Jump to content


Transfer photos to iPad Air (iOS 8.3) from Snow Leopard


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3739 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

You agressive tiger!! Now go to your litter box and think about what you've done!

Posted Image
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17317 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

Doggone it!

Attached File  girl-face-and-a-dog.jpg   148.77K   8 downloads
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2152 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:36 PM

Personally, at least for Photos, i switched to Google Photos.  

Works on iOS, works on my Android phone, works on my Mac.  Works on my Chromebook.   Works on a potato.  

Free endless storage at good quality.  

Cheaper than iCloud space if you want to store them at RAW quality.  

I also just downloaded the Google Music uploader for OSX... and uploaded my entire iTunes library to Google Music.  So now i can use it on my phone.  Or my Chromebook.  Or that potato we mentioned earlier.  And it doesn't cost me a lot of money to access the stuff i own, or try to match them with iTunes' version of the file when i dont want it to.  

For me, Apple is just straight up losing the cloud/syncing war (well, has already lost it).  Its easier, works on more stuff, and the quality is just as good.  Cheaper (usually free), too.

#24 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

    Master Blaster

  • IMG Writers
  • 2432 posts
  • Location:Holland, PA; US
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 07 July 2017 - 11:36 PM, said:

And it doesn't cost me a lot of money to access the stuff i own, or try to match them with iTunes' version of the file when i dont want it to.  

For me, Apple is just straight up losing the cloud/syncing war (well, has already lost it).  Its easier, works on more stuff, and the quality is just as good.  Cheaper (usually free), too.

Google's cost for All Access music is the same as Apple's subscription, and I can get a 15-20% discount on Apple Music quite easily. The downside is Apple Music not always delivering the exact track due to their goofy matching algorithm, as you mentioned. It doesn't impact my collection all that much, I've mostly got studio albums, but for some collections its completely unusable.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#25 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3739 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 07 July 2017 - 11:36 PM, said:

Personally, at least for Photos, i switched to Google Photos.  

Works on iOS, works on my Android phone, works on my Mac.  Works on my Chromebook.   Works on a potato.  

Free endless storage at good quality.  

Cheaper than iCloud space if you want to store them at RAW quality.  

I also just downloaded the Google Music uploader for OSX... and uploaded my entire iTunes library to Google Music.  So now i can use it on my phone.  Or my Chromebook.  Or that potato we mentioned earlier.  And it doesn't cost me a lot of money to access the stuff i own, or try to match them with iTunes' version of the file when i dont want it to.  

For me, Apple is just straight up losing the cloud/syncing war (well, has already lost it).  Its easier, works on more stuff, and the quality is just as good.  Cheaper (usually free), too.
But Google also has rights to use your images in whatever material they want. Apple don't.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17317 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 08 July 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

But Google also has rights to use your images in whatever material they want. Apple don't.

Which means google is looking through your images to find what they want, you are marketable information to them.  Ones lack of privacy is the price for "free services".  Google must make money off of you or they couldn't provide the services that they do.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2152 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 July 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

Which means google is looking through your images to find what they want, you are marketable information to them.  Ones lack of privacy is the price for "free services".  Google must make money off of you or they couldn't provide the services that they do.

Yes and?  Do you use Facebook?  Do you post anything online anywhere?  

Also, read the fine print:

Quote

  • We will ask for your consent before using information for a purpose other than those that are set out in this Privacy Policy.

Part of what makes Google work in general is that they look through everything.  It makes Google Photos work quite a bit better at a lot of the things it does.  Same way going through my email means that my flight info just shows up on my calendar, including what gate i need to be at and a convenient link to my ticket if i need it.  

Its also how Google knows what route i take home, when to warn me not to take that route, et al.  

Ive long ago become accustomed to the internet knowing everything.  If you want privacy, you cant be on the internet.  

And it's not like im putting nudes on there.  

A) no one wants to see that (even me)
and
B) those are for Fetlife.  =P

Also, for Google Music at least, as long as you can put up with one sixty second set of commercials every half hour.... its free.  I dont really mind.  If the commercials were more pervasive, maybe i'd care.  But they aren't.

#28 Frost

Frost

    Secretary of Offense

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6045 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Location:Republic of Texas
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 08 July 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Ive long ago become accustomed to the internet knowing everything.  If you want privacy, you cant be on the internet.  

Case in point my being questioned under oath about my posts on this forum dating back to I think 2009.

What's up, Lien? Are you still watching?
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17317 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

I'm not looking for privacy on the internet as that is obviously not where to find it.  Nor do I participate in the google universe, facebook, tweet or any of that social media popsnizzle.  What I do and say here is for everybody everywhere so I don't care if they pick it apart and sell it.  I only recently got a cell phone but I keep it off until I need it, which is almost never, it's only for emergencies.  I'm not trying to live off the grid, but then again I'm not trying to live on it.  

All this online interconnectivity is how most of you grew up.  I grew up in an age when everybody had a TV (we got one when I was about 6) and a Bell telephone, that was our internet and social media.  It pretty much is that for me now but I do look for info I need on the Internet, it's ace for that.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

    Master Blaster

  • IMG Writers
  • 2432 posts
  • Location:Holland, PA; US
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

> Ive long ago become accustomed to the internet knowing everything.  If you want privacy, you cant be on the internet.

Society is getting more transparent and maybe the best we can hope for is to have the same visibility over those in power that they have over us. So I understand that privacy is almost impossible these days. But there are some concrete reasons to still want it.

For instance: services aren't free when they takes up more of my time. All those ad trackers that make pages slow to load, ads that cover what I'm trying to read, websites that make me click 10 times just so they can serve me more ads on a single article. User preferences that deliberately make it hard for people to control their privacy settings. These things piss me off. We're being nickel-and-dimed out of time, which is a limited commodity.

Plus, if a company's business model is built around them knowing more and more about me, sooner or later they (or someone who works for them) will abuse it in small or big ways, if they can make more money by doing so. So I appreciate companies whose business model doesn't encourage them to find new ways to spend my time, or sell my data.

I'm not an absolutist about this, I use some Google products, but it does factor into my decisions.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#31 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3272 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

Google Photos is great, but I always have this nagging feeling that I'm going to hate myself for using it in like 15 years due to the quality downgrade from their free tier. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 6600K @ 4.6 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || RX 480 8GB (mining) || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 850 Evo M.2 Sata, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Accessories: 28" 4K FreeSync Monitor || PS4 Pro || QNAP TS-228 NAS (2x 6 TB Seagte IronWolf) || iPhone 6S 64GB