MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:06 AM

I looks like https://support.raze...cles/1657604171 Razer is dropping macOS software support for it's products starting with Catalina.

I discovered this after talking to support about kernel panic cause by their kext.

#2 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:45 AM

Recently bought a DeathAdder Elite for $25. Pretty good gaming mouse, not better than the Logitech G403, but I saw how and where files were getting installed in Catalina and I uninstalled it. Since it installed as a system extension it was a PIA to remove (didn't know there was an Uninstaller installed in /Applications/Utilities upon installation. Had to hunt down the directories and sudo rm -r

FWIW it works pretty damned well without their software but, given this update on their 'support' I won't be purchasing any more of their stuff. I hate Logitech's software and wouldn't install it either (because their firmware update on my G403 crippled the side buttons!).
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

macOS 10.15.x/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2339 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:15 AM

LOL at input accessories requiring a fraking kernel level driver in 2020.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

I bought that same Deathadder deal, because I wanted another mouse for work (I like using the same input devices everywhereóIím not gaming at work. ;)

Was disappointed to discover that unlike the 2013, the Elite doesnít have onboard memory. So you have to keep their stupid software running just to disable the ugly green light. Itís literally the only thing I use the software for. Fortunately, itís still working in Catalina for me, though I havenít actually tried launching the app.

So I might have to switch to Logitech in the future. What is the state of their RGB? Can you turn it off without their terrible software?

Why is it so hard to find a good gaming mouse these days without terrible software that isnít ugly as sin?

#5 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:26 AM

Don't expect much different from Logitech's camp—you need the software to disable the breathing rainbow soul imprisoned within. If you want a gaming mouse that allows all settings to be changed via the hardware (albeit in a nigh obfuscated manner depending on what you want to accomplish as it requires pressing button combos simultaneously) you might want to consider a Model-O, D or O- from PC Gaming Race. I have the Model-O but it's too damned small for my hands. I see there's a new Model-D with more of an ergonomic hump like the DeathAdder and G403 have but I've recently spent way too much on computer crap.

Were I in the market for a gaming mouse now where I don't have to worry about crap software support to be able to use [all of] its features I'd probably get a Model-D. I also have a BenQ 'Zowie' EC1-A but its sloping down button shapes for LMB/RMB don't mix with my gun game style, but there's no lights at least.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII

(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:43 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 31 January 2020 - 04:26 AM, said:

If you want a gaming mouse that allows all settings to be changed via the hardware (albeit in a nigh obfuscated manner depending on what you want to accomplish as it requires pressing button combos simultaneously) you might want to consider a Model-O, D or O- from PC Gaming Race.

Thanks for the recommendation, but the fact that a company branded themselves around such a dumb meme boggles my mind. I wouldnít mind so much if they hadnít plastered their ugly logo on the side of the mouse.

I donít mind software-only control as long as the mouse has memory so I can delete the software and retain the settings.

The Zowie doesnít look too bad. Would be better if the logo was white, not red.

#7 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:45 PM

Besides the shape of the buttons, a major caveat with the Zowie is the scroll wheel. Imagine trying to read a book, but you have to turn the pages with gloves on. It's loud, slow and like trying to run in a nightmare—it's a horrible feeling. There's actually YouTube videos about how to mod this horrible design to silence it.

Posted Image

And as for the Logitech, and it's a real pisser, there's onboard memory (hooray?) but a firmware update renders the mouse4, mouse5 buttons to default to Back/Forward buttons for web browsing. They can be reassigned—but only through their software! Uninstall the software and the buttons will only function as Back/Forward buttons and in rare cases those can't be assigned in-game (like RAGE).

#8 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:08 AM

I'm just using an old-fashioned Logitech G5 for gaming. It's a gaming mouse with the simplest design ever. It has just the basic buttons and there are no flashing lights or whatever. No software is needed, because the mouse doesn't do anything else than just simple mousing. There's a button the change the DPI, but that's it. I don't need many buttons on my mouse, as I don't use anything else than the left and right mouse-button and the scroll-wheel in games. It's not wireless, but still has an old-fashioned USB-cable, so there are no batteries making the mouse extremely lightweight (these mice actually come with weights that you can insert, but I want my mouse to be as light as possible). When it comes to mice I just want them to be as simplistic as possible. No nonsense, but just a basic mouse that allows me to increase the DPI, because I want very fast movement speed in games.

Posted Image

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

View Postjos, on 01 February 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

I'm just using an old-fashioned Logitech G5 for gaming. It's a gaming mouse with the simplest design ever. It has just the basic buttons and there are no flashing lights or whatever. No software is needed, because the mouse doesn't do anything else than just simple mousing. There's a button the change the DPI, but that's it. I don't need many buttons on my mouse, as I don't use anything else than the left and right mouse-button and the scroll-wheel in games.

Nice. Iíll probably get the MX518 with the same design if macOS breaks my Deathadders. I had one for years, and Iíd forgotten they revived it.

#10 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4264 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:42 AM

I got two 518s. Awesome mouse. They just need USB-C now, or Bluetooth.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#11 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 01 February 2020 - 09:42 AM, said:

I got two 518s. Awesome mouse. They just need USB-C now, or Bluetooth.

True. I'm using a USB > USB-C dongle/converter. Having USB-C out-of-the-box would certainly be nice.

#12 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:41 PM

I just got a message that my Razer kext will break in a future version of macOS. So even though it works fine in Catalina, it's definitely on life support.

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8522 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

Yeah, kexts are being phased out completely. Apple has a new API for USB hardware drivers, though. So, if Razer's developers are up to it, they could write new drivers.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#14 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4264 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:51 PM

After having used my Logitech MX Anywhere 2S mouse some more, I've decided that Bluetooth mice are complete crap. Give me wired any day, so USB-C please.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#15 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:34 AM

Not to change the subject, but so are Bluetooth controllers. Iíve been trying Steam Link with my Apple TV and a good portion of the time my button presses just donít do anything. It would be unplayable for any non turn-based game.

I think Bluetooth just sucks in general. Which makes the magicalness of AirPods extra magical. They shouldnít work as well as they do.

#16 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

PS4 controllers work perfectly fine via Bluetooth on my Macs. Never problems. FWIW I hope you're at least using Steam Link via Ethernet.

#17 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

I've stuck with the Logitech models that use their unified USB dongle as I always hated the delay with bluetooth recognising the Apple mice and keyboards in the past so never went back to it. I never even used to bother with the Logitech software and just set mouse buttons and scrolling speed in the OS but I do have Logitech options installed now.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.14

#18 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:54 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 06 March 2020 - 10:27 AM, said:

PS4 controllers work perfectly fine via Bluetooth on my Macs. Never problems. FWIW I hope you're at least using Steam Link via Ethernet.

Yes, it's wired to my PC. The issue is not the network. I've also experienced controller wonkiness when using it with the PC.

#19 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:16 AM

No wonder those controllers and Steam Link are always on fire sale.

#20 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:40 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 07 March 2020 - 09:16 AM, said:

No wonder those controllers and Steam Link are always on fire sale.

Iím using an XB1 controller with the Apple TV app, not the Steam Link box.