• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:51 AM

Good news everyone! John Gruber gets the scoop from Cupertino.

"Apple is currently hard at work on a “completely rethought” Mac Pro, with a modular design that can accommodate high-end CPUs and big honking hot-running GPUs, and which should make it easier for Apple to update with new components on a regular basis. They’re also working on Apple-branded pro displays to go with them."
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#42 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

View Postnick68k, on 04 April 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

"Apple is currently hard at work on a “completely rethought” Mac Pro, with a modular design that can accommodate high-end CPUs and big honking hot-running GPUs, and which should make it easier for Apple to update with new components on a regular basis. They’re also working on Apple-branded pro displays to go with them."

So, bringing back the cheese grater. :teehee:

Which, you know, were super functional and pros loved them.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#43 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8030 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

…well, for 2018 at the earliest. Still a pleasant surprise. Even more pleasant is that Phil Schiller actually admitted that they made a mistake with the trashcan Mac Pro.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#44 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Okay Apple. What I'm getting from this is no new iMac until later this year which since its April says to me no new iMac this spring, and since you didn't announce it now and allow pre-orders, says that you probably have nothing solid to show yet, so no iMac this Summer. So Fall or Early Winter.

No new Mac pro for even longer then that.

And god forbid you might want a mac mini to tied you over till one of those two machines gets released because we kind of forgot the mac mini existed.

Yeah my iMac is 5 years and one month old no biggie it'll last till then, right? :unsure:

#45 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

View PostRGoulder, on 04 April 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

Yeah my iMac is 5 years and one month old no biggie it'll last till then, right? :unsure:

My Mac Pro is an '08 :teehee:. Seen a few upgrades. A damn workhorse.

I have been holding out for Mini updates to replace it as daily driver. Will retire it for server/kids/audio/etc... when I update.

This gives me hope for new useful Pro's and Mini's. It's looking likely we may not see them in 2017 but 2018 might be a belt busting year for the Mac.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17293 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

This news probably came too late for me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 April 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

This news probably came too late for me.

To be honest I'm not in the Pro market. But I'm very pleased that Apple have finally, sorta addressed this issue.

And, bonus, we can reconvene in 2022 and complain about how the Pro has been ignored for four years.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#48 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8030 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostRGoulder, on 04 April 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

No new Mac pro for even longer then that.
Technically, there are new (updated) Mac Pros, but in fact no new new Mac Pros.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#49 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

And when asked what Apple's philosophy on external GPUs is, Federighi replied "I think they have a place."

A more positive response then I would have thought.Hopefully Apple will keep learning from their mistakes.

#50 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:55 AM

Internal or external GPUs are fine by me - just make them upgradable and not louder than the in game audio.

Macs have rarely been cheap but were often good value when you got several years out of them.

I have a hard time justifying something where I know I'll be unhappy with the GPU performance within a year or two and would have to replace the whole machine to do anything about it.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, GTX680 4GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.4

#51 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3731 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

I've been very satisfied with the Radeon 6970M 2GB in my 2011 iMac. Sure, it died on me recently, but a reflow fixed that. But I don't think I could ever buy a computer that was GPU unupgradeable again. Especially with VR around the corner.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#52 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

VR has been just around the corner since the early 90s.

#53 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

You just never know what tech will take off or not (can be part of the fascination) but the point is when you are spending that kind of money you just want to have the option of being able to adapt.

It's not like iOS devices where the hardware is far cheaper and despite it (the hardware) being fixed you know with confidence you won't miss out on much for a good few releases which makes good value.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, GTX680 4GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.4

#54 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3731 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 April 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

VR has been just around the corner since the early 90s.
This time Ive actually tried it and seen what it can do, and been satisfied with it. (Oculus Rift)

My only other experience was back when I was 14, at a local tivoli. They had some multiplayer laser fights with VR helmets, where everyone looked like Duke Nukem. It was really weird and likely a copyright infringement. And i think the VR headset had a resolution at about 40x40 pixels.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#55 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 05 April 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

This time Ive actually tried it and seen what it can do, and been satisfied with it. (Oculus Rift)

My only other experience was back when I was 14, at a local tivoli. They had some multiplayer laser fights with VR helmets, where everyone looked like Duke Nukem. It was really weird and likely a copyright infringement. And i think the VR headset had a resolution at about 40x40 pixels.

You played that too! I swear when i was a kid I played duke nukem in VR in Wisconsin Dells but have never been able to find any information that it was ever a thing. It totally makes sense that maybe it was just grey area "we stole the sprites" for VR kiosks. It was like a standing thing and you paid a few bucks to play for 2 minutes. I very vividly remember it was duke.

#56 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

Okay, so now we all know that you two did inhale-- a lot!

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#57 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3731 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:22 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 April 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

You played that too! I swear when i was a kid I played duke nukem in VR in Wisconsin Dells but have never been able to find any information that it was ever a thing. It totally makes sense that maybe it was just grey area "we stole the sprites" for VR kiosks. It was like a standing thing and you paid a few bucks to play for 2 minutes. I very vividly remember it was duke.
I was starting to think it was just an old dream, but I guess not! :D It was a new experience, but I do recall thinking it wasn't worth the money for what it is. The gameplay time was way too short.