What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1816 replies to this topic

#1641 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Steam Name:Triton
  • Steam ID:triton98

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

View PostNickburger, on 11 December 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

I technically finished this game a month ago but I'm procrastinating so:

Spec Ops the Line is outrageously good -- it might only work for gamers who are acquainted with the tropes of military shooter games but if you are, this is an instant classic. The actual gameplay mechanics are bland but all I can say without spoiling anything is that there are huge payoffs for soldiering through to the end. It's a major emotional experience.

Put it on your wishlist!

Ending really messed with my head, impacted me more than I ever thought a game could. That and Fullmetal Alchemist have really shaped my feelings on war.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

My GOG name is ipickert55, feel free to add me!

#1642 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 10 December 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Previously: Sniper: Ghost Warrior: now this was fun, despite the typical shortcoming where enemies are able to shoot with supreme accuracy (at least when playing on Hard difficulty) in order to compensate for the dumb AI. I'll certainly play Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 (then 3).

I've now completed Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2, and it's good! The Siberian Strike DLC is even better.

Since I had bought all three in a bundle, I also played their first game, Sniper : Art of Victory: the mostly negative reviews on Steam are well deserved, this game sucks. I guess the developers team was 14 years old when they made this piece of garbage.

#1643 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

Mild spoiler alert for anyone intending to play the Battlefield 1 single player campaign which is the best since BC2 by a long shot. In other words, itís actually good. The following just gives away what the last part of the last battle is and nothing else aside of how I went about it.

In a thrilling, epic battle for the ages, I beat the final and toughest mission of Battlefield 1 riding a horse and pitching anti-tank grenades at an armored train with mounted guns and mortars while planes soared overhead raining down bombs and bullets with infantry opposition harassing me as well! I continued the perilous strafing runs unconcerned for my own safety as the future of the entire world hung in the balance. All of this I fearlessly accomplished on normal difficulty which was damned hard! Oh, and I was playing as an Arabian woman too because I can be flexible when it comes to winning a world war.

I canít wait to tell mom. She is going to be so proud of me!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#1644 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

I got the new Xbox One X, Apple TV 4K and a new samsung 4K TV. The future is now.

Playing Dragon Age Origins on backward compatibility tho :P

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#1645 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2613 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

Steamworld Dig 2.  If you liked the first one you can't go wrong with this. This one is bigger and has more variety in environments and puzzles (eventually). My plan was to finish it over my winter break, but I still have quite a ways to go. I am enjoying using a gamepad this time.

Also still playing Overload (6 degrees-of-freedom shooter, a Descent successor currently in Steam early access.) It's been rock solid for many months; they will be releasing the final single-player game soon. Fingers crossed they will add multiplayer after that. Keyboard and mouse for this one!

Playing Dragon Age Origins on backward compatibility tho

Played a little bit of that too, for old times' sake.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1646 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

View Postipickert55, on 02 January 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

I got the new Xbox One X, Apple TV 4K and a new samsung 4K TV. The future is now.

Playing Dragon Age Origins on backward compatibility tho :P

First off, congratulations on the awesome new toys! Secondly, I love that you are enjoying backwards compatibility for Dragon Age Origins! Since getting my Xbox One S, I have been so into that and I am currently playing the first Battlefield Bad Company now with EA Access. I enjoyed the second one on my iMac with Windows and lamented at the time not being able to play the first one. Itís fun and funny. I get a kick out of the band of misfits I am a part of in the game. I fit right in!

Iíve picked up more 360 games than Xbox One games so far to enjoy last gen stuff I didnít get to including DA Origins Ultimate Edition.

#1647 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:29 AM

I've finished Iron Storm, an old FPS game from 2002. Graphics are obviously poor by today's standards, but bearable. There are only six levels, but they're huge and you can spend 2 h on one. I liked the atmosphere, the various environments (trench warfare, urban guerilla, buildings), the weapons, the stealth sections. The game is brutally hard though, so I've worn out the F5 and F9 keys (quick save/load); thankfully this game predates the checkpoints fad which came from consoles. Also levels are totally open, this game also predates the corridor FPS fad, and there's no map and giant waypoint so there's no one holding your hand. Only $1 on sale.

