• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:52 PM

So I rescued this from the IT dumpster at work today.

It feels like it has a battery, but no juice (obviously), so I'll try and find a power supply to hook it up to.  

Posted Image

Bonus!

Posted Image

Posted Image

But holy crap it's heavy. I just carried it up the stairs and I need to sit down.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:04 PM

Nice. I have one that looks very similar, but the label has no specs, just says "PowerBook G3 Series". So I'm guessing yours is a later edition.
I don't feel like firing it up to get the specs, since it is so very slow.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#3 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:26 PM

Yeah I'm not sure what gen this is...Wallstreet Series II, perhaps.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Colonel Chaos

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2315 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:01 AM

This is actually not related to this at all - but the "it belongs in a museum" text reminded me of something about the Tarantino movie The Hateful Eight

Spoiler

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:42 AM

Similar thing happened in Battlestar Galactica. Edward James Olmos smashed a wooden model of a ship his character had been building as a hobby. It wasn't in the script but he went with his gut during the take and it was a great moment. But he didn't know the thing was on loan from a museum, worth over $100,000.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:44 AM

Back on topic... I (or rather, my dad) had one of these, but it was the beefier 300mhz model (https://everymac.com...ook_g3_300.html ) with a DVD drive. It was the first DVD drive my family owned... I vividly remember watching Jaws on it and being terrified. I also remember playing the DVD version of Riven on it, at a time when DVD games were super uncommon. Not having to swap disks was great.

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6227 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:40 AM

A WallStreet!!!

Aptly named, my first trades of my life were buying AAPL in 2001 on a PowerBook G3 WallStreet. I haven't kept all of my old Macs but some of them were so cool they made the cut; my WallStreet G3 is one. In fact I think I posted a thread a ways back about how I resurrected it after I unboxed it after a move to discover it was dead. Never did get the Transcend PATA SSD I got for it working though. I need to go back to it at some point... maybe the solution of getting an M.2 SATA to PATA adapter that worked in my PowerBook G4 Titanium would work on the PBG3.

I still have a stack of dead batteries for that WallStreet in one of my desk drawers in my office. It feels wrong to clear them out.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.5 GHz i9 11900K / 32GB RAM / TITAN V 12GB / 2TB Intel 7600p, 4TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 14TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / GeForce GT 650M 1GB / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:14 PM

View PostFrost, on 05 December 2020 - 02:40 AM, said:

A WallStreet!!!

Aptly named, my first trades of my life were buying AAPL in 2001 on a PowerBook G3 WallStreet.
Ha, same here, even down to the year. I told a friend I'd never buy stocks outside of a mutual fund because I didn't want to spend time doing research. He pointed out that I had been following Apple very closely for over 15 years. So I bought a little in 2001. I hope like me you held on to some of it.

(I've only bought one other stock since then, actually.)

www.mindthecube.com