• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

Birdemic is :thumbsup:
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#42 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6173 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 03 June 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

Birdemic is :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#43 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2193 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

View PostTibur, on 21 February 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

The prequels lost me at midichlorians. Sorry. The Force is not biological.

You're correct, it isn't.  Maybe actually pay attention to the dialogue closely.  (I realize this sounds standoffish.  Not my intent.  But this is a sore subject with me because its an invented issue if you actually pay attention to what is said.)  

You aren't more powerful in the Force because you have a higher concentration of microscopic magical space bean creatures in your blood.

You're correct again!  You have a higher concentration of microscopic space bean creatures in your blood because you are more powerful in the Force.  

Otherwise, there'd be a huge market for blood transfusions from those with high concentrations of them in their blood.  Senator Palpatine would be essentially a vampire, going around draining the blood of anyone who showed the slightest ability and young Anakin would have been an empty husk at the beginning of Ep. II.</end rant>

The number of people who didn't understand the rather plain dialogue that medichlorians(sp) are attracted to the Force, not the cause of it, is staggering.  They dont cause the force, they are merely attracted to it, and therefore present anywhere it is strong.  

View PostJanichsan, on 03 June 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

To re-activate and repurpose this thread: I don't know if anyone else has already seen "Solo", but I would suggest saving the money and wait for it to be streamable or lendable on disc. It's really not great.

I mean, it's not a disaster either (as you might have expected): it's certainly competently made, passes the time, and has a few good moments, but not enough to make it really worthwhile. It's really lacking thrill and humour, and is utterly devoid of charm. And the "big" surprise at the end feels completely unnecessary.

Basically my thoughts on the movie as well.  Its.. a movie.  You could have changed the names and made it into any other generic sci-fi movie.  Its not horrible, its not great.  

And the surprise at the end is only a surprise to non-fans - or, at least, people whose only exposure is the theatrical movies.

The reveal in question is not even a reveal if you follow the rest of the canon (and we're not even talking the books - the TV shows).

#44 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:50 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 03 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

Basically my thoughts on the movie as well.  Its.. a movie.  You could have changed the names and made it into any other generic sci-fi movie.  Its not horrible, its not great.  

Star Wars isn't sci-fi.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#45 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3356 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 03 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

And the surprise at the end is only a surprise to non-fans - or, at least, people whose only exposure is the theatrical movies.

The reveal in question is not even a reveal if you follow the rest of the canon (and we're not even talking the books - the TV shows).

Are you talking about
Spoiler
?

If so I don't really think it fair to say it was only a surprise for non-fans. I'm quite a Star Wars fan myself (read a good chunk of books) and had no idea that was coming. If that was set up in The Clone Wars or Rebels TV series that I think it is safe to say that most adults were surprised by it - aren't those series kid's shows?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#46 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:50 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 04 June 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

Are you talking about
Spoiler
?

If so I don't really think it fair to say it was only a surprise for non-fans. I'm quite a Star Wars fan myself (read a good chunk of books) and had no idea that was coming. If that was set up in The Clone Wars or Rebels TV series that I think it is safe to say that most adults were surprised by it - aren't those series kid's shows?
Yes, that's what we are talking about. The TV series aren't really "kid's" shows. Mainly targeted at teens maybe, but for much younger audiences they are too dark and too violent (in a typical Star Wars way, that is). They are still canon, though, so whatever happens there is in fact relevant for the larger Star Wars universe.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#47 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:32 AM

I actually really liked Solo. It wasn't special by any means but I went it not expecting a ton and I was surprised. I was also impressed that they managed to get a good movie out after that production hell. And I thought the twist was really cool and made me excited for more (I think they are doing one more movie with some of these characters).

That being said, i still definitely don't understand why we got another Han Solo movie, but I still liked it regardless.

I will also say that based on the trailers I had little to no faith in the guy playing Han Solo, but he was really good as Han. Seriously surprising.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#48 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6173 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

I have to come down on the side of liking Solo as well. Ron Howard did a good job rescuing the film. It was not great, but neither was it bad, just good and fun and worth the ticket price I paid. And it's not another damn Marvel movie FFS.

