4 replies to this topic

#1 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1004 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

I'm a little confused by the various Apple support documents on the new Blackmagic eGPU. It seems like it only provides acceleration for applications run on an external monitor?
Is there any benefit if you're trying to run an application (game) on the internal monitor of a MBP?  Is there a way to tell the MBP to use the external GPU for all functions?
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/High Sierra/Windows 10
Home: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/High Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1526 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:46 PM

Only internal GPUs can power internal monitors. There's kind of sort of a way around this, but it requires developers to add support for it and it would hurt performance. See "Internal Display" here: https://9to5mac.com/...-of-egpu-video/

#3 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1004 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:41 PM

Thanks. That was my impression, but some of the commentary on the Apple support site is confusing. It seems like there are a few hacks that might essentially fool the machine into thinking the internal monitor is actually external, but probably not worth the trouble and might crash with each OS update.
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/High Sierra/Windows 10
Home: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/High Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3356 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

Even if it works your performance is significantly worse compared to an external monitor. The reason being that the TB cable has limited bandwidth and if you have to pipe all of the display data back over the TB cable to your internal screen it uses up some of that precious bandwidth.

Internal Display data path: Computer -> TB cable -> eGPU -> TB cable -> Internal Display
External Display data path: Computer -> TB cable -> eGPU -> HDMI/DP -> External Display

Various benchmarks of eGPU's on Youtube (Razer Core for example) showcase this performance loss.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#5 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1004 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

The thing I find confusing is whether applications run on the internal screen of the MBP are themselves able to use the external GPU, regardless of whether the internal screen is accelerated or not? Perhaps my question just reflects my ignorance, but is the eGPU only able to accelerate applications that output through an external screen?