#1 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:01 AM

Cyan has a way of making me feel financially irresponsible. Last year I shelled out for the Myst Linking book + Inkwell for their 25th anniversary, and I am forking over a similar amount again.

This time it's Firmament, which you may remember was a proof of concept they demoed a while back hoping to get investors. I am guessing that didn't work out?

Given Cyan's Mac history I'm a bit sad that I've had to post this here, but understandable given they're asking for the same amount as Obduction, and they're building it for VR/PC from the get-go...I guess something had to give. Obduction also had a lot of performance issues with UE4 on the Mac.

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2211 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:34 AM

No Mac version so easy financial decision for me to not back it.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:11 PM

They gave a vague “we’re looking into it” note in their latest update:

Mac Version? - This Kickstarter is focused on getting Firmament developed and released first and foremost on PC and VR. We're committed to Virtual Reality's future possibilities. At this stage, PC is the platform that best supports VR development. While this is our current focus, we remember who helped us get started and who continues to offer their support every day: the Mac community. With the help of our industry contacts, we're looking everyday at ways to initiate and support the development of Firmament for mac OS. As we learn more we'll bring you news about it in future updates here in Kickstarter. Please don’t let this stop you in supporting Firmament. We are turning to our fans to help develop the game first and foremost. Without your funding Firmament will not be developed for any platform.

Still wouldn’t back it unless you can live with Bootcamp.

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:23 PM

Another Mac update: They're promising a Mac version at 1.4m, but that's quite a stretch...goal.

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2706 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:19 AM

You know what? I'm in.

My expectations for the Mac version are low. Mac has no VR to speak of, even though Apple is pushing it to be a good platform to _develop_ VR on. For the consumer, Apple seems only to care about AR on iOS. So it seems like all we can expect is the non-VR version of Firmament.

This could be viewed as an opportunity for Apple. Many people bought CD-ROM drives just to play th Guest; Myst similarly pushed computer upgrades. Firmament VR on Mac might help get us past the chicken-and-egg problem of no Mac VR games, plus no Mac users with VR equipment.

So if I were Apple, I would reach out to Cyan to make sure this port happened. Give them equipment, loan them expertise, whatever. I would even try to get Firmament into Apple's game service (yes, I know this would break the rule laid down that everything on the service must run on both iOS and Mac. Screw that rule!)

Since Apple isn't likely to do any of this, I'll just have to put my money where my mouth is. Worse comes to worst I'll gift the PC license to someone.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8376 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

What the hell is up with VR on Macs anyway? Considering all the hype Apple made about VR coming to macOS more than two years ago at the WWDC, there has been very little development since then. There still are no publicly available drivers for headsets, none of the headset manufacturers officially supports macOS, and there isn't a single piece of software supporting VR available for Mac.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2706 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 April 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

there isn't a single piece of software supporting VR available for Mac.
Wrong! ... On a technicality. According to this website there are two: https://www.vronmac.com

(Looks like that website was created in anticipation of getting in on the ground floor of a brave new world, and now it is mostly well-written articles all saying the same thing: nothing happening.)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:28 AM

Apparently Rand said on the livestream yesterday that even if they don’t make the Mac stretch goal, they will still try to get a Mac version done.

IMO we’ll be lucky if this thing gets funded at all....fingers crossed.

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:24 PM

...aand my pessimism proves fruitful. Goal met with 27 hours to go. Plenty of time to reach the Mac stretch goal....

In the latest post they also say: “we’ve decided to commit to find a way to make up any shortfall, so we can guarantee Firmament for Mac, PS4, and EFIGS.” So, can a mod move this out of the Windows forum?

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2211 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:08 PM

I'm backing and holding Cougar personally responsible if a Mac version never materializes.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD