Homy's Content

There have been 85 items by Homy (Search limited from 16-July 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#453472 Cheap Mac Games

Posted by Homy on 03 July 2020 - 10:25 AM in General

75% off Bioshock Remastered on Steam

#453434 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by Homy on 28 June 2020 - 11:16 AM in General

View PostJanichsan, on 28 June 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

Also, the original BS2 already having been 64-bit didn't make the new version urgently necessary.

I have the latest version 1.3 from Steam and it's not 64-bit.

#453431 64-Bit compatibility topic

Posted by Homy on 28 June 2020 - 08:53 AM in General

Good news!
  • OpenGL is deprecated, but is available on Apple silicon.
  • OpenCL is deprecated, but is available on Apple silicon when targeting the GPU. The OpenCL CPU device is not available to arm64 apps.
https://developer.ap...o_apple_silicon

#453370 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by Homy on 25 June 2020 - 12:38 PM in General

View PostMrUNIMOG, on 25 June 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

I think that was a joke :teehee:

A smiley would have helped but yeah, it seemed strange to port the old Bioshock 2 to ARM. :)

#453365 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by Homy on 25 June 2020 - 08:36 AM in General

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 June 2020 - 01:03 AM, said:

Bob is Ferals first ARM port. That's why it moved.
How do you know that?

#453364 Rosetta 2 & Intel games

Posted by Homy on 25 June 2020 - 08:31 AM in General

View PostGotrek, on 24 June 2020 - 07:47 PM, said:

There are TWO keynotes the firsts day, the first aimed at the press / users and the second aimed at developers. Here is the link to the 2nd one:

https://developer.ap...y/wwdc2020/102/

Thanks! Looks promising.

#453349 Apple Plans to Announce Move to Its Own Chips at WWDC

Posted by Homy on 24 June 2020 - 08:31 PM in Mac Hardware

Don't underestimate ARM because it's a big family of CPUs and not only about mobile chips in iPhone.
Good news for future Macs: The fastest supercomputer uses Arm chips

#453347 Rosetta 2 & Intel games

Posted by Homy on 24 June 2020 - 06:14 PM in General

View Postjeannot, on 24 June 2020 - 12:31 PM, said:

They also demoed DiRT Rally under Rosetta 2.

But what about openGL games? Clearly, these ARM Macs still need to support openGL apps.

When did they demo DiRT Rally? It wasn't during the keynote. You're right about OpenGL. There are a few such games I want to be able to play on a new iMac, like Metro 2033 and Last Light Redux and Borderlands 2.

#453336 Rosetta 2 & Intel games

Posted by Homy on 24 June 2020 - 10:46 AM in General

I know it's early to start such a thread but Apple has now announced its transition to Apple Silicon (ARM) and the first AS Mac is here in a few month. We've been down this road before and the transition may happen faster than 2 years like it did the last time from PPC to Intel. The only game we've seen so far running in Rosetta 2 is Shadow of the Tomb Raider with rather low settings. I myself have a few games that I can't play on my current iMac 2011 and was hoping to play on a new Intel iMac but now I'm considering to jump directly to AS where the future lies. I guess we'll soon hear some news from the developers about this.

So let's make a list again of Intel games working in Rosetta 2 and post your findings here when the time is right.

#453312 Apple Plans to Announce Move to Its Own Chips at WWDC

Posted by Homy on 22 June 2020 - 02:21 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostSneaky Snake, on 22 June 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

One thing that I'm not super optimistic about is that they showed zero benchmarks of ARM optimized software. Ex: "watch Final Cut Pro render this scene twice as fast as the Intel Macbook Air". Apple loves throwing up the "X times faster" marketing for nearly everything so you'd think they would have done that if the performance increase was substantial. I'm really curious to know how fast Apple's A series architecture can be when coupled with a more laptop sized TDP and an active cooling solution. Imagine the A12Z with a 30W TDP and some copper heatpipes and a fan. It's already fast inside the passively cooled iPad. You could see running closer to 4GHz (instead of 2.5) and able to sustain the speed for extended periods of time during heavy workloads.

Because they're using a chip from 2018. It's not even A13. They're waiting for a finished product with A14 to present benchmarks.

