213 replies to this topic

#201 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:09 AM

It's odd but it always works for me. Play the opening videos of the game found in Borderlands3>OakGame>Content>Movies (first 3 files) from the Finder just using Quick Look (Spacebar default) and they end up playing smoothly after launching the game.

imgur.com/a/YyASYRC
macOS 10.14.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#202 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:51 AM

Alright. Post update demo run (definite improvement, and it ran smoothly instead of chunking along every time something loaded into the scene);

BenchmarkResults 2019-11-26_02-16-26
- FramesPerSecondAvg:   70.12
- FrameTimeMsAvg:   14.26

- Version: 18G1012
GraphicsAPI: Metal
CPU: GenericCPUBrand
- PhysicalCores:    6
- LogicalCores: 12
RAM: 65536.00 MB
GPU: AMD Radeon VII
- VRAM: 16368 / 0 / 0 MB (Dedicated / System / Shared)
- DriverVersion:    AMDRadeonX5000 2.11.21 21406 (Internal: 2.11.21, Unified: 2.11.21)
- DriverDate:   2019-10-24 11:06:41 +0000
ScreenResolution:    2560x1440
RenderResolution:    2560x1440
ScreenPercentage:    100
HDR: Off

GameUserSettings
- FullscreenMode: WindowedFullscreen
- UseVSync: 0
- PreferredMonitor:
- bPrimaryIsPreferredMonitor: 1
- PreferredRefreshRate: 0
- StatsLevel: 0
- FPSLimit: Capped60FPS
- FPSLimitCustom: 144
- GfxQuality-Override: Undefined
- GfxQuality-Recommended: Low
- GfxQuality: High
- TextureStreaming: Ultra
- MaterialQuality: Medium
- Aniso: SixteenX
- Shadows: Ultra
- DrawDistance: Medium
- EnvironmentDetail: Ultra
- Terrain: Ultra
- Foliage: Ultra
- CharDetail: Ultra
- CAS: 1
- CameraBlur: 0
- ObjectBlur: 0
- AA: Temporal
- VolumetricFog: Medium
- SSR: High
- AO: Ultra

(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

#203 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2833 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

Very interesting. I'd come to opposite conclusion - little to no improvement in gameplay. Had some good sessions, some mediocre sessions. Just now I got a crash while loading a level, and when I clicked Submit the crash reporter itself stopped responding. :angry:

Despite this I am still enjoying the game well enough, but I sure could be enjoying it a lot more.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#204 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4174 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:16 AM

How is the story compared to BL2?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#205 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2833 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

The story is pretty good. I'm enjoying it more than Pre-Sequel. Not nearly as fun or funny as BL2, but then what is?

The villains running things in this one are just plain annoying most of the time. (They are supposed to be, of course, but unlike Handsome Jack they are too aware of their own nastiness.) There are some fun cameos from previous games, and some decent new characters.

The free content that was added for Halloween is still active for a few more days and I've run through it a few times already to beef up my levels. I'll kind of be glad when its over though - after killing some badasses I sometimes have about 10 seconds to kill a badass ghost as well, and the ghost has occasionally killed me without any other enemies nearby to get a second wind from.

I like the dual-elemental weapons, the 3d cues on the map, the cars that are basically one giant wheel, and the ability to hijack vehicles to unlock new styles and abilities. And I especially like the ability to Fast Travel from almost anywhere to your vehicle, or to any Fast Travel station you've previously encountered.

So there's a lot to like. It's already gone on sale for $40 so keep that in mind before paying $60.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#206 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4174 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:53 PM

Jack was very much aware of his nastyness, he just chose to ignore it.

Jack was awesome. BL3 can never live up to him, so I expect to find it a bit meh unfortunately.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#207 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

I'm having more fun than I remember having in Borderlands. After a few hours I uninstalled BL2 and BL:TPS, only the former I'd actually finished (before the HD update), the latter I found somewhat boring. The locales and gameplay mechanics alone are enough improvements to convince me that I'd miss them if I started playing the older titles again. I'm really digging the graphics, lighting effects and smaller nuances like seeing sand blow around in areas where there's sand (no, it looks really good) when I glance down.

#208 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2833 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:44 PM

Just got an email from Epic about the FPS issue I reported. I'm supposed to reset my PRAM, SMC, and clear Epic's cache. If that doesn't solve the issue I can try reinstalling the game. Then if it still happens, would I please send them a video of the problem?

I guess I don't blame them completely- they are probably getting thousands of reports of varying quality. But we've already reproduced this issue for them on 2 different platforms. I'd hoped that might be enough to get it past ltriage.
www.mindthecube.com

#209 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4174 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 27 November 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

I'm having more fun than I remember having in Borderlands. After a few hours I uninstalled BL2 and BL:TPS, only the former I'd actually finished (before the HD update), the latter I found somewhat boring.
Wow. I found BL2 to have the best baddie ever, and a really great story. TPS was a bit meh though.

#210 strangemax

strangemax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:15 AM

Is it just me or is BL3 a horrible port? It's practically unplayable on my 16" MacBook even at low settings. We got a new Mac Pro today to play around with so I figured, hey BL3 is got to run sweet on this thing! Nope. Ugh

#211 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1688 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted Yesterday, 09:54 AM

View Poststrangemax, on 13 December 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Is it just me or is BL3 a horrible port? It's practically unplayable on my 16" MacBook even at low settings. We got a new Mac Pro today to play around with so I figured, hey BL3 is got to run sweet on this thing! Nope. Ugh

TBF...the base graphics card in the Mac Pro came out in 2017. :rolleyes:

Not to hijack the thread, but how are you liking the 16 otherwise?

#212 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Make sure you are playing at a halved resolution not the native retina resolution. 4k is rough on the best of cards. IME BL3 defaulted to the native display resolution instead of a more reasonable subset. Well done ports tend to do this automatically. Even the Sims 4 defaulted to an appropriate halved resolution on my iMac.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#213 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted Yesterday, 12:42 PM

I agree it is a horrible port. My 2012 MBP with Thunderbolt 1 plays much much better (admittedly not perfect though) in Windows with the same eGPU (Vega 56) than it does on a 2018 MBP with Thunderbolt 3 and the same eGPU

I'd have to check the results, but I think the direct Mac/Windows benchmarks on the same 2012 MBP with Thunderbolt 1 and Vega 56 eGPU are something like ~15 FPS (Mac) vs ~55 FPS (Windows) with the same settings and resolution

#214 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:51 PM

Super smooth for me. Unfortunately the minimum system requirements are lower for the Windows version too (i5 as opposed to the i7 required for macOS).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Borderlands, Three, Guns Guns Guns