Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6190 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 31 January 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

Perhaps, but from all accounts it seems that emulation tends to not really leverage CPGPU stuff much... (The vast majority of the work for this (and basically all other emulators) is done in software recompiling and executing code) and typically raw CPU horsepower is what it needs... and doesn't usually benefit much from multithreading (beyond 2 cores, at least PCSX2 and Dolphin don't). I'm not outright dismissing the possibility. But to me it's as if you are talking about theoretical stuff more than practical. They may very well do that and prove me wrong... who knows.

PS3 had raw GHz. Being clocked at ~3.2GHz for the Cell. PS4 has ~1.6Ghz... now I know that's an apples to oranges comparison as one CPU is a custom PowerPC CPU and the other is a custom x86-64. But so is comparing what the PS3 could do to the PS4 when it comes to CPU tasks that emulation needs.
I was under the impression that a big problem with emulating the PS2's EE chip was all the wacky multiprocessing floating point operations being performed. The PS3's Cell obviously would have no problem with that since that was the one thing it excelled at above all else, but I don't know if an AMD Jaguar's CPU half might... my thinking was GPGPU is generally fantastic for FP tasks, so perhaps they're offloading that to the graphics cores on the PS4.

I mean, they're certainly not going to be taxed running PS2 quality graphics in HD. Leaves lots of available overhead. :)
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#62 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostFrost, on 31 January 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

I was under the impression that a big problem with emulating the PS2's EE chip was all the wacky multiprocessing floating point operations being performed. The PS3's Cell obviously would have no problem with that since that was the one thing it excelled at above all else, but I don't know if an AMD Jaguar's CPU half might... my thinking was GPGPU is generally fantastic for FP tasks, so perhaps they're offloading that to the graphics cores on the PS4.

I mean, they're certainly not going to be taxed running PS2 quality graphics in HD. Leaves lots of available overhead. :)

Yeah I'm going by what PCSX\Dolphin\etc. devs\people say and the things that those emulators need to do. You would think that most Wii games wouldn't tax any kind of modern hardware especially since most of it is PS2 level graphics but with the properties of how emulation has to work it certainly does.

Especially if you have to throw in CPU emulation in the mix... and everything in the original system has to be emulated.

CPGPU can only be useful if it directly applies to what you are wanting to do with it from what I hear. Same thing with multithreading. So to me it doesn't seem as if you can just wrap whatever you want to it such as EE's "wacky multiprocessing floating point operations" and call it a day.

Dolphin has CPGPU stuff for texture decoding for example.... but it doesn't seem to be a huge win to me. One can barely tell they are using it in average use unless something goes awry with it and it causes bugs.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#63 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3369 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

I could emulate Wii games at 2880x1800 no problem with Dolphin on my old Retina Macbook Pro
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 || 960 Evo NVMe || Win10 Pro
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Xbox One X || PS4 Pro || iPhone X

#64 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

I could also emulate wii games no problem on my 2009 iMac.

Wait.... What a massive generalization that statement is and doesn't really paint the correct picture of "which games at what settings, etc.". Which is very very important. Games like Mario Kart Wii or New Super Mario Bros. Wii have run almost perfectly on either my new or old iMacs but games like Mario Galaxy have in the past and continue to struggle. Even some "2D" games like Kirby's Epic Yarn lag if you don't have at least 3.somethingGhz. Especially during boss battles. It's well established and documented that some games in dolphin need more raw GHz than others. Most people running Mario Galaxy perfectly at 1080p+ especially with the internal frame buffer set to match have 4Ghz+ CPUs.

Even games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii would lag on some worlds\levels such as the desert one on my older iMac... and there I've had to lower the resolution to 1600x900 and the internal frame buffer to 2x which is about 720p. There's been some performance improvements in Dolphin in the last couple of years but not enough to lower the requirements much. You could have your resolution set to "whatever" but your internal resolution set to 1x so it's not really at that resolution.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#65 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3369 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 04 February 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

I could also emulate wii games no problem on my 2009 iMac.

