Spike's Content

There have been 82 items by Spike (Search limited from 23-June 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#449260 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by Spike on 05 June 2018 - 12:20 PM in Mac OS Related

View PostJanichsan, on 05 June 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

I can't think of a single deprecated feature that ultimately has not been removed. Even the example for a deprecated feature not yet fully removed I mentioned earlier – Carbon – is living on borrowed time and will eventually go away with macOS 10.15.

Everything will get removed. At some point OpenGL will get removed, at some point (much later) Metal will get removed, at some point (much later) OS X will no longer be around.

This is not like 32 bit being announced that it is being removed. Announcing being deprecated (as opposed to the state that it has been in) is not announcing its impending removal - that is in the foreseeable "soon" future" that would have any meaning.

People are under the impression that Apple is signifying OpenGL will be removed in the soon future of a couple years like 32-bit, and I am saying it does not. Although it can have the interpretation of the first step in doing so, like I said, it would be too devastating and so am not worried that Apple will remove in the soon future that has meaning (which I think at minimum if everything went right and the vast majority of software changed and no longer used OpenGL for at least 4 years, would be at least be 8 years away if ever).

#449255 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by Spike on 05 June 2018 - 10:17 AM in Mac OS Related

I dont see a difference of official announcement of deprecation and reality, but not important. The point was it does not signify that removal is imminent.

Apple exact stance on what deprecation means as listed on their developer site:

Deprecations and Removed APIs

Periodically, Apple adds deprecation macros to APIs to indicate that those APIs should no longer be used in active development. When a deprecation occurs, it’s not an immediate end of life for the specified API. Instead, it is the beginning of a grace period for transitioning from that API and to newer and more modern replacements. Deprecated APIs typically remain present and usable in the system for a reasonable time past the release in which they were deprecated. However, active development on them ceases, and the APIs receive only minor changes to accommodate security patches or to fix other critical bugs. Deprecated APIs may be removed entirely from a future version of the operating system.

As a developer, avoid using deprecated APIs in your code as soon as possible. At a minimum, new code you write should never use deprecated APIs. And if your existing code uses deprecated APIs, update that code as soon as possible.

Note that it does not signify it will be removed, only that it may be removed in the future.
Although nothing lasts forever and everything eventually does go away, removing OpenGL anytime in the next few years would be too devastating and so I dont see it happening. The only thing I do see now is with Apple threatening, then more developers will leave the Mac platform.

#449245 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by Spike on 04 June 2018 - 04:19 PM in Mac OS Related

View PostCougar, on 04 June 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

I asked Brad Oliver this on Twitter, and he said this likely means OpenGL games will stop working eventually (but the 32-bit transition will hit first.)

I disagree, at least in the next decade.

#449243 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by Spike on 04 June 2018 - 03:36 PM in Mac OS Related

View PostCougar, on 04 June 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

Are you talking about the grouped notifications? They're just bringing that back from iOS 6. I imagine it'll be optional like that was.

No, I was referring to the whole thing about people checking their notifications from sleep and seeing too many - so now it doesnt show them. In their example I remember it instead showing weather and saying good morning or something like that.

devSin, Apple deprecated OpenGL so many years ago. Deprecated doesnt mean removing, just not going to be updated.

#449240 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by Spike on 04 June 2018 - 03:01 PM in Mac OS Related

10.14 looks alright, but nothing extraordinary. Comparing to 10.13 for me.

Like about 10.13:
- egpu support that I cant use yet

Bad about 10.13:
- slower performance
- less stability
- worse UI changes

Like about 10.14:
- New Mac App Store
- dark mode
- new privacy features

What I dislike about 10.14:
- all the new Finder abilities (that only purpose is so dont have to run an applicatio
- that Finder desktop cleanup thing messing up my desktop
- never used Facetime since its Apple proprietary
- never would use those iOS apps they brought to Mac

iOS12 on the other hand only had the first feature of performance that I like. The rest I dont want and I especially hate what they showed on the notification changes.

#449114 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Spike on 23 May 2018 - 01:47 PM in General

World of Warcraft classic. Thats classic, as the current WoW is not for me. WoW had a lot of elements I like in a game, including communication and teamwork.