It's a shame it's being punished for TLJ's SJW fest and KK popsnizzleting on fans. They'll probably take the wrong message away from it since those kinds of people generally reside in echo chambers, and double down now on more space cow milking and less Han shooting first, and thus Star Wars will finally hit a brick wall.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#49 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3356 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Way too many marvel movies right now. Around a month ago there was 3 of them in theaters simultaneously.... (Black Panther, Avengers, Deadpool 2)
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#50 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:39 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 05 June 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Way too many marvel movies right now. Around a month ago there was 3 of them in theaters simultaneously.... (Black Panther, Avengers, Deadpool 2)

I haven't seen the second one but if it's anything like the first I wouldn't say it follows the Marvel Movie formula exactly. Maybe thats just personal opinion, but I didn't feel like I was watching another Marvel movie when I watched the first.

This all being said though, that was one of my many complaints about the last jedi (Im still so sorry for dumping straight up essays on you all) is that it kinda felt like a marvel movie which is not why I see Star Wars, and it also felt a like a bad Marvel movie even.

Solo felt a lot more natural, and I also loved that it had so many connections to the larger universe as opposed to TLJ which seemed completely cut off. the bossk reference at the beginning, we finally get to see corellia, hans mentor figure being the one who killed aura sing, little things like that that remind you that this universe is huge and this is just one story. I've always felt that star wars' universe building is one of its greatest strengths.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#51 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:30 AM

View Postipickert55, on 05 June 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

I haven't seen the second one but if it's anything like the first I wouldn't say it follows the Marvel Movie formula exactly. Maybe thats just personal opinion, but I didn't feel like I was watching another Marvel movie when I watched the first.
Deadpool is a Marvel character, but these are not Marvel Studios movies.

Solo felt a lot more natural, and I also loved that it had so many connections to the larger universe as opposed to TLJ which seemed completely cut off. the bossk reference at the beginning, we finally get to see corellia, hans mentor figure being the one who killed aura sing, little things like that that remind you that this universe is huge and this is just one story. I've always felt that star wars' universe building is one of its greatest strengths.
And that was actually one of the things I liked the least about Solo. It felt forced and was nothing but fanservice, which includes (screw it the thread already has "SPOILERS GALORE" in its title) the inclusion of Darth Maul as the shadowy mastermind in the background.

All these connection shrink a whole galaxy with probably a few trillions of sentient beings to just a small handful of characters that somehow keep running into each other over the course of many decades and who keep influencing the fate of countless star systems. If in the Star Wars equivalent of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon the central character is Emperor Palpatine, no one seems to achieve a higher Palpatine number than 3 including a random Tusken Bantha herder in the most remote desert of Tatooine. That's not a "universe", that's a cheap soap opera with a very limited cast.

That TLJ tried to avoid this, was in fact one of the reasons why I enjoyed that movie so much.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#52 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 06 June 2018 - 03:30 AM, said:

And that was actually one of the things I liked the least about Solo. It felt forced and was nothing but fanservice, which includes (screw it – the thread already has "SPOILERS GALORE" in its title) the inclusion of Darth Maul as the shadowy mastermind in the background.

All these connection shrink a whole galaxy with probably a few trillions of sentient beings to just a small handful of characters that somehow keep running into each other over the course of many decades and who keep influencing the fate of countless star systems. If in the Star Wars equivalent of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon the central character is Emperor Palpatine, no one seems to achieve a higher Palpatine number than 3 – including a random Tusken Bantha herder in the most remote desert of Tatooine. That's not a "universe", that's a cheap soap opera with a very limited cast.

That TLJ tried to avoid this, was in fact one of the reasons why I enjoyed that movie so much.

I can understand that. I guess it just didn't feel forced to me, even if it was fanservice-y. I think that not mentioning these connections at all shrinks the galaxy a lot more than offhandedly mentioning them a couple of times though.