Wait.... What a massive generalization that statement is and doesn't really paint the correct picture of "which games at what settings, etc.". Which is very very important. Games like Mario Kart Wii or New Super Mario Bros. Wii have run almost perfectly on either my new or old iMacs but games like Mario Galaxy have in the past and continue to struggle. Even some "2D" games like Kirby's Epic Yarn lag if you don't have at least 3.somethingGhz. Especially during boss battles. It's well established and documented that some games in dolphin need more raw GHz than others. Most people running Mario Galaxy perfectly at 1080p+ especially with the internal frame buffer set to match have 4Ghz+ CPUs.

Even games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii would lag on some worlds\levels such as the desert one on my older iMac... and there I've had to lower the resolution to 1600x900 and the internal frame buffer to 2x which is about 720p. There's been some performance improvements in Dolphin in the last couple of years but not enough to lower the requirements much. You could have your resolution set to "whatever" but your internal resolution set to 1x so it's not really at that resolution.

I don't understand why you have to be so attacking.

My point that my laptop with mobile hardware can emulate many Wii at 2880x1800 resolution with no issues. I don't think that the PS4, with it's significantly more powerful hardware is going to have trouble emulating PS2 games at a much lower resolution then my laptop. The official recommended requirements for the popular pcsx2 emulater isn't powerful hardware at all:

Recommended
* Windows Vista / Windows 7 32bit/64bit
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2ghz or better
* GPU: 8600gt or better
* 1gb RAM (2gb if on Vista / Windows 7)

I think it's safe to assume that they'll be able to figure out how to run PS2 games on the PS4. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra

#66 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Still those are general guidelines and don't apply to absolutely everything you run in emulation. Some require more.. some less. Like I said an apples to oranges comparison. Also earlier I already said I'm not dismissing it outright but also at this point the whole subject is rumor anyway and it remains to be seen how or if they will implement it. It could just be streaming for all we know rendering this whole discussion moot. I'm just saying emulation is not a trivial thing and depending on how accurate you want to make it.. requires a lot more than you might think. Even SNES emulation requires 3+GHz if you want to make it cycle accurate.

Why Perfect Hardware SNES Emulation Requires a 3GHz CPU

Also, I guess we might have to agree to disagree with how demanding Wii emulation is because I constantly see games like Mario Galaxy having hefty requirements at HD resolutions. I doubt a retina Macbook Pro can run it at native resolution @4x internal frame buffer.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#67 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3369 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 04 February 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

Still those are general guidelines and don't apply to absolutely everything you run in emulation. Some require more.. some less. Like I said an apples to oranges comparison. Also earlier I already said I'm not dismissing it outright but also at this point the whole subject is rumor anyway and it remains to be seen how or if they will implement it. It could just be streaming for all we know rendering this whole discussion moot. I'm just saying emulation is not a trivial thing and depending on how accurate you want to make it.. requires a lot more than you might think. Even SNES emulation requires 3+GHz if you want to make it cycle accurate.

Why Perfect Hardware SNES Emulation Requires a 3GHz CPU

Also, I guess we might have to agree to disagree with how demanding Wii emulation is because I constantly see games like Mario Galaxy having hefty requirements at HD resolutions. I doubt a retina Macbook Pro can run it at native resolution @4x internal frame buffer.

Quote from that article:

The casual gamer who only plays the most popular twenty or so titles will see no visible differences between an emulator requiring 300MHz and another requiring 3GHz

You are putting way to much emphasis on "perfect emulation". It may be very important to you, but the majority of people fall under the "casual gamer" tag. Those that care so much about absolute perfection when it comes to how their ps2 games look, should probably just get a ps2 for $20. If Sony does offer PS2 emulation on the PS4, it will be to satisfy the demand from gamers who want to relive MGS3:Snake Eater, or maybe some of the FF games, etc. It will not be focused towards the hardcore gamer who wants ps2 games emulated with absolute perfection and precision.