#449096 Razer releases entry-level eGPU $299 eGPU enclosure with macOS support

Posted by Spike on 22 May 2018 - 11:24 AM in IMG News Discussion

Nice.

I wish reviewers would give idle and in use noise ratings as in decibels (dB) thats comparable. Quietness is a major feature for me.

#449062 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 15 May 2018 - 01:16 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 15 May 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

I would still maintain that neither input nor design are major problems.

It is exactly this - interfaces and input - that Tim Cook is talking about that there would be unwanted compromises in this support. There is no way Apple would do this, fortunately.

#448958 Elite: Dangerous

Posted by Spike on 02 May 2018 - 06:41 PM in Mac Simulators

View PostUmarOMC1, on 02 May 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

I can't blame them when I feel Apple hasn't and doesn't care enough about macOS either.

Quoted for emphases.

#448841 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 23 April 2018 - 10:22 AM in Mac Hardware

View Postmacdude22, on 23 April 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

Sure but ARM64 was not added with OS X as a default SDK target until 10.12.

I said they are building macOS for ARM platforms, I never said it would see the light of day.

FWIW they have been testing (what we would consider) macOS on ARM for far longer than anyone really thinks.

https://repository.t...ection=research

We can speculate about the likelihood of an actual released Macintosh with an Apple designed processor at it's heart til the cows come home, but there's nothing to speculate about Apple building (what we would consider) macOS on ARM internally.

I expect most here don't know what I do for a living so carry on. Clearly I know nothing. :teehee:

What?

Again, that is for DARWIN - THE KERNEL. As I have stated, Darwin was ported to ARM for iOS. Your new link is also again for DARWIN, which is only the kernel!

#448835 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 23 April 2018 - 01:48 AM in Mac Hardware

View Postmacdude22, on 22 April 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

Anyone who thinks Apple doesn't have macOS running on ARM right now isn't paying attention.

https://opensource.a...570.1.46/osfmk/

I cant .... resist.... as well.....

The link macdude22 posted is for Apple's iOS (and MacOS etc...) kernel as part of Darwin. Macdude22 not realize that this iOS kernel has been on ARM since 2007?

#448832 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 22 April 2018 - 10:03 PM in Mac Hardware

Anyone who thinks Apple doesn't have macOS running on ARM right now isn't paying attention.
No. Have been paying attention.

A full fledged A-series Mac, hard to say if it ever sees the light of day but Apple's had an affinity for RISC since the beginning of time. Including being one of the original investors in ARM.
Apple engineers believed the future was RISC in switching to PowerPC. After proven wrong, they then switched to CISC.

Folks here are letting their long histories with Apple and personal experience impact their view of the market.
No. History with Apple not impacting view. View based on variety of information and facts.

The average lululemon hunbot at Starbucks on a Mac is not doing highend editing and would be just as happy if their clamshell machine was running on Apple designed processors. Heck they probably wouldn't notice if the iPad versions of these apps were dropped in verbatim.
And my crystal ball says average user would indeed care what CPU is in Mac after seeing the many disadvantages.

Until Apple does $thing it's all speculation but in my experience most of the arguments against an ARM based Mac laid out in this thread are not huge concerns for Apple.
Sorry.

#448820 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 21 April 2018 - 10:11 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 21 April 2018 - 02:51 AM, said:

Spike, you asked me, "And how many of those are using an ARM based computer again?" The answer is all of them. Those 10,000 iOS devices ARE computers. Even when I list that as a definition you still blow it off. They are computers being used to do WORK in a business now.
etc.....

I obviously meant desktops/laptops with ARM.

Again, I need to repeat in response to all that mumbo jumbo is again I am discussing Macs replacing Intel -- NOT computers being overtaken by iOS. For an iOS overtaking Macs or other words Macs are doomed discussion, I again suggest a different thread.

#448808 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 20 April 2018 - 12:58 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 April 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

With the above definitions clarified I will one more time point out that I have been talking about consumers. I have made comments about business users in the context of this topic but the things I am saying, the views I hold about Apple moving MacBooks and low end iMacs perhaps to ARM are about the consumer market, the people buying notebooks at BestBuy, Amazon or whatever. The same ones sporting iPhones and sometimes using iPads either instead of or along with a MacBook. These people are buying these products to use at home and sometimes school as well. Desktop Macs no longer even rate a footnote with this crowd on the whole.

