11 replies to this topic

#1 Oujmik

Oujmik

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:45 PM

Right, I have a new challenge for you guys :P. I need a downloadable program that allows me to convert .mov files to uncompressed .avi so I can read them into MatLab ( a scientific programming environment). Second best option is something that would let me extract the frames from the .mov and save them as images.

I know you won't fail me...

#2 KirinRiotCrash

KirinRiotCrash

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

QuickTime Pro can convert a .mov file into an image sequence. Go into File --> Export --> Movie as Image Sequence. You can export them as JPG, TIFF, PNG, and many others.

#3 Oujmik

Oujmik

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:09 PM

Was looking for free software really, I've never really felt the need to buy Pro as I've always been able to find open source apps that did everything I needed...

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:09 PM

I'm 99% sure that QT Pro won't output .avi files.  In fact, I don't know of a single free app that exports files as .avi's, and I've looked for ages.  Have you ever just tried renaming the files to .avi and seeing if MatLab will accept them?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:25 PM

renaming the files most likely won't do anything since Matlab still has to be able to read the encoding of the video.  I'm surprised QT isn't supported though...
"Nothing here but us text"

#6 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

Quicksilver, on December 13th 2005, 09:09 AM, said:

I'm 99% sure that QT Pro won't output .avi files.

View Post

I think that is what I am doing here with my QT Pro. Or is this not it...?

Posted Image

:happy:

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17705 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:04 PM

Good catch Tomatocow.  The problem is that even though you just pwned Quicksilver, Oujmik doesn't want to pop for Quicktime Pro or any other software.  He is looking for freeware.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:56 PM

the Battle Cat, on December 13th 2005, 10:04 AM, said:

Good catch Tomatocow.  The problem is that even though you just pwned Quicksilver, Oujmik doesn't want to pop for Quicktime Pro or any other software.  He is looking for freeware.

View Post

Yes, that is unfortunate. QT Pro offers such a wide range of features that will greatly empower his abilities to work in various formats of video for use on or offline.

Thanks,

Your QuickTime Pro Representative

#9 KirinRiotCrash

KirinRiotCrash

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:58 PM

You could try ffmpegX to convert a .mov file into a DivX (or Xvid) .avi. Even though ffmpegX is shareware, the program has no limitations, time bombs, cripplers, or any of that weird crap that some shareware authors do. Just one no-wait nag screen that can easily be bypassed by a single click and that's it.

[sarcastic-rant]
IMHO, I won't buy any shareware apps that over-nag me with messages that go down the line of [sarcasm] "I cried while I beat my spouse so hard, sacrificed my kids to the Tiki monster, and shed some blood in a failed attempt in committing seppuku just so I could develop this app. Please support my shareware because I'm a cheap bastard making six figures per year and could use every little bit to support my family ... or whatever is left of them." [/sarcasm] Seriously, I hate nags screens that gives me too much information. It's even worse if I have to sit for 30 seconds before I click the OK button. Just say "please support shareware by buying my app. All you have to do is click the Buy Now and follow these simple instructions" ... there ... not that hard, is it.
[/sarcastic-rant]

#10 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:25 AM

the Battle Cat, on December 13th 2005, 01:04 AM, said:

Good catch Tomatocow.  The problem is that even though you just pwned Quicksilver . . .

View Post

Hey, that's the kind of helpful pwning that I don't mind.   :)   Oujmik, how big are those files?  I'm thinking that if they're relatively small, you could send them to one of us and we could do the conversion for you.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#11 Oujmik

Oujmik

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:30 PM

Thanks very much for the advice, all. I managed to get a friend with a PC to extract the frames I needed in the end. I don't normally work using videos, otherwise I would certainly consider getting QT Pro as it seems fairly well featured for the price. I'd already tried ffmpegx, the problem being that matlab is a pretty stubborn bit of software and only likes uncompressed avi files.

Thanks for the offer to do the conversion for me, much appreciated, but as I said not necessary this time around. If only someone would release some good new games I wouldn't have time to do all this work...

#12 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

Make sure you complain to MathWorks. Only supporting AVI is pushing it, but not supporting compressed video of any kind is just plain ridiculous, especially in a program as expensive as MatLab.