#101 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3088 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 17 November 2020 - 04:35 AM, said:

Is there a way that I can easily see which games are 64 bit compatible on GOG?

There isn't even a difficult way to do it, either in the store or in your library.

One trick (in your library) is to look for games that were updated recently. For example I can see there was a recent update to Grim Fandango Remastered, and it's probably the patch that made it 64-bit. But as Janischan pointed out in another thread, the changelog may not mention 64-bit even though it now is. (To see a game's changelog, click on it in your library, then look in the More menu.)

Games in my library also have a 64-bit tag, but I cannot recall if I created it or GOG. Either way, I know there are 64-bit games in my library that don't have the tag set properly.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#102 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4452 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:31 AM

Man, that's so tedious. :( I upvoted the feature on their forums, that requests a 64 bit label of some kind, but I don't think we'll get it anytime soon..
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#103 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 536 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:57 PM

TEK, I learnt all my Danish (i.e none) from watching Borgen and Forbrydelsen. From your spreadsheet, what is the meaning of 'fjernet'?
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#104 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3088 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:13 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 17 November 2020 - 11:31 AM, said:

I upvoted the feature on their forums, that requests a 64 bit label of some kind, but I don't think we'll get it anytime soon..
Good idea. For anyone who want to play along at home, here are 64-bit related feature requests you can vote on:
https://www.gog.com/...e#search=64-bit

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#105 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4452 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:41 AM

View Postnick68k, on 17 November 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

TEK, I learnt all my Danish (i.e none) from watching Borgen and Forbrydelsen. From your spreadsheet, what is the meaning of 'fjernet'?
It means “removed”, as in removed from the store due to licensing issues I guess.

#106 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:12 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 17 November 2020 - 10:47 AM, said:

To see a game's changelog, click on it in your library, then look in the More menu.

Thank you very much. I've been wondering how to do this for quite some time now.

#107 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4452 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:23 AM

I went through the first 25 games in my GOG list. About half had change logs, and zero of those had any mention of 64 bit, or Catalina.. *Sigh*

Seems like the only way is to install them on my Big Sur Macbook, and then see which ones can be launched.. >_<

#108 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:40 PM

So over the past two days, I spent a few hours figuring out how to install Mojave on VirtualBox on my 2017 iMac so that I can run Borderlands GOTY and a few other 32-bit apps I still have, like Batman: Arkham Asylum, Bioshock 1 and 2, Fallout, and The Witcher 1 and 2.  I haven't yet upgraded my OS beyond Mojave, but now I'm asking myself if it's actually worth trying to play those games on a VM.  I have an external SSD so maybe it's better to install Mojave on that to run the games off that (though I think I've heard that you're throttled by the connection between the SSD and the iMac so maybe that's a less-than-optimal solution too).  Any thoughts/opinions?

#109 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:09 AM

Booting from the external SSD will be waaaayy better. VMs and 3D doesn't mix too well.

#110 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3088 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:36 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 23 November 2020 - 07:09 AM, said:

Booting from the external SSD will be waaaayy better. VMs and 3D doesn't mix too well.
Definitely. If a game is not too demanding it can work in VM, especially if its older or a genre where the framerate isn't as critical. I wouldn't include Borderlands and Bioshock in that category. (Not sure about the Witchers.)

Consider trying VMWare Fusion, since its now free for personal use. I think it will work better for 3D than VirtualBox. The latest version even works with eGPUs.

www.mindthecube.com

#111 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:32 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 November 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

Definitely. If a game is not too demanding it can work in VM, especially if its older or a genre where the framerate isn't as critical. I wouldn't include Borderlands and Bioshock in that category. (Not sure about the Witchers.)

Consider trying VMWare Fusion, since its now free for personal use. I think it will work better for 3D than VirtualBox. The latest version even works with eGPUs.
Thanks (and to Camper-Hunter, too).  As the Mojave installation was going forward in VirtualBox, the mouse response was so laggy, I began to realize that I might have wasted all that time I spent setting up that VM.  I will probably just go with installing Mojave on my external drive (which is mostly why I bought it in the first place) and copying those 32-bit games over there.