35 replies to this topic

#21 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:05 PM

It's a lot of fun, but it's pretty damn hard :o  After an hour or two, I'm only half way through the first level, which is like 5 cars in from the beginning.  if I buy this game, I think i'll be trying to beat it for the rest of my life :o

As for performance, It runs really well on an 800mhz iMac, 768 RAM and 32mb Geforce 4MX.  I'd think it would run well on a lesser system.
"Nothing here but us text"

#22 CockneyGeezer

CockneyGeezer

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 04:54 AM

Only one slight problem with the installer, but the game seems to work fine.

The game is bloody hard, the save and load function comes in handy.

The only video resolution available is 800x600, so the graphics are a bit choppy (using a PB). Also, as you have a small screen res, so there is a lot of scrolling, and you can't see everything.

Controls are a bit confusing. You will need a two-button mouse, so be warned! I tried to play with one button mouse, with little success. I suspect that's why I found it hard.

Pros:
Great graphics
Great sound
Great performance
You could be there all day trying to complete a level

Cons:
Bloody hard
Tutorial a bit basic. Has not reflection on the mission that is included in the demo
QuickLoad isn't exactly "quick"
You have to save every two minutes

Huge potential for this game. It might be worth a purchase :D

#23 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:15 AM

I'm still trying to finish off the first level. i think i'm close though :-\

#24 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:16 AM

I agree that the two big problems are the constant reloading and the poor controls.  I don't mind the game being hard, I mind it that half the time I'm killed it's because of the screwy controls.  For instance, if I'm the spy and I'm talking to someone, there's no way to select stick him with a needle, I need stop talking to him, then select needle (even if it's allready selected), then click on him, which means he has a few more seconds to see my commando and start shooting.  If you selected a weapon and did something else, then you click on an enemy, your person walks over to the enemy.  I'm not sure why you would ever want to walk over on top of the enemy, but if you do that should be the exception, not the norm.  Same with shooting, if you click on an empty space you fire there, when I think walking there should be the norm with an alternate option to force attack on a space.

But it is a very fun game, and when you are able to pull something off, it's very satisfying.

#25 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:57 AM

almondblight, on March 12th 2005, 08:16 AM, said:

I agree that the two big problems are the constant reloading and the poor controls. I don't mind the game being hard, I mind it that half the time I'm killed it's because of the screwy controls.

There are two methods of control available, you can have the Commandos 3 key layout, which uses a smaller set of keys to control the main functions of the game, or you can enable the Commandos 2 key layout, which provides 1-1 key mapping for most weapons and items in the game. Although there are more keys to learn, once learnt you can change weapons, Commandos and items more quickly than using the default key system. Additionally if you have played Commandos 2, this mode allows you to play both games using the same layout.

For instance, if I'm the spy and I'm talking to someone, there's no way to select stick him with a needle, I need stop talking to him, then select needle (even if it's allready selected), then click on him, which means he has a few more seconds to see my commando and start shooting.

The Spy has a set of skills and weapons available to him. While using his skills to talk to and distract an enemy, he cannot also pull out a poisoned syringe and kill the same solider to whom he is talking. What you are meant to do is use the skills of the various Commandos in combination to create winning manoeuvres.

For example, you can use the Spy to distract an enemy soldier and make him look away from the other Commandos and/or soldiers. You can then use anther Commando, for example use the Thief can knock out the guard(s) in the train while the Spy is distracting him.

If you selected a weapon and did something else, then you click on an enemy, your person walks over to the enemy.

This occurred because is you must have triggered another action that has deselected the weapon, remember moving the commando to a new location means they will deselect their weapons (unless you have selected a melee weapon and click on an enemy soldier). You have to make sure you have the weapons selected (cursor icon changes to a weapon or target) before you click on an enemy.

I'm not sure why you would ever want to walk over on top of the enemy, but if you do that should be the exception, not the norm. Same with shooting, if you click on an empty space you fire there, when I think walking there should be the norm with an alternate option to force attack on a space.

Selecting a weapon in Commandos works differently from FPS-style games.

In a FPS game, selecting a weapon means "this is the weapon I want to use next time I fire(click), but I can do other tasks (like moving around) before and after this."

In Commandos selecting a weapon means "this is the weapon I want to use next time I fire(click), but I cannot do any other tasks while having a weapon selected." You must deselect your weapon, make your move and them re-select your weapon. Due to this, in Commandos you only select your weapons when you wish to use them, unlike FPS games where a weapon is selected by default.

Hope this helps explain the controls and tactics that you need in Commandos to succeed.

Edwin

#26 dimmer

dimmer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:52 PM

I've played the first and second versions of the game, this is my first time with version three. I remember that C3 got review kicks for being too hard. The move to a 3D engine doesn't appear to have helped (IMHO), C2 was a great game though, so if you don't like this demo, don't give up on the pack.

#27 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:14 AM

edddeduck, on March 14th 2005, 03:57 AM, said:

Hope this helps explain the controls and tactics that you need in Commandos to succeed.

Edwin

View Post

Thanks for the help, I still find the controls a little clunky but overtime I'm getting used to them and having a lot of fun with the demo (which isn't too hard once you get some of the basics down).  Also, thanks for porting the game over, I think the Mac has been sorely lacking in games of this genre.  Hopefully this will bring about the ports of others.

dimmer, on March 14th 2005, 04:52 PM, said:

I've played the first and second versions of the game, this is my first time with version three. I remember that C3 got review kicks for being too hard. The move to a 3D engine doesn't appear to have helped (IMHO), C2 was a great game though, so if you don't like this demo, don't give up on the pack.

View Post

I don't usually view difficulty as a bad thing.  I thought the learning curve of the demo was pretty good intially very hard, but eventually you get the hang of things and are able to take care of things without much trouble.  It does take a couple of loads to make everyone do what I want them to sometimes, but that's more of a frustration and I don't think the game as a whole should be discarded because of it.  I am curious about Commandos 2, though, as I heard it was a very different game.

#28 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:59 AM

Is there going to be a windowed-mode? Most games these days seem to offer this option and it's extremely useful for me. Thanks in advance.   :D

Paul
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.13.2
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#29 SnowCrash

SnowCrash

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

MightySlugMan, on March 12th 2005, 10:15 AM, said:

I'm still trying to finish off the first level. i think i'm close though :-\

View Post

I'm not even close! I must be missing something really basic, here. When I select the spy, he is selected, but I can't see him. How do you get the 'inside' view of the carriage so you can actually see what is going on? Don't tell me you have to have ESP and move your guy around, blind.

Thanks
_SC

#30 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

double tapping the key corresponding to the character switches to that characters view.

btw, I haven't touched the demo since my last post, but I think I'm just about done this time! really!  i just have to clear out the last remaining cars in the front (again), and that should be it!

#31 ic1male

ic1male

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

Crikey, is this game still not out?
I remember back in the week before Christmas, we were all chirping on about how it would make a nice Christmas present. We must have meant Christmas 2005!

#32 ic1male

ic1male

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

Following on, I have just discovered "Soldiers: Heroes of WWII" on the PC. It is everything Commandos and more. I am finding it a lot of fun now that I probably won't buy Commandos! (Until version 4 appears anyway.)

#33 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:56 AM

Commandos is in manufacture at the moment and should be available to buy in the next couple of weeks. Its longer development time ensured that the game was finished off to our specified standards. Depending on the game, this process can take longer or shorter amounts of time and with Commandos it took longer than first expected.

We have added a few items into the Commandos games to make them more Mac like, as well as matching the input styles across the two games. This includes adding scroll-wheel support back into Commandos 2, and offering the option to play Commandos 3 using the Commandos 2 keyboard layout.

We hope the extra work we have given the Mac version meets with your approval, and is worth the anticipation.

Enjoy,

Edwin

#34 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:56 AM

edddeduck, on May 3rd 2005, 05:56 AM, said:

Commandos is in manufacture at the moment and should be available to buy in the next couple of weeks. Its longer development time ensured that the game was finished off to our specified standards. Depending on the game, this process can take longer or shorter amounts of time and with Commandos it took longer than first expected.

We have added a few items into the Commandos games to make them more Mac like, as well as matching the input styles across the two games. This includes adding scroll-wheel support back into Commandos 2, and offering the option to play Commandos 3 using the Commandos 2 keyboard layout.

We hope the extra work we have given the Mac version meets with your approval, and is worth the anticipation.

Enjoy,

Edwin

View Post

Always nice to see a Mac development house going the extra mile to make their port/product more Mac friendly!  
Myself, I don't mind waiting a few more weeks for a bit more polish.   :)

#35 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

A fun, well-made game is never too late.  :)
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#36 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:53 AM

Commandos Battle Pack is now shipping worldwide, if you ordered from the Feral web-store you should have the game in your hands by now. Apple retailers should have copies by Friday.

Have Fun  :D

- Edwin