Sneaky Snake's Content

There have been 82 items by Sneaky Snake (Search limited from 21-November 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#449501 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 01 August 2018 - 06:05 PM in Mac Hardware

Intel's 10nm Cannon Lake process has been an absolute disaster for them. They were originally planning to release their 10nm chips in 2016. Now they are saying "Holiday 2019" for the new chips, which likely means Q1 2020 in reality. Because of this massive delay their huge performance lead on AMD has essentially vanished.

AMD is actually matching Intel in performance per watt with their new Ryzen 2000 chips and AMD has their 7nm chips (made by TSMC) planned for both CPUs and GPUs in 2019. TSMC's 7nm process is already operational by all reports (newest iPhone chip will be using it this fall most likely) and if that is the case Intel will have to release their 10nm architecture or AMD will gain a significant advantage in performance per watt.

#449482 New 2018 MBPs released

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 24 July 2018 - 09:19 PM in Mac Hardware

Definitely recommend people get a cheap NAS for their backups. I would probably recommend getting a 2-bay one since it is barely more money then a 1-bay and then your drives can be mirrored. Hard drives are dirt cheap these days.

#449471 New 2018 MBPs released

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 23 July 2018 - 09:37 AM in Mac Hardware

I agree with macdude, but it is unfortunate that Apple stopped updating their time capsule product. It really was the perfect product for this eventuality. Currently I see it still on the Apple store, but it is only a matter of time before they remove it. It is very easy to set up other network backup options, or to just back up to a USB drive, but those methods are beyond the skill/effort level of 90% of consumers.

Apple has been pushing iCloud Drive pretty hard with their latest macOS versions, but that is only really a good option if your data is less then 50GB (beyond that starts getting kind of pricey) and you have a fast internet connection to upload all of your data.

#449457 New 2018 MBPs released

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 18 July 2018 - 02:52 PM in Mac Hardware

The core i9 CPU's may really only be meant for more fat design laptops with real heat pipes and fans. Huge shame that apple released the product this way though. R/apple on reddit has another source showing equally dire things for the Core i9 laptop. It lost to the 2017 i7 model due to throttling itself too much.

Hopefully apple releases an update for the 2018 MBP that spins up the fans faster and/or runs them at higher rpm's in order to keep temps a bit lower. Dell's business laptop have a Power Manager app that lets you choose your thermal/noise settings (can choose to throttle your laptop to get quieter fans, or the opposite) - really hope that Apple decides to go that route as well (not holding my breath though).

#449452 eGPU benefit on internal monitor?

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 17 July 2018 - 03:55 PM in Mac Hardware

Even if it works your performance is significantly worse compared to an external monitor. The reason being that the TB cable has limited bandwidth and if you have to pipe all of the display data back over the TB cable to your internal screen it uses up some of that precious bandwidth.

Internal Display data path: Computer -> TB cable -> eGPU -> TB cable -> Internal Display
External Display data path: Computer -> TB cable -> eGPU -> HDMI/DP -> External Display

Various benchmarks of eGPU's on Youtube (Razer Core for example) showcase this performance loss.

#449444 New 2018 MBPs released

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 16 July 2018 - 09:23 AM in Mac Hardware

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 July 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Yeah, my 17" MacBookPro8,3 .. still going strong, no issues, hell, even runs faster with 10.6.8 on it than my newer piece of popsnizzle 15" retina garbage mbp with 10.13 on it.

Still waiting for a new MBP that isn't garbage.

Still.

Do you run into any many incompatibility issues with 3rd party apps on Snow Leopard?

#449440 New 2018 MBPs released

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 15 July 2018 - 12:10 PM in Mac Hardware

Apparently the new gen3 keyboard has some sort of membrane in it that prevents dust from getting into the keys. Apple didn't advertise that though, since that would be implying that dust was a problem for previous generations.

My brother has had his keyboard replaced twice on his 2016 13" touchbar MBP. He works as a biologist inside 99% of the time. I asked him if he would go back to his old 2013 rMBP if he could (it got stolen) and he told me he would in a heartbeat.

#449395 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 04 July 2018 - 11:29 AM in Mac OS Related

I'm running the Mojave beta on my MBP. Seems pretty solid. Performance is good. Haven't tried the new features much yet, but as of now it seems just as good or better than High Sierra.