View Postjeannot, on 22 June 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

I'm very skeptical that an A12Z GPU can run this game at 1080p (much less via some emulation), unless they used the lowest settings (hard to tell) and capped the game at 30 fps (hard to tell too, since the video is 30 fps).
It wasn't hard to tell. It didn't look sharp so it was low settings

#453306 Apple Plans to Announce Move to Its Own Chips at WWDC

Posted by Homy on 22 June 2020 - 01:08 PM in Mac Hardware

So the first ARM Macs are coming in 6 months and so are the new Intel Macs? I wasn't planning to replace my 2011 iMac yet but seeing the performance of Rosetta and A12Z I doubt I will buy any Intel Mac next. Maya, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and iOS games run directly. Tomb Raider didn't look to have high settings though in 1080p. I guess it's more work for the developers. Feral is busy bringing BioShock 2 Remastered to Catalina and now they must rewrite their catalog for ARM too?

#453267 16" Macbook Pro

Posted by Homy on 15 June 2020 - 04:03 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostSneaky Snake, on 15 June 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

Looks like it has the same 50W TDP as the current 5500M which my 16" MBP can adequately cool (it is hot and loud under full load, but it is able to sustain loads for hours without thermal throttling).

Full specs here on AMD's website: https://www.amd.com/...le-5000m-series

Those specs put it pretty much identical performance with a desktop 5500XT, with perhaps slightly more performance in certain tasks due to the 5600M having much higher memory bandwidth. Looks like they had to keep the clockspeeds really low to maintain power and thermal efficiency, but still a nice 32% Tflop improvement over the 5500M. I would expect games to perform 25% better at least.

For comparison with desktop cards, this would put the 5600M faster then the RX580/GTX1060/1650Super and slightly behind the GTX 1660.

Well, it doesn't matter much if you can't pay $700 for a mediocre GPU. Typical Apple price!

#453252 64-bit apocalypse

Posted by Homy on 14 June 2020 - 08:46 AM in Mac OS Related

View Postnoxplague, on 07 June 2020 - 01:35 PM, said:

Second you can see how Steam added a MacOS filter (the little Apple by the search box) that shows you only compatible macOS Catalina supported games.

The blue Apple above the search box has been there for some time and I thought it was not specific to Catalina compatible games but maybe it's because I don't have Catalina and only 10.12. It only sorts out my Mac games in my library. If not switched on I see a list of both Mac and Windows games.

#453159 A Total War Saga: Troy an Epic exclusive initially

Posted by Homy on 03 June 2020 - 09:44 AM in Mac Strategy

Borderlands 3 for Mac didn't make it to Steam after the exclusivity ended so who knows, maybe this one will get the same treatment too.

#453155 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by Homy on 03 June 2020 - 08:25 AM in General

View PostJanichsan, on 03 June 2020 - 08:22 AM, said:

Seems like Epic and Creative Assembly/Sega massively screwed Feral over: "A Total War Saga: Troy" will be a 12-month EGS exclusive, which probably means Feral can't release their Mac and Linux ports as intended.

Sad but then they will have more time to work on Bioshock 2 Remastered for faster release. ;)

#453144 Feral's upcoming project?

Posted by Homy on 29 May 2020 - 02:26 PM in General

View PostMr Pink, on 29 May 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

Feral announced via their newsletter, that they are porting 'BioShock 2 Remastered'.

Holy cow! Great news! I wonder if you get it for free on Steam if you have the old one or for Windows. I bought Bioshock 2 Remastered and Minerva's Den for Windows on sale to get Bioshock 2 for Mac when it wasn't longer available for Mac. If I'm not wrong I should be able to download it since I have the Windows version. Really hope so. :D

#453134 Free Mac (and occasionally Windows) games

Posted by Homy on 29 May 2020 - 08:44 AM in General

View PostJanichsan, on 28 May 2020 - 10:17 PM, said:

I suspect the EGS does not have the option to share revenues with third-party porting companies, like Steam does. Hence, no Mac ports from Aspyr and Feral there.

Sounds strange. They surely have other Mac games? I think it's not a matter of technical impossibility but the low number of Mac players and poor profitability. Long live Steam!

#453128 Free Mac (and occasionally Windows) games

Posted by Homy on 28 May 2020 - 03:08 PM in General

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 28 May 2020 - 02:52 PM, said:

A lot of the games Epic has given away, has had Mac versions.

I don't know about before but these recent and newest giveaways are for Windows only, like Civ 6, Borderlands 2 and TPS. Clearly they don't care about Mac anymore.

