44 replies to this topic

#1 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 05:49 PM

- Do developers like feral, aspyr etc. port the existing X64-catalina-catalog to AS/M1?
- Will these be engine-ports that come with an budget or free update?
- Or do we get as/m1 remaster for the full price?
- What about the pre x64 stuff... is it possible to port even the x32 catalog to AS/M1?

Thx
Doc
iMac 27" Late 2012 3,4Ghz i7 NT 680MX
Macbook Air Late 2010 320M
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#2 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:13 PM

A big factor is which publishers and developers allow the ferals and aspyrs of the world port windows x86 games to M1 ARM CPUS.

Just because there were some publishers in the past that had agreements with aspyr to let them port a game like jedi outcast 2 from PPC to X86 versions of the mac OS doesn't mean Aspyr is allowed to port it to M1 ARM binery of Big Sur.
What is a man?

#3 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 13 November 2020 - 01:59 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 12 November 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

- Do developers like feral, aspyr etc. port the existing X64-catalina-catalog to AS/M1?
- What about the pre x64 stuff... is it possible to port even the x32 catalog to AS/M1?

- Unless it's not very quick to do or the game is still selling lots to recoup costs, and also that performance isn't good enough in Rosetta, I doubt it.
- I'd guess free if they do it. But that's a pretty large if (see above).
- If a remastered version exists (in the PC/console worlds) but the Mac only has the vanilla version, maybe that's a possibility. Do you have specific games in mind?
- That's not directly related to AS, but to the OS. AS runs Big Sur only I believe, which is 64 bit only. End of story.

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3089 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2020 - 03:28 PM

As a hint, see which types of old 32-bit games got ported to 64-bit.
If the game performs well on Rosetta 2, it will probably never be ported. So instead of losing it right away, we'll lose it later on if/when Rosetta 2 is phased out.
If the game is a long-term seller, it is more likely. Especially if there's DLC to extend the sales indefinitely. Sims 3 is a perfect example. Planet Coaster would be another.

I doubt any publishers will do a paid upgrade though. Almost noone tries this. (MacSoft tried it with Halo, I believe.) Instead they look at whether the game is still selling well enough to justify supporting it for longer. (And whether the company has newer, hotter games they could be working on instead.)

If it didn't get the x64 treatement, there is very little reason to expect it to get ported now.
CodeWeavers reports Crossover runs on Rosetta 2, so there is that. Whether it has a future beyond that on Apple Silicon, not sure anyone knows.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#5 Homy

Homy

Recharable Bionic Buttocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:10 PM

Someone posted an answer from Feral on Macrumors:

"Thanks for your email, and apologies for the delay in reply as we asked our team for accurate information.

We do not have access to new Apple hardware before the street date, so have not yet tested any games on the new Macs. Rosetta 2 (included in macOS Big Sur) allows apps developed for older Intel-based Macs to run on the new Apple hardware. We expect our games to play without issue using Rosetta 2, and so there is currently no plan to update them to run natively on non-Intel Macs. If a game has an issue we will of course investigate.

We plan for all new releases to offer native support for both new Apple hardware and older Intel-based Macs. Our goal is to accommodate all Mac gamers whatever the chipset of their Apple computer."

#6 jeannot

jeannot

Taunting a Second Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:41 AM

I was expecting Feral to port some of their games. :crying: I'm not sure why they took the effort of porting many of them to Metal then. Porting to ARM is probably much easier than porting an openGL engine to Metal.
I'm disappointed that Apple has not built a closer relationship with Feral.I would have expected Apple to showcase big titles on their new Macs and collaborate with Feral to the porting of these titles to their "Silicon". Apple still doesn't understand Mac gaming. They keep saying that their new Macs will be great for games, but all we have in terms of AAA games is balder's gate.

I'm starting to lose faith in Feral. What was the last major game they ported to the Mac, SoTR? Not counting DLCs and remasters. There's nothing on the radar, and I was hoping this was due to Feral being busy porting their games to ARM. But that's not the case. So I wonder what these "new releases" that Feral refers to are.

#7 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:26 AM

Hm...that's not what I would have expected....

If there is "only" an integrated m1-gpu and there is no native arm-code the game will "run" on rosetta2, but will not benefit from the capabilities M1 really has. A native port should give us more performance, more features (on a lot of release some features are cut of from the windows version), so in short more fun.

if they do no x64-backward-catalog then they should spend the time of making Doom/Wolfenstein and some other AAA titles that did not have made the way on the mac in first place.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#8 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:35 AM

if I must play the back-catalog on rosetta2 then I will probably wait for the Mx-iMac.
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#9 galad

galad

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 06:40 AM

I would wait for some actual benchmarks. Rosetta 2 will probably be enough to run all the 64bit games out there, and the fact that the game uses Metal will help a lot too, OpenGL on Apple silicon is a wrapper around Metal and I don't know how performant it is.