Initially I upgraded my High Sierra installation to Mojave but I was getting some performance issues (which were there with High Sierra as well). I messed around with my partitions way to much so I suspect that was the cause (re-sizing bootcamp and my Mac partition a bunch). I nuked the whole SSD and re-installed a fresh copy of Mojave and it runs very smoothly now.

#449375 64-Bit compatibility topic

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 29 June 2018 - 01:30 PM in General

View PostJanichsan, on 27 June 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

Most of them? WoW and StarCraft 2 do. Heroes of the Storm removed the Metal renderer months ago. Hearthstone runs as far as I know still on an old version of the Unity engine which does not support Metal for Mac. And StarCraft Classic/Remastered, Diablo II, Diablo III, and WarCraft III all run on OpenGL.

Didn't realize the pulled it for HotS. HotS, Diablo III, SC2, and WoW are the only games that need metal I would argue. Hopefully it returns for HotS and makes it to Diablo 3. Hearthstone is about as intensive a web browser game so it can sit on Unity. Hopefully the older games make it over to 64 bit.

#449358 64-Bit compatibility topic

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 27 June 2018 - 08:54 AM in General

I expect that Blizzard's games will get updated. Blizzard is even supporting Metal in most of their Mac games, so I would think 64 bit support should be pretty trivial for them to add.

#449299 MacOS 10.14 - Mojave

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 12 June 2018 - 09:27 AM in Mac OS Related

I'm looking forward to the quick editing features on Mojave. Fight me :fencing:

#449268 The Last Jedi [SPOILERS GALORE]

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 05 June 2018 - 02:29 PM in Off-Topic

Way too many marvel movies right now. Around a month ago there was 3 of them in theaters simultaneously.... (Black Panther, Avengers, Deadpool 2)

#449236 The Last Jedi [SPOILERS GALORE]

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 04 June 2018 - 10:01 AM in Off-Topic

View PostTetsuya, on 03 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

And the surprise at the end is only a surprise to non-fans - or, at least, people whose only exposure is the theatrical movies.

The reveal in question is not even a reveal if you follow the rest of the canon (and we're not even talking the books - the TV shows).

Are you talking about
Spoiler
?

If so I don't really think it fair to say it was only a surprise for non-fans. I'm quite a Star Wars fan myself (read a good chunk of books) and had no idea that was coming. If that was set up in The Clone Wars or Rebels TV series that I think it is safe to say that most adults were surprised by it - aren't those series kid's shows?

#449185 Steam Link coming to iOS and tvOS

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 29 May 2018 - 02:36 PM in General

Streaming games to end-users directly from a data center is almost certainly the end goal. The in-home stuff I expect is just the beta test for what will ultimately come next. Nvidia's Game Streaming tech has been out for a few years and now they are developing Geforce Now. I expect all of that home game streaming tech was the gateway dev environment for datacenter->home game streaming. Nvidia has already published that you will be able to pay more for a better graphics experience.

Valve, Microsoft, Sony, etc. all are salivating at the thought of signing people up for a $X/month all you can game buffet. Corporations love subscription revenue models. End users will love that popsnizzle too. Subscription models have taken over virtually every industry. It is only a matter of time before it takes over in gaming as well.

I'm actually really surprised that Steam and Sony haven't introduced some sort of subscription model for games. Microsoft and EA are already playing around with it. EA Access for $50/year on my PC is an absolutely fantastic deal.

#449183 Steam Link coming to iOS and tvOS

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 29 May 2018 - 02:09 PM in General

Frost I expect 1 font size larger when you respond. Harry has started a FONT WAR!

I can confirm that the both Playstation and Xbox streaming work very well.

I stream Halo:MCC from my Xbox One X to my gaming PC and after about 15 minutes or so I forget I am streaming the game. The graphical fidelity is not as good, but once I get immersed in the game I don't notice it. I always play God of War 4 from my PS4 Pro to my PC via streaming. I hate not being able to alt-tab to other stuff on console, so I'd rather stream to my PC for non-competitive games and that way I'm still in my nice PC world of app switching, web browser, etc.

