10 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

MacSoft today released an update to Close Combat: First To Fight, which brings Universal Binary support to the tactical squad-based shooter. Now Intel Mac users can play the game at full native speeds under those types of Macs. The download, which brings the game to version 1.0.3, can be downloaded from Macgamefiles.com.

PowerPC users should not download the 1.0.3 update as it is intended for Intel Mac users only.

To download the update, please follow the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

A story that's a few weeks old but better late than never.
Edward

#3 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

View PostIMG News, on January 8th 2007, 12:29 PM, said:

MacSoft today released an update to Close Combat: First To Fight, which brings Universal Binary support to the tactical squad-based shooter. Now Intel Mac users can play the game at full native speeds under those types of Macs. The download, which brings the game to version 1.0.3, can be downloaded from Macgamefiles.com.
PowerPC users should not download the 1.0.3 update as it is intended for Intel Mac users only.
To download the update, please follow the link below.<BR><BR><P STYLE="text-align:center;font-weight:bold;font-size:11px;"><A HREF="/news/story.php?ArticleID=14545" TARGET="_blank">Return to Full Article</A> - InsideMacGames News</P>

Well, I'm on a PPC Mac and I updated to version 1.0.3 yesterday when Macupdate.com had it listed.  I tried running it and it seemed fine. So I assume the game is going to be ok. . . right?
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
, MacOSX 10.5.6 Leopard/b]
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac
, [b]Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard

#4 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

View Postmacgallant, on January 8th 2007, 03:03 PM, said:

Well, I'm on a PPC Mac and I updated to version 1.0.3 yesterday when Macupdate.com had it listed.  I tried running it and it seemed fine. So I assume the game is going to be ok. . . right?

I did the same. Same results. Yes.
Edward

#5 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

you sure?
it only turned up on macupdate yesterday, so it could be that MU was a bit slow...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

This is a good game, I own it but I don't play it much for a couple of reasons.  It's silly, but I feel guilt and remorse when one of my squad dies.  Plus there is sort of a learning curve when it comes to the complex key commands at your disposal.  One plays against the other, I don't play much because I can't stand to see a man I'm responsible for die and this prevents me from mastering the commands which contributes to men under my command dying.  I wind up taking all the chances myself rather than putting my men at risk but I know that is ineffective and in real life would be dangerous to them too.

One of these days I'll buck up and learn the game as the potential for an interesting gaming session is huge.  I love the strategy involved.  As a commander I think I'd be either really great or totally suck ass, but I'd not be mediocre.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

View Postteflon, on January 8th 2007, 01:38 PM, said:

you sure?
it only turned up on macupdate yesterday, so it could be that MU was a bit slow...

I'm pretty sure:

http://www.insidemac...showtopic=28464
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#8 paulc

paulc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

Seems to be that the most relevant question is whether we will or won't see a sequel. I liked the game, but it's now a few years later...

#9 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:16 PM

ah... my bad, i hadnt spotted that when it came through...
obviously, not many people did..
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6191 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 8th 2007, 03:39 PM, said:

This is a good game, I own it but I don't play it much for a couple of reasons.  It's silly, but I feel guilt and remorse when one of my squad dies.  Plus there is sort of a learning curve when it comes to the complex key commands at your disposal.  One plays against the other, I don't play much because I can't stand to see a man I'm responsible for die and this prevents me from mastering the commands which contributes to men under my command dying.  I wind up taking all the chances myself rather than putting my men at risk but I know that is ineffective and in real life would be dangerous to them too.

One of these days I'll buck up and learn the game as the potential for an interesting gaming session is huge.  I love the strategy involved.  As a commander I think I'd be either really great or totally suck ass, but I'd not be mediocre.

If you ever give it a try online, definitely look me up! You don't need to master controlling squadmates when playing with another person. I love this game and over the summer I spent several entire days playing it online with a 27 year-old Marine gunner who also likes it. Coop is extremely rewarding, especially when you play with people who are willing to work as a team and use strategy. (And on that note, it'd be pretty cool to put together an IMG fireteam.)

Pretty decent squad leader myself... usually human teammates only die when they don't listen (which, unfortunately, is often; Internet Pseudo-Marines lack discipline). If someone else wants to take the lead, I'm always happy hosing down the enemy with the SAW too. :D

I usually don't lose AI squad members, but that's mostly because I figured out you can only truly trust the AI when

1) Clearing a room
2) Moving down an open street
3) Navigating a stairway

The AI is good, but it's not nearly as awesome as advertised. If you get into really rough areas with tons of poss. ambush points, you HAVE to take direct control of your Marines or they'll get chopped up.

That said, modern small unit combat tactics work great when you're playing on Marine or Gunny difficulty levels (the game is just ridiculous on Simulation; doable, but hugely frustrating as the enemy gets lucky headshots rather frequently). Watch your Marines' fire sectors and make prodigious use of good overwatch positions, usually for the SAW gunner, when advancing your men. Smokes are great too when you're facing an advance through a really popsnizzley position. Use grenades like you've got a fetish for 'em too... if that corner looks funny and there aren't civilians in the area, send a frag around it. More often than not a ground beef enemy or two will come flying out.

I understand where you're coming from though. Every now and then a shot just clips a man in a vital area and there's nothing you can do about it. Always makes me feel bad, but hey... at least most of the time they don't die, just are incapacitated and you can give 'em first aid and get a corpsman to haul them off. If all else fails though, put it on an easy difficulty level and pretend the opfor are just dressed up Marines with simunitions and it's a training exercise. ;)
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:41 AM

I'm a Total Carnage kind of guy, I think I've just been playing at too high a setting out of habit.  I'll kick it back to something easier.  That's for the tips and pep talk.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat