#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:31 AM

Just dropping a line that the 2-Step Authentication system for MGS/WGS was rolled out on October 24th. Seems to be gaining momentum as users discover it on their own and turn it on. We also enabled it for very old returning accounts, to protect them from unwanted passhattery from combo list attackers. So far only 1 person out of a thousand has failed to figure out how to do 2FA. I think thats fairly decent.

So, if you have an account on MGS, I suggest you enable 2FA for the extra protection and peace of mind.

Its not the kind of 2FA that asks for a cell phone number, and charges you a penny everytime it sends a code. Its handled through email. Because if someone has access to your email... there really is nothing we can to do safeguard your security at that point.

But as always, great protection... is using a very long, very unique password for each and every site/service you sign up for.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:59 AM

I liked the easy deauth all devices to force a 2FA authentication for everything after setting it up.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

I like Google's Authenticator app which generates a time based code. More and more sites are using it: Google (duh), Origin/EA, Uplay/Ubisoft, Amazon, Facebook, Cisco Meraki, Skrill, etc. For some reason Humble Bundle uses Authy, a similar app. And of course Steam had to develop its own system, integrated into their app.

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

Most of them are based on the OATH standard for out of band 2FA. Often you can register with your app of choice, even if the vendor recommends Google/authy/theirownapp

Humble is using some modification though, they generate a 7 digit value not 6. FWIW Authy is compatible with GA tokens so I see people move from GA to Authy somewhat often since they can use Authy as their lone 2FA app.

Except Steam. And Apple. :moreangry:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:29 PM

Relying on a 3rd party system to deliver, never a good idea. So what if the code lasts 15 seconds. I curse and bitch at steam's stupid code thing because its a pain in the ass to type in a code correctly on a mobile device, let alone juggling back n forth between letters and numbers, and doing it on within seconds or the code doesnt work. Screw that. A code lasting 10 minutes is far more user friendly, and just as secure. I think some of these systems only put the fear of 'OMG SECURE!' when really, its nothing more than "whats your mothers maiden name" nonsense in a new wrapper.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 03 November 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

FWIW Authy is compatible with GA tokens so I see people move from GA to Authy somewhat often since they can use Authy as their lone 2FA app.

Thanks for the tip. I switched to a new Androphone (LG Nexus 5X) and have consolidated all auths in Authy now. Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Dropbox, Amazon, Google, Meraki, Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, Skrill, everything works.

#7 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 03 November 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

since they can use Authy as their lone 2FA app.

Except Steam. And Apple. :moreangry:

You can add Paypal and eBay too, they use Symantec's VIP Access which doesn't seem to be supported by Authy.

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 28 December 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

You can add Paypal and eBay too, they use Symantec's VIP Access which doesn't seem to be supported by Authy.

AAAAAPPPPPLLEEEEE

It only grinds my gears because I need to use Apple 2FA in the depths of the hospital and they either use SMS or find my iPhone which I do not have my service apple ID signed in on my phone. So I have to run to a window, get my code, and run back to log into apple services.