#449149 Razer releases entry-level eGPU $299 eGPU enclosure with macOS support

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 25 May 2018 - 10:13 AM in IMG News Discussion

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 May 2018 - 02:18 AM, said:

Wasn't this thread about an eGPU enclosure?

Anyway, I don't get the appeal of these for gaming on a Mac. For all the expense, you cannot even achieve maximal performance.

Why not spend the money on either a gaming laptop or desktop just for PC gaming instead? You get your Windows install included, whatever GPU you want and it really isn't that much more money is it?

This strikes me as a cool thing to do from a geek point of view just because you can rather than being all that practical or economical at this point.

The appeal is that you can get WAY better performance on your Mac then you were previously getting. It is also decently cheaper and simpler than building a PC. Just buy an eGPU chassis for $300, graphics card for $300 and then everything is plug and play from there.

#449132 Razer releases entry-level eGPU $299 eGPU enclosure with macOS support

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 24 May 2018 - 05:34 PM in IMG News Discussion

View PostTetsuya, on 24 May 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

G-sync is superior to Freesync in every conceivable way.  

This was true back in 2014, but since then Freesync has gotten a lot better. Freesync just utilizes the VESA standard adaptive sync so manufacturers are free to release trash products or amazing products. If you compare Freesync vs Gsync with monitors that use the same panel from the same manufacturer then you'll find the difference is minimal, until you get to price - which is where Freesync is vastly superior.

Example: Asus MG279Q vs PG279Q. The MG is the Freesync monitor and the PQ is the Gsync monitor. Both use the same panel so color accuracy is identical. The only advantage that the Gsync one has is a slightly wider adaptive sync range (30-165). The Freesync version has a range of 35-90 out of the box but it can be changed to 35-110 or 57-144 using CRU. The MG279Q is currently $208 cheaper than the PG279Q on newegg.com ($511 vs $719). Whether or not that expanded range is worth $200 will come down to user preference, but I suspect for many people it will not be worth it.

You can do the exact same comparison for many other monitors. The Acer Predator XB271HK is a 27" 4K 60Hz Gsync monitor. The Acer H7 H277HK is the Freesync version with the same specs. The Freesync version is $407 vs $671 for the Gsync version - a savings of $264.

Nvidia does have a much more strict approval process for Gsync monitors, which I suppose is a positive if people just want to get a good gaming monitor without googling it first. However, if people are willing to put a little bit of effort into their purchase, they can get a Freesync monitor that is essentially identical to the Gsync one, for significantly less money.

To further add to that, Nvidia's Gsync displays on laptops are using the exact same technology that AMD Freesync uses. If the same tech that powers AMD Freesync is good enough for Nvidia to throw its Gsync badge on, then I think that proves the point that the two technologies are close enough in parity.

The relevant snippet from the linked article:

Interestingly, G-Sync for laptops makes use of the embedded DisplayPort (eDP) standard, a standardized interface for hooking up display panels directly to internal graphics cards. On the desktop, G-Sync can only be used with compatible monitors that contain Nvidia's G-Sync module.

According to Nvidia, the reason desktop displays need a G-Sync module is that it provides a much more controllable end-to-end solution for consistent performance. However, for G-Sync laptops, there's no module. Instead, the display is directly controlled by the GPU, which pulls double duty as both scaler and graphics card. G-Sync exploits this connection and the variable timing and panel self-refresh functionality built into eDP, effectively implementing G-Sync in software.

The more technically minded out there will note that this is very similar to how AMD's FreeSync works on the desktop, the tech being based DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync, which was in turn based on eDP.

All of that being said, I will grant that Gsync is the best solution from a technical perspective. I merely just don't think it is that much better then Freesync to warrant the significantly higher price tag. Gsync exists for the ultra high end gamer who wants the best possible experience on his $1000 GPU. Freesync can give you a similar experience that is nearly on par, but that isn't Freesync biggest strength. The biggest strength of Freesync is in the midrange. Someone with a budget gaming computer can buy an RX 580 GPU and then get a cheap 1080p 75Hz Freesync display. They will gain 25% more refresh rate compared to the standard 60Hz, but they will also gain the smooth feeling of adaptive refresh rate (cheap Freesync displays typically have around a 45-75Hz range). The gamer with the RX 580 + budget 75Hz Freesync display isn't paying any more than someone with a 1060 + budget 1080p display but the Freesync setup gains a lot of smoothness compared to the 1060 setup.