#10 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:48 AM

View Postjeannot, on 14 November 2020 - 12:41 AM, said:

I was expecting Feral to port some of their games. :crying: I'm not sure why they took the effort of porting many of them to Metal then. Porting to ARM is probably much easier than porting an openGL engine to Metal.
I'm disappointed that Apple has not built a closer relationship with Feral.I would have expected Apple to showcase big titles on their new Macs and collaborate with Feral to the porting of these titles to their "Silicon".

That's also what I expected.

View Postdr.zeissler, on 14 November 2020 - 02:26 AM, said:

if they do no x64-backward-catalog then they should spend the time of making Doom/Wolfenstein and some other AAA titles that did not have made the way on the mac in first place.

Exactly. The Doom and Wolfenstein games have always been fantastic games with a lot of love for the Mac platform. However, now that it's all owned by Zenimax we can forget about our ports. It's just Windows, Xbox and Playstation and everyone else can go screw themselves.

#11 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:56 AM

.Apple still doesn't understand Mac gaming. They keep saying that their new Macs will be great for games, but all we have in terms of AAA games is balder's gate.

Although in all honesty I've been playing games on Macs for 30-odd years now, and I don't understand Mac gaming either. I joke, but only a little.

I suspect from Apple's point of view, the vast majority of Mac users (which I always thought sounds like a Scottish drug addict, but anyway) are covered by Apple Arcade and Catalyst/iOS gaming. That's disappointing for those of us which it doesn't, of course, but then again we always were in the minority.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8634 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:42 PM

View Postjos, on 14 November 2020 - 08:48 AM, said:

However, now that it's all owned by Zenimax we can forget about our ports.
Microsoft, actually. Which doesn't help either.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Wabbit Swayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:37 PM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 14 November 2020 - 02:26 AM, said:

A native port should give us more performance, more features (on a lot of release some features are cut of from the windows version), so in short more fun.

More performance yes, but not more features. Features cut out weren't because of performance issues, but because of lacking graphics support, especially before Metal because Apple's OpenGL implementation was trailing DirectX on features.

#14 ozzy

ozzy

Who?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 14 November 2020 - 04:39 PM

I'm disappointed that Apple has not built a closer relationship with Feral.I would have expected Apple to showcase big titles on their new Macs and collaborate with Feral to the porting of these titles to their "Silicon". Apple still doesn't understand Mac gaming. They keep saying that their new Macs will be great for games, but all we have in terms of AAA games is balder's gate.

I'm starting to lose faith in Feral. What was the last major game they ported to the Mac, SoTR? Not counting DLCs and remasters. There's nothing on the radar, and I was hoping this was due to Feral being busy porting their games to ARM. But that's not the case. So I wonder what these "new releases" that Feral refers to are.

To be fair to them they did just release Troy: Total War 4-5 weeks ago. Before that it might have been Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Their last couple of things have been XCOM 2 for iOS and Company of Heroes for iOS/Android (admittedly those are both pretty great games to have mobile). I think they’ve also started doing some Nintendo Switch porting.

Hopefully they have more in the works for Mac especially after spending so much time on the 64-bit/Metal transition

#15 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:08 PM

View Postozzy, on 14 November 2020 - 04:39 PM, said:

To be fair to them they did just release Troy: Total War 4-5 weeks ago. Before that it might have been Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Their last couple of things have been XCOM 2 for iOS and Company of Heroes for iOS/Android (admittedly those are both pretty great games to have mobile). I think they’ve also started doing some Nintendo Switch porting.

Hopefully they have more in the works for Mac especially after spending so much time on the 64-bit/Metal transition

Also Bioshock 2 Remastered.

#16 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 02:44 PM

I just played RiseOfTheTombRaider on my 2011MacMini-Server i7 with sonnet puck RX570...
If M1 has just the same power I will order one...!
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#17 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:30 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 14 November 2020 - 12:42 PM, said:

Microsoft, actually. Which doesn't help either.

You're right. I forgot there has been another acquisition, but as you said that doesn't help either.

#18 Homy

Homy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:33 AM

View Postdr.zeissler, on 15 November 2020 - 02:44 PM, said:

I just played RiseOfTheTombRaider on my 2011MacMini-Server i7 with sonnet puck RX570...
If M1 has just the same power I will order one...!

As stated here it is on par with Radeon Pro 570X in Metal and GFXBench: http://www.insidemac...=20#entry454209

#19 dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

Computing and Humanity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:52 AM

...waiting for barefeats...
MacMinis 2005 - 2011

#20 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:53 PM

Small indy developer Blizzard have announced native Apple Si support for WoW (available this week).

https://us.forums.bl...ember-16/722775
You must gather your party before venturing forth.