Our responses about ARM in Macs have been exactly about consumers and not professionals as has been repeatedly said.

This tech isn't static. It continues to be improved and substantially so annually by Apple. Are they done? Will there be no A12 Bionic chip that is significantly more powerful than its predecessor and so on? Can someone here tell me what year the ceiling will be hit and Apple will be screwed because they can no longer refresh the iPhone? I didn't think so.
Intel will improve also and have been designed for the computer market.

What about macdude22's comments? This guy is an expert and knows what people are using in a large Apple environment. Did you miss his post? 10,000 iOS devices vs 2000 Macs. I just read above that ARM sucks so badly and software runs like popsnizzle on it unless you are some teen glued to Instagram, WhatsApp and Facebook. I don't think thousands of people where he works are doing that all day because the place wouldn't last a week like that. So, what are those people doing with those 10,000 ARM powered iOS devices, work maybe? That would be my guess. Apparently there is some software that people do real work with on ARM. Who knew?
And how many of those are using an ARM based computer again?

Lastly, the thing about being dependent on Intel is something I've read multiple times lately. In one case I read about at least one and it might have been two issues where Intel's release schedule was not optimal for Apple. I'm not going looking for it. You can assume I made it up if you like. I'll still sleep just fine tonight.
Well if its on the internet, then it must be true!

One more time... I am talking about Apple users and Apple users only. PCs, Chromebooks, etc. need not apply. Stop with the freaking Chromebooks already and the popsnizzlety HPs, Dells and whatever notebooks with Celeron chips. They are irrelevant. Apple users don't buy that crap.
That is what the market is for what you were talking about - "consumers" with very little needs. Once Apple consumers see the rumored ARM based Mac and all its disadvantages, they will goto windows and chromebooks.

I don't think anyone here thinks Macs are doomed including me. I think they are just changing is all. I don't think there will be 3 or 4 part fragmented user base either. There will be future versions of both macOS for Pro systems and iOS for everything else. Note: future versions. This means a future iOS will incorporate whatever added features it may need to for MacBooks and possibly low end iMacs.
Macs going only for professional users would so significantly reduce its market that Apple would no longer invest in its development. It would be a repeat of Apple xserve that they abandoned when not enough market.

#448794 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 19 April 2018 - 10:37 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 April 2018 - 05:49 AM, said:

I am talking about people who do not care about what is inside the hardware they use which I think I need to point out again, is most of them. They are not like you and I who take interest in and follow this stuff. They don't know a CPU from a GPU, etc.

Exactly my original point, these consumers that have little need opt for cheap windows laptop or chromebook or ipad, not an ARM Mac over an Intel Mac.

The crux of this discussion in my eyes is the middle tier of users, most of which have already moved to iOS as Apple revenue pie charts very clearly indicate. I know it's hard for people here to get their head around this but a huge number of people do all their computing on a phone now. A substantial number also use a tablet primarily owing to its larger display.

A lot of the discussion here lately has redirected to saying what everyone here already knows - that iOS is popular and has its larger market. So people here are saying they believe Mac growth will halt and get replaced by iOS? That Macs are then doomed? I have heard this for decades all the time. I think a different thread would be better for these Macs are doomed rants, as this is suppose to be about rumor of Macs replacing Intel. I admit Macs are doing badly right now as Apple hasnt updated the Mac Pro, Mini, and Air in many years along with MacOS development currently so bad with High Sierra. I wish Apple had a better CEO.

The kinds of apps the middle tier need to run are not dependent on Intel CPU power and Apple would benefit greatly by not being dependent on Intel. They would gain control over refresh cycles that has at times been problematic with Intel.

Intel isnt just about processing power, it also has many features that Apple's CPU does not. Also, Intel is NOT the problem with Apple refreshing their Macs. All the Windows laptop makes dont have a problem with Intel refresh cycles, the PROBLEM IS Apple. Intel refreshed to Skylake and all the manufacturers went to it except it took Apple a year. Intel refreshed to Kaby Lake and all the manufacturers went to it except Apple who still have most models that have not refreshed.

