamecuber

Gamecuber

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:41 AM

View Posta2daj, on February 23rd 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

Could you be any more condescending and less helpful?

Freespace Open's sys reqs demand a G4/867Mhz. Hardly top of the line.

View Posta2daj, on February 23rd 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

Could you at least provide a link to the FS2_Open sys reqs?

There's this wonderful invention called Google...

#7 Xavier

Xavier

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

FS2_Open will run on your MacBook. You will not however be able to use most of the eye-candy features. So if you were to just install it and run, you should be ok.
Moof!

#8 Gamecuber

Gamecuber

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:09 AM

Apparently, there's a good chance that the next revision of the Macbook will sport the Intel GMA X3000 which is considerably faster and more advanced than the GMA950 (http://www.macrumors...acking-for-may/)
As I won't be buying a new macbook until late Summer/early Autumn) there's a good chance that it might already carry this new graphics system. I don't have the budget to buy a Macbook Pro, so all I can do is pray and wait...