#453126 Free Mac (and occasionally Windows) games

Posted by Homy on 28 May 2020 - 02:12 PM in General

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 28 May 2020 - 02:01 PM, said:

Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for free at Epic? How can you say no? Okay okay, Windows only, but still! Borderlands 2 is one of my most played games... Almost the best shooter in existence!

Very disappointed! Was hoping to get TPS for free since I already have 1-2 but only for Windows? Who cares... Not impressed at all by Epic with all these Windows-only giveaways.

#453070 Free Mac (and occasionally Windows) games

Posted by Homy on 15 May 2020 - 07:10 PM in General

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 15 May 2020 - 12:17 AM, said:

Epic store is back up, and GTA V: Premium Edition even, is now available.

Also, grab a free 10$ voucher useable for games over 15$ (Mine was 13$ for some reason, VAT?), valid until November 1st, if Epic Game Store is your thing.

Also, according to leaks, the next few games will be Civilization VI, Borderlands: Handsome Collection and Ark Survival Evolved... So some pretty big biggies!

Here is the rumour but those games don't even exist on Epic store right now?

#453006 Borderlands 3!

Posted by Homy on 06 May 2020 - 03:51 AM in Mac Action & Shooters

A movie is in the works with Cate Blanchett as Lilith.

#452940 Free Mac (and occasionally Windows) games

Posted by Homy on 28 April 2020 - 08:21 AM in General

View PostUmarOMC1, on 27 April 2020 - 09:00 PM, said:

There's a Cheap Mac Games thread ;)

Ok, thanks! Didn't know there was such a thread. :)

#452933 Free Mac (and occasionally Windows) games

Posted by Homy on 27 April 2020 - 08:57 AM in General

Not free but almost free. Alien Day means Alien Isolation for only $2 or €1.85 now on Steam. 95% Off! :)

#452926 Borderlands 3!

Posted by Homy on 26 April 2020 - 08:36 PM in Mac Action & Shooters

View PostMatt Diamond, on 26 April 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

I'm glad you said something. The updates are about once a month though- are the posts really that annoying?

From my point of view I'm taking a break from the game, so I don't always know there's a patch. Yet I'm interested in hearing about limited time events and significant gameplay changes. And the Epic launcher doesn't tell you what the patch is for either. When someone summarizes that info for me it saves me time, and that's why I summarize them too.

I don't. Personally I'd rather read someone's summary here, with an occasional snarky comment, than to try to drink from the marketing firehose. Just me?

I certainly don't want to annoy anyone. But I would have thought that the start of the Revenge of the Cartels event alone was worth mentioning. What kinds of posts should this thread be reserved for?

It's alright. I can turn off the notifications and look in here once a while since I don’t own the game and I'm not currently so interested. :)

I looked back at the thread and you’re right that you post about once a month about updates but as I said you’re not alone. As far as I can see first time it was UmarOMC1 that made a post in November (nr 195) but lately the number of such posts has increased. In April you two have made three posts. Here is how it looks:

November - post 195 by Umar OMC1, post 196 by Matt Diamond
December - nr 215 by Matt Diamond
January - nr 227 by Matt Diamond
February - nr 228 by Matt Diamond
March- nr 252 by Umar OMC1
April - nr 255 by Umar OMC1, nr 266 by Umar OMC1, nr 270 by Matt Diamond

Still you have missed a few update reports in April. The game got 5 hotfixes and updates in April alone (2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 26th).

I guess since I follow the game on Facebook and see these news updates there it feels like old news and repetitive to see them here too. I still believe that if you play the game you are aware of news about the updates. I mean you seem to get your info elsewhere first and then post them here. It shows that as a gamer you first go to the main source i.e. the different channels for the game (website, FB, Twitter).

Such posts tend to make the thread feel more like a news thread than discussion thread. I mean it would be more interesting if you wrote what you think of Revenge of the Cartels event after you played it instead of reporting about the news, but don’t let me discourage you. Maybe it’s me and my lack of interest for the game at the moment. Better for me to turn off the notifications than trying to stop your enthusiasm. :)

#452925 Alien: Isolation

Posted by Homy on 26 April 2020 - 07:25 PM in Mac Action & Shooters

Alien Day means Alien Isolation for only $2 or €1.85 now on Steam. :)