#448779 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 18 April 2018 - 09:09 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 18 April 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

I think you may misunderstand me. I am talking about Apple users who are consumers that already prefer Apple products for a variety of reasons including the ecosystem benefits, ease of use, perceptions regarding security vs competitors, quality and design of the hardware, quality of support, innovation in the product lines, software user interfaces, services, etc.

No, I disagree. People who want ecosystem, ease, perception of security, etc, will want an Intel Mac. Once people see that an ARM Mac offers nothing except slightly lower cost and only offers incompatibilities, confusion, and headaches will show that the vast majority then see Intel is the way to go as already seen by Microsofts ARM computers being fail. Apple ARM would not have slightly more battery life, they would instead build with a slightly smaller battery.

#448768 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 17 April 2018 - 07:59 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 16 April 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

What I am doing is separating out the consumer and professional user markets here and their respective needs. Productivity software for the typical office, business user, home user and most college kids is not demanding. On top of that, in larger businesses many users are accessing server applications as clients. It seems reasonable to me that all these users would be fine without high performance CPUs in their notebooks or even office desktops.

These as you say consumers that have little need would not need or buy a Mac. They just get a cheap windows computer or chromebook, which an ARM MacBook would not compete with. People who want and buy Macs want to run Intel Mac software and a large percentage want bootcamp.

#448698 The Elder Scrolls Online Launched

Posted by Spike on 04 April 2018 - 02:46 PM in IMG News Discussion

For me, it performs great. Ive been playing ESO the most the past couple of months. On my 2012 rMBP with 650M 1GB at 1920x1200 low settings and 10.11.6 I get between 30 to 48 fps and zero pauses or lag.

I went ahead and updated my 10.13.4 partition and tried ESO. I then saw a cursor problem and fps ranged from 24 to 35 with pauses of half a second here and there. It was not really playable. However all my software runs worse on 10.13 (the worst MacOS I have ever used), so I dont consider it an ESO problem.

#448692 The Elder Scrolls Online Launched

Posted by Spike on 04 April 2018 - 10:34 AM in IMG News Discussion

I have been playing quite a bit and havent seen any of those, but I run 10.11.6.

#448681 The Elder Scrolls Online Launched

Posted by Spike on 04 April 2018 - 01:19 AM in IMG News Discussion

View Postikir, on 04 April 2018 - 12:51 AM, said:

Now after 2 years the Mac version is so full of bugs that my friends are quitting playing.

I have been playing on my Mac and havent seen a single bug. I just solo thou and dont raid.

#448659 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Spike on 02 April 2018 - 01:50 PM in Mac Hardware

Hoping its just rumor. I know I would not buy a non-Intel Mac.

#448550 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Spike on 22 March 2018 - 10:19 AM in General

View PostEllieFeral, on 22 March 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

Out of interest, which games would you put in that 2%?

For Mac: Combat Mission series, ARMA (experimental, may never be released for Mac)
For Windows: War in the Pacific AE, War in the East, Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations, Panther Games, DCS sims, Red Orchestra 2, and a few others I have not tried because no Mac version and rebooting to Windows sucks.

Sadly, not a single WWII naval sim (not a campaign)

#448544 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Spike on 21 March 2018 - 08:59 AM in General

Almost all (that is 98%) war games are just a game that is in the war theme and so for these, nothing extra over other games.

For the very rare war games (about 2%) that actually try and be a simulation, then I love to learn how it was at the time as well as see what-ifs on different decisions and tactics.

#448358 Vulkan Officially Released - No Mac Support

Posted by Spike on 28 February 2018 - 10:33 AM in IMG News Discussion

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 28 February 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

Unchanged, as the current state of MoltenVK is not in a shape where AAA games will use it.

So DOTA 2 (and more coming) is not a AAA game?

#448333 Vulkan Officially Released - No Mac Support

Posted by Spike on 26 February 2018 - 02:39 PM in IMG News Discussion

View Postmacdude22, on 26 February 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

The usual porting houses feral and aspyr are already adept at natively porting directX to metal and the major engines like Unreal4 already support metal so I’m not sure who this is for unless there is more uptake in vulkan than I realized.

Also engines such as CryEngine that support Vulkan (beta).