#1648 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 02 January 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

First off, congratulations on the awesome new toys! Secondly, I love that you are enjoying backwards compatibility for Dragon Age Origins! Since getting my Xbox One S, I have been so into that and I am currently playing the first Battlefield Bad Company now with EA Access. I enjoyed the second one on my iMac with Windows and lamented at the time not being able to play the first one. It's fun and funny. I get a kick out of the band of misfits I am a part of in the game. I fit right in!

I've picked up more 360 games than Xbox One games so far to enjoy last gen stuff I didn't get to including DA Origins Ultimate Edition.

Backwards compatibility is awesome, one of the best features about the xbox. They're also enhancing backward compatible games for the One X, so I'm super friggin happy with these purchase right now. (Hopefully Dragon Age 2 comes before I finish Origins lol)

#1649 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3963 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

So, I reached the end boss of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. (Minor spoilers ahead)

..And well, I will likely give it a few more tries, but I must admit there's not much enthusiasm driving me to do so, as I do consider him quite bland. It is just about one of the least interesting boss battle arenas I've ever seen (And I've seen my share!), and he's not much more interesting himself on top of that.

And for the game itself, well, its more Borderlands, so that's of course nice, buuuut... The story was not particularly interesting I must say, and damn am I tired of the "make your way to the vault and slay the guardian" plotline! I was like "What, again?" when they did it for Borderlands 2, and now they did it a third time!.
The vast majority of NPC characters were extremely similar, overly weird, and with way too over the top humor. It is as if they took all the extremest and weirdest humor in Borderlands 2, and decided that everything in the game should be like that. Not fun at all.
The entire game appeared to use two different map designs: Grey moon landscape or grey space station. VERY dull and by far my biggest gripe with the game! Everywhere looked the same, and did not in any way want to explore, which of course is a big thing in Borderlands. Most of the enemies seemed the same, and just Borderlands 2 rehashes.

Jack was great again of course, but not totally as awesome as the first time you experience Borderlands 2. He didn't seem to have so many awesome lines as in Borderlands 2.

I played as Wilhelm, and he was okay I guess. The other characters did not appeal much to me, although I could see myself play as Claptrap, as he seems to play very randomly, but I can't really see myself play the game again for a loooooong time.

I think I land on a 3/5. Maybe 3,5/5, but only because I liked the variation they added with all the new kinds of laser weapons. And speaking of weapons, have anyone actually managed to get something useful out of the grinder, even when adding triple blues or purples, with moonstones on the side?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1650 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Screw the grinder, it is a waste of moonstones, you are better off using golden keys after you level up.  I pretty much agree with your assessment of the game in general but I did like a number of things about it such as the BL2 style inventory system, the butt slamming, double jumps, jump pads, and new element types.  Why would you say the jump pads were dum?  I will ANNIHILATE you!!

Wilhelm was fun to play, I would recommend a play through with the Baroness before you give it up.  Ignore her right hand column stats, it really only works playing co-op with someone who wants to be your indentured servant.  I focus on buffing her deadly action skill to the max.  That ice shard is the best action skill after the Mechromancer's Deathtrap.  Bandits try to shoot the shard instead of you, meanwhile you two are mopping up the battle field.  Your strength is their weakness when you freeze them with a freeze weapon, they stand helpless as you walk up and shatter them with a punch to the snot box so max out all your freeze skills.

And you should know the Claptrap character is by far the worst one to play in the trilogy.  His random action skill usually hurts you and your co-op buddies during a fight.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#1651 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 06 January 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

And you should know the Claptrap character is by far the worst one to play in the trilogy.  His random action skill usually hurts you and your co-op buddies during a fight.

tBC looooooooooooooves when I play clappy. It reminds him of the time he got the clap back in '71.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#1652 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

Penicillin G to the rescue.

ďHere kitty, kitty! This wonít hurt me a bit!Ē - Nurse Ratched

Todayís trivia! That quote is from the cameo appearances of tBC & Nurse Ratched in the film, ďApocalypse Now.Ē Sadly it wound up on the cutting room floor for some inexplicable reason. Rumor has it the scene was deemed too violent but whether this is true or not remains a mystery.

#1653 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8271 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:47 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 06 January 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

And speaking of weapons, have anyone actually managed to get something useful out of the grinder, even when adding triple blues or purples, with moonstones on the side?
I actually got a pretty good legendary Oz kit from the grinder, but that's about it.

If you haven't done so yet, you should play the Claptastic Voyage DLC. That's actually very fun.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1654 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3963 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

Oh well, took the End boss in my first try, so there's that. I did die exactly as i gave him the final shot, so i have to check on youtube if there's a movie playing after he dies, as i got the achievement but was kicked out of the arena! Edit: okay, no movie apparently until you touch the thingy.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 06 January 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Screw the grinder, it is a waste of moonstones, you are better off using golden keys after you level up.
Got it. I took most of the space station over 8 hours of gameplay and hoarded green, blue and purple sniper rifles, lasers and rocket launchers. Put everything in the grinder, lost 40 moonstones and got.. Absolute shiat! I even put in some really nice stuff, including an awesome purple laser from Moxxi and two awesome purple sniper rifles, all for nothing. I can't believe the output is that bad.

After contemplating the game, I realise that they really need to up their game with Borderlands 3, but I do think we will get a more open ended and free roam game, with a much larger size in the next game. Perhaps some MMO like characteristics.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1655 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

Finished the first Battlefield Bad Company last night and had a great time. The campaign is a lot of fun. Itís a classic on rails experience but what a ride it was. I was surprised to find the game still has people playing online. I was not surprised by how well I didnít play on the first try but I still had fun. You canít learn if you donít dive right into the school of hard knocks so despite my trepidation I did it anyway. I canít see investing in multiplayer for a decade old game but it was good to get the first multiplayer experience with controller in hand under my belt.

Edit: Cut whining about old games... giving more time to FFVII...

#1656 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6175 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

Hell yeah, BF:BC campaign was great. I loved the modern day Kelly's Heroes angle they were going for.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#1657 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3963 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

Fallout 1.
First impression: "Man, this looks aged. Did it also look like this when I played it back then?"
Second impression a couple of hours in: "This game is still so awesome! ^_^"

They *really* should do an updated HD remaster of this gem, and the sequel. Sure, a big job, but the game is that great.

#1658 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

Not many games played recently as I was swamped by work, evening and week-end included (bit of a pain, but that still beats unemployment).
I finished a couple walking simulators: Bottle (cheap but poor) and Drizzlepath: Genie (better), a couple hidden object games, and this week-end Homefront (short but not bad, and much longer if you aim for achievements because some are challenging, namely complete chapters in Guerilla (very hard) mode or without dying, which isn't so easy even on easy difficulty).

#1659 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 28 January 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

Fallout 1.
First impression: "Man, this looks aged. Did it also look like this when I played it back then?"
Second impression a couple of hours in: "This game is still so awesome! ^_^"

They *really* should do an updated HD remaster of this gem, and the sequel. Sure, a big job, but the game is that great.

Ive tried more than once to get into it. Itís the interface that gets me, not the graphics. Iíd be all over an ďenhanced edition.Ē

#1660 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2613 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

Mini Metro - I like this one. You build networks that look like the famous multicolor London Tube map, with new stations popping up at random and you have to reroute your lines in response. It would be nice to have a stronger sense of progress-- high scores & leaderboards would help. There are targets to reach to unlock scenarios, which I guess is one measure of success..

Next up I sampled some backlog games that I wanted to try but suspected I wouldn't finish. So it's possible I didn't give them a fair shake.

Thomas Was Alone - minimalist graphics (almost Atari-esque) plus thoughtful puzzle design plus a whimsical Stanley Parable-style narrator explaining what each colored rectangle is thinking. Very slow start. What kept me playing was the periodic introduction of a new rectangle, each a new behavior. I got maybe 25% through. Good puzzle design but ultimately it just didn't match my current mood.

Massive Chalice - Played it for a couple hours. I like the idea a lot-- XCOM-like combat and a research tree, but you have to carefully breed your warriors' improvements over many generations. I decided I didn't want to play for 10+ hours only to find that I'd bred my lines wrong and would have to start over. But if I had a lot of time I might have gotten into it.

Fractal: Make Blooms Not War - Excellent presentation as usual from Cipher Prime, but I just wasn't in the mood to push the colored hexes around the board for more than an hour.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB