Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8307 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 16 November 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

I'm annoyed because the Mac Build isn't out. *shakes fist*
I'm with you, especially as they apparently didn't really start working on the Mac and Linux versions before releasing the Windows version. So, this might be a couple of months… :angry:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#42 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8307 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:17 PM

Underworld Ascendant has been released, and I added my verdict. In short: it's a stinker.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#43 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 346 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:34 PM

Unknown Realm an 8-bit retro (duh) RPG is currently a year over-due and no KS updates since June. It's a seemingly simple game, but complicated by the fact that a cartridge-only C64 version is also in development (which is cool, but you have to ask why).
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#44 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8307 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:16 PM

View Postnick68k, on 03 December 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

Unknown Realm an 8-bit retro (duh) RPG is currently a year over-due and no KS updates since June. It's a seemingly simple game, but complicated by the fact that a cartridge-only C64 version is also in development (which is cool, but you have to ask why).
You'd be surprised how many games for original retro platforms are still being released. There's apparently a market.

#45 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 04 December 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

You'd be surprised how many games for original retro platforms are still being released. There's apparently a market.

Heck yes there is. I've got my IIgs decked out with solid state mass storage, multi channel sound card, and 8MB of RAM. I need all the hot new releases for 40 year old platforms.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#46 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 04 December 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

I mean, sure, I'm old enough that my first computer pre-dated the C64 (a Vic-20, no less), and I have a C64 Mini which I love dearly, but developing cart-only games for such ancient, original hardware seems a bit risky. But i'm just a humble keyboard turner (to shoehorn in a WoW analogy).
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#47 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8307 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:43 AM

View Postnick68k, on 04 December 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

I mean, sure, I'm old enough that my first computer pre-dated the C64 (a Vic-20, no less), and I have a C64 Mini which I love dearly, but developing cart-only games for such ancient, original hardware seems a bit risky. But i'm just a humble keyboard turner (to shoehorn in a WoW analogy).
It's surely something only targeted at die-hard retro enthusiasts. But as I said: the market exists. There is quite a number of C64 fanatics who keep their favorite platform alive – including the hardware. I know also of at least three – still ongoing and heavily supported – projects to build fully functional and in part somewhat modernised C64 replica. All of them include a cartridge slot. There are also comparable projects for the ZX Spectrum crowd.

And using cartridges as format for this retro release makes more sense than the alternatives: the cartridge slot of even the original hardware is very robust and reliable and more likely to still work than the old floppy drives. It also allows for more storage space and faster loading times (which as you might remember were notoriously slow on the old Commodore systems). I'm not even sure if they could still get 5.25" floppies if they wanted to.

In addition, most of these retro projects are also sold to audiences with more modern sensibilities: either there are digital version of the original retro versions bundled with easy to use emulator wrappers, or there are (like in the case of Unknown realm) native versions for modern operating systems.

#48 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8307 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

While we are already talking games for retro platforms, let me derail this thread for a moment: look at this.

This actually exists. There is a (short) playable demo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter