Any solutions to Shift + Scroll messing up game binds?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dviant

dviant

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

Wow, been a long time since I've posted here, but my user/pass still works! Happy to see it still going.

Anyway, my issue is this. From what I can tell, OS X treats Shift+Scroll differently that just plain Scroll. Most games don't recognize the Shift+Scroll and won't even let you bind it, which is a problem given that Left Shift is pretty much the default sprint toggle for everything under sun. I know I could just change my sprint bind, but years of muscle memory make me very resistant to that, and I see it as more of a system issue than a game issue.

So does anyone have a way prevent OS X from modifying the scroll output with Shift pressed? Any terminal commands that could help?

I'm playing Destiny 2 on Stadia, in Chrome, with a Logitech Pro mouse if that helps.

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4495 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:51 AM

Really?

Shift-scroll is a modifier of scroll, to scroll horizontally. This is the same as on Windows too. So, if shift+scroll is actually turning into some new magical signal on Mac........ thats a new one. And odd! No idea how to get around it.

Its about the same as if you have a binding for "shift-f" in a game along with just "f" When you are running and you try to tap "f" (like to toss a grenade)... it won't since "shift-f" is bound differently. I guess thats the same thing you are running into with running and then trying to scroll your wheel for some action.

You sure its not something screwy with Destiny2 only? I've personally never run into any issues with shift and scroller normally (but then I rarely ever use scrollwheel in games cause its so fiddly at best LOL!!!).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4567 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

I can't even get it to work on my new work machine. It is really annoying, because it is so useful!
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:54 PM

I wonder if it is mouse-specific. I can't get shift-scroll to do anything with my Anker wireless mouse. I just get normal scrolling. Therefore, I expect them to be separately bindable in games. I could probably verify that..

update: verified that mouse wheel works in Overload both with and without Shift key held down.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4567 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:46 PM

I am running a Logitech MX513, and it is working just fine on my two other Macs with the same mouse, so I am wondering where the issue lies.. I run USB Overdrive on all of them too.

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:21 AM

What version OS, and what mouse?

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#7 Atticus

Atticus

Not Wearing Pants

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

Shift + wheel side scrolling works on 11.3 with my Steel Series Rival. Is magic?
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4495 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 30 April 2021 - 01:48 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 30 April 2021 - 06:21 AM, said:

I get it working on my 10.14 mac, with a crappy old opti-logitech B100 lol ... also on *ahem* win10 with a razer *cough* who stunk up the place?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • 4567 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 11:26 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 30 April 2021 - 06:21 AM, said:

Newest macOS on the newest 27” iMac, a simple Logitech MX513.

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:24 PM

Sorry,I wasn't clear: since noone else can repro the problem we would need the original poster's mouse & OS.

www.mindthecube.com