#68 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

Still again even for imperfect emulation I've noticed that it requires a lot. Dolphin and PCSX2 don't qualify as perfect hardware emulation and still require a lot. We can go back and forth all day with you saying that even a mobile computer can play all the games at top resolution just fine and me saying that's not true. Besides I haven't been emphasizing perfect emulation this whole time. I just included it as an example as to how emulation can be more demanding even for older systems. BTW, perfect emulation wouldn't fix the issue of Mario Galaxy's demands.. it'd only make it worse increasing the hardware demands. MAME got more demanding over time because of that for example. OTOH even pocket calculators are now powerful enough to run many 80's and 90's MAME games. Also I'd say the average gamer probably wants  a majority of their games to actually run and without trouble. If XYZ game doesn't run the way they remember it they would go around saying how the emulator or backwards compatibility program is crap on all the forums.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#69 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6190 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

So I tried the DualShock 4 via the DualShock 4 Tool on my Tiki to evaluate it as an alternative to running a DualShock 3 with MotionInJoy.

Ho-lee-crap. I'm sticking with it. This is the best controller for computer gaming bar none. Not only does it connect via USB or Bluetooth with no special tools or drivers (thanks, Sony engineers), but also the DS4 Tool puts an exceptionally nice wrapper on it once it's already connected that makes it work as an XInput device AND a trackpad. I can perform mouse functions on it in games that have limited controller support without switching back and forth. I just hit R2+L2+Trackpad to enable the trackpad, then use the trackpad as the mouse with L1 as left click and R1 as right click. Do whatever, then hit L2+Trackpad and it goes back to normal controller mode.

Frakking sweet.

Wired Xbox controller? Logitech controllers? Ha. I'm tasking my second DS4 to the computer permanently. If I need another DS4 for the PS4 I'll get one later.

From what I've heard, it works just as well or better under OSX too.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#70 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6190 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:33 AM

My reactions to gaming news this past week, Cliff's Notes version:

<Sony announces Morpheus VR project competing with Oculus Rift>

Frost: Yeah, right, Sony. Nice "me too" effort. I might be interested, but gimme an Oculus first.

<Facebook buys Oculus VR>

Frost: ... so how 'bout that Morpheus.

Eric5h5:

#71 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6190 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

1. I got in the Destiny Alpha
2. Suspicions confirmed: Bungie's Destiny is a hell of a lot of fun
3. I have an extra Alpha code. Who wants it? (Gotta be a PS4 owner)

Eric5h5:

#72 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3369 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

MEEEEEEEEEE

#73 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6190 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 14 June 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

MEEEEEEEEEE
Take it!

Eric5h5:

#74 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3369 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

Was only able to play for about an hour so far, but looks really good.

I'm interested to see how the storyline pans out, but so far it looks like a really good experience. Definitely an MMO, but a lot of Borderlands elements, which is awesome.

#75 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4071 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

Peoples expectations to that game appear to be fullfilled. So, what does the short alpha do right?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#76 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6190 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

For me, the best moment was wandering around in the one available open world section scrounging around and exploring, and coming across another player who was outnumbered and outgunned, trapped in a firefight with a bunch of Fallen (one of several antagonistic alien races, some of whom are allied and some who aren't, resulting in the occasional three-way firefights of varying intensity). He had holed up in a building firing out of it when he could and was receiving a barrage of incoming fire immediately after.

I got a good vantage point and elevation on the situation with a scout rifle, hurled a pulse grenade into the biggest cluster, and started picking them off and drawing fire. He managed to take the opportunity to make a running exit from the building and I covered him over to my position, then switched to a badass machinegun I had picked up earlier and we took down the remainder of them side by side. Once the smoke cleared, he went on his way back toward whatever objective he was heading toward, and I went back to aimless random exploration.

That was really awesome, and totally spontaneous.

I like how the game is divided up. You can have whatever kind of action you're looking for served up right away in a way that feels right and makes sense for the universe. Mainly:

1) You can go to the Crucible, where you engage in multiplayer combat against other players for fun and to hone your skills. It could be best described as "Halo with no shields."
2) You can load up a Strike, which is a matchmade coop mission where you are matched with a couple other players and fight through a scripted coop-only segment
3) You can go to a very large free roam area, where you can complete story objectives, do random missions, and you will randomly (but infrequently) encounter other players either doing the same thing you are, or doing something completely different but your paths happen to cross and sometimes awesome will happen as above, or sometimes you'll just pass each other by.

From the looks of it, you can completely ignore Crucible and Strike missions unless you want to play them too. All you'll miss out on is some neat Crucible- or Vanguard-specific gear.