#449110 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 23 May 2018 - 08:56 AM in General

Starcraft will probably always be one of the my favourites. Starcraft 2 and its 2 expansions were some of my top played Mac games

#449109 Introducing Speedcat (New Feral rep)

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 23 May 2018 - 08:51 AM in Off-Topic

Greetings speedcat. Let me put you to work right away:

Can you tell the powers that be to port Age of Empires II HD Edition to Mac? The Mac version of Age of Empires 2 stopped working years ago (was originally developed for PPC) :(

The HD remake of the game on windows has a pretty healthy player base and since the game is quite old it would actually run well on pretty much every Mac.

#449101 Razer releases entry-level eGPU $299 eGPU enclosure with macOS support

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 22 May 2018 - 05:47 PM in IMG News Discussion

If you are planning on going with RX 580 / 1060 or below then you don't really lose anything by being stuck on AMD. The 580 and 1060 are pretty much identical. Going much higher then that probably isn't very worth it on an eGPU due to the limited bandwidth, but I'm just speculating.

#449098 Razer releases entry-level eGPU $299 eGPU enclosure with macOS support

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 22 May 2018 - 01:48 PM in IMG News Discussion

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 22 May 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

I wonder when Nvidia is going to come out of the closet with some proper macOS support again.

in the eGPU.io review they mention a script that they run in order to use Nvidia GPUs. They tested with a 1070 and it gave good performance.

#449095 Razer releases entry-level eGPU $299 eGPU enclosure with macOS support

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 22 May 2018 - 10:09 AM in IMG News Discussion

Razer has announced the Core X, a new entry-level eGPU enclosure which is compatible with Macs with a Thunderbolt 3 port. It is available for purchase from their website.

Give your thin and light laptop the power of a full gaming rig. Whether you’re hunting down enemies in an apocalypse or designing your own 3D world, the Razer Core X delivers desktop-class graphics to your laptop instantly. Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 Windows 10 or Mac laptops …

Quick specs of the enclosure:
  • $299 USD price tag
  • 650 Watt power supply (large enough to power even the most power hungry cards such as a AMD Vega 64 or Nvidia Titan Xp)
  • Official support for both macOS and Windows 10
Review of the enclosure by eGPU.io

What makes this enclosure interesting is that I believe this is the first enclosure to natively support both macOS and Windows 10.

#449069 John Carmack on Steve Jobs

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 16 May 2018 - 09:35 AM in General

The point about Steve not really caring for games and wishing they had less importance was interesting. Definitely makes sense when you consider how little Apple has cared about gaming for the past decades.

In hindsight, it seems like Apple really missed the boat on that. Apple was very focused on marketing towards creative professionals and 'non-business' types (The old "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads always hinted that 'boring' PC's were really only good for spreadsheets and tax calculations). It seems like gaming would have also been a perfect fit to go right a long with that "Mac = creativitiy and fun" message. Look at the cult following that something like the PC Master Race has. Definitely similar in feel to the cult following that Apple has had for decades.

Gaming is something that makes you love your device, but also want to upgrade it to the newest device for the best graphics. Best of both worlds for Apple. Real shame that they decided they weren't interested in the slightest in that market.

#449030 Steam Link coming to iOS and tvOS

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 10 May 2018 - 11:57 AM in General

View PostCougar, on 10 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

For those of you wanting to buy an AppleTV controller, I think you'd be better off just buying a Steam Link so you can use a real console controller. Valve practically gives them away during Steam sales these days.

To me not having an additional device that I have to change inputs for is worth paying for the appletv controller. AppleTV is already the main TV input for Netflix/Plex/Sports and my Apple TV remote controls the TV+Speakers as well.

The SteamLink's are quite cheap though. Definitely a good option for some people. I've seen them on sale for as low as $20 or so.

#449025 Steam Link coming to iOS and tvOS

Posted by Sneaky Snake on 10 May 2018 - 07:59 AM in General

I'm also interested in picking up a controller for my Apple TV upon hearing this.

90% of the time I will still be gaming at my desk, but sometimes I just want to lay on my couch and play a casual game.