Looks like they did a good job distilling the fun and social interaction of an MMO, while wiping out the underlying grind. It only took me a couple hours to hit the Alpha level cap (8), and reportedly it only takes a couple of average game campaign lengths of time to hit the maximum level (20). The main draw of the game seems to be honing your character's skills, acquiring better and better gear, and the fun of playing. Which is refreshing for me because grinding for weeks for gear/levels/gold is the antithesis of fun, and why I can never get into MMOs. A grindless MMOFPS where I can jump in and out without having to be devoted to it is just what the doctor ordered.

Eric5h5:

#77 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6190 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

Now that I've talked it up, the main problem with the game: Peter Dinklage phoned in his performance as Ghost, your AI guide. Which is shocking considering how good he is in other roles, but there it is. It wouldn't be a problem with other characters, but you're going to be hearing Ghost a lot.

"It can't be. The Hive. What are they doing here."

All said completely deadpan. When I hear him, I don't hear a character, I hear what sounds like a guy reading lines one after another while bored in a studio and they're going with the first take of everything.

I can't imagine Cortana being as interesting a character if Jen Taylor sounded totally disinterested and slightly bored at all times. Which isn't really the actor's problem so much as poor direction.

Eric5h5:

#78 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3369 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostFrost, on 16 June 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

Now that I've talked it up, the main problem with the game: Peter Dinklage phoned in his performance as Ghost, your AI guide. Which is shocking considering how good he is in other roles, but there it is. It wouldn't be a problem with other characters, but you're going to be hearing Ghost a lot.

"It can't be. The Hive. What are they doing here."

All said completely deadpan. When I hear him, I don't hear a character, I hear what sounds like a guy reading lines one after another while bored in a studio and they're going with the first take of everything.

I can't imagine Cortana being as interesting a character if Jen Taylor sounded totally disinterested and slightly bored at all times. Which isn't really the actor's problem so much as poor direction.

To his credit, he is supposed to be a robot - devoid of emotion. I did find his voice acting lacklaster though.

The funnest part for me was when I just randomly exploring an area, killing a few Fallen, but nothing to intense. All of sudden this massive Fallen tank drops into the area, and we get an area event where we have to take it down. We had 5 minutes to kill the tank, and there was about 4 human players gathered to together at this point. We then immediately split off and surrounded the tank, attacking from all sides, and calling out the 'crit spots' to eachother as we found them. The tank was hard enough to defeat that we didn't actually kill it within the allocated time, and it left, so we failed the mission. Still extremely fun though.

It feels like Halo (physics, gunplay, etc.), plays like borderlands (complete objective and missions across an open world for sweet loot), and also feels like an MMO in the sense that you feel like you are apart of something much greater, but doesn't feel like an MMO in the traditional sense where it's a grindfest that will take hundreds of hours to reach max level and get good gear.

#79 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6190 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 16 June 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

The funnest part for me was when I just randomly exploring an area, killing a few Fallen, but nothing to intense. All of sudden this massive Fallen tank drops into the area, and we get an area event where we have to take it down. We had 5 minutes to kill the tank, and there was about 4 human players gathered to together at this point. We then immediately split off and surrounded the tank, attacking from all sides, and calling out the 'crit spots' to eachother as we found them. The tank was hard enough to defeat that we didn't actually kill it within the allocated time, and it left, so we failed the mission. Still extremely fun though.
I had that same encounter happen, except the only other guy in the area ran for the hills the moment the tank dropped! I tried taking it on alone, but that was when I was still on the starting weapons so I was mainly scratching its paint for 5 minutes until it left.

We did take down one of those spider tanks that was the mid-level boss on the Strike mission though. That bastard was TOUGH. Worst part was we got it down to literally so little health I couldn't make out any bars left... at which point it let off a grenade barrage that saturated our positions so we literally couldn't go anywhere or do anything to avoid them, and killed all three of us. Back to the checkpoint, full health tank. A collective F-bomb was dropped.

Eric5h5:

#80 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6190 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

Looks like I wasn't the only one who thought Dinklage was phoning it in (or that Bungie's script was... less than stellar): Destiny dialogue being "updated"

Eric5h5: