29 replies to this topic

#21 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 03:14 PM

Getting Doom 3 to work in Catalina. Based on the DHEWM3 project, macrumors forums user brainkilla compiled and posted a macOS Catalina version that allows you to play Doom 3 on Catalina, and it works well! I wish they could accomplish same for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#22 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:22 AM

View Postmindnoise, on 10 October 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

Avoid Doom 3 BFG like the plague, besides the graphics requirements are stupidly high there is no convenient way* to mod it, thanks to Terratexeltexturestreaming or whatever Id Tech Engine 4 uses for rendering.

The old DOOM 3 can be made to look at least as good with the right mods at a fraction of the system requirements.
The new BFG Missions are generelly considerd bad and not worth to be the reason to get it, besides it's optimzed for CONROLLERS, really?! and the new casual gameplay direction received lots of criticism from long term fans.

The best Mac version of Doom 3 is the AppStore version because it does not have any activation DRM.

Exactly. Anyone recommending this horrible BFG edition has absolutely no idea how Doom 3 should be played. Doom 3 is one of the best games ever made and this BFG edition just makes a terrible mess out of the whole game. Yeah, controllers... who the Hell thought it'd be a good idea to play Doom 3 with a controller? Those who play a game like Doom 3 using a controller are the same people playing the BFG edition of Doom 3. They call themselves gamers, even though they know nothing about it.

Indeed, the Mac App Store version of Doom 3 has always been the best version of Doom 3. It's just such a shame it's no longer available.

View PostUmarOMC1, on 09 May 2020 - 03:14 PM, said:

Getting Doom 3 to work in Catalina. Based on the DHEWM3 project, macrumors forums user brainkilla compiled and posted a macOS Catalina version that allows you to play Doom 3 on Catalina, and it works well! I wish they could accomplish same for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Wow, nice. Why do we have to depend on initiatives like these to be able to play Doom 3 on Catalina? Aspyr should've just updated this great game to 64-bit. Doom 3 no longer being available on the Mac App Store is a big loss.

#23 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4351 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:21 AM

View Postjos, on 10 May 2020 - 05:22 AM, said:

Wow, nice. Why do we have to depend on initiatives like these to be able to play Doom 3 on Catalina? Aspyr should've just updated this great game to 64-bit. Doom 3 no longer being available on the Mac App Store is a big loss.
Do you like to work for free?
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#24 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:29 AM

Exactly. Anyone recommending this horrible BFG edition has absolutely no idea how Doom 3 should be played. Doom 3 is one of the best games ever made and this BFG edition just makes a terrible mess out of the whole game. Yeah, controllers... who the Hell thought it'd be a good idea to play Doom 3 with a controller? Those who play a game like Doom 3 using a controller are the same people playing the BFG edition of Doom 3. They call themselves gamers, even though they know nothing about it.

You can still play with keyboard and mouse, so what's the big deal if they added controller support for those who like that? (Not me, I'm with you that playing an FPS is best with a mouse.)

#25 jos

jos

Forum Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:48 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 11 May 2020 - 02:29 AM, said:

You can still play with keyboard and mouse, so what's the big deal if they added controller support for those who like that? (Not me, I'm with you that playing an FPS is best with a mouse.)

It's not the added controller support that makes it such a terrible re-release of such a great game, but all of the other changes make it a terrible game. Just look up a list with all of the changes. Those changes are absolutely terrible and some of them are just outright ridiculous. For instance, one of the changes include: "Cut-scenes are no longer skippable." Why the Hell would you want to put time and effort into making cut-scenes unskippable? Why would anyone ever think: "Why did we ever give our customers the choice to either watch a cut-scene or skip it? This was such a mistake. We really have to change it, so in our re-release they will no longer be able to skip them." The same goes for the save system. Before you could just use an unlimited amount of saves, but in the BFG edition they've changed this, so there's only a limited number of saves. Why would you put all of these kinds of limitations in a game? It'd be the same as if this forum suddenly removed the feature to quote someone. You take something that works perfectly fine and out of nowhere you're going to make all kinds of changes to limit what your users can do.

I'm not criticising the BFG edition of Doom 3 because controller support was added, but I'm criticising both the BFG edition of Doom 3 because of the terrible changes made to such a fantastic game plus I'm criticising those who play first-person shooters with a controller.

#26 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:02 AM

I see. That looks really awful too (from Wikipedia): "forced auto-saves, and control scheme which forces the player to cycle through their weapons continuously in order to access a particular weapon".

This looks like something designed for console players, and for universality reasons the PC/Mac versions were castrated.

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17613 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

View Postjos, on 11 May 2020 - 08:48 AM, said:

It'd be the same as if this forum suddenly removed the feature to quote someone. You take something that works perfectly fine and out of nowhere you're going to make all kinds of changes to limit what your users can do.

Hmmmm... The BFG IMG has a certain poetic ring to it and removing the feature to quote someone is genius.  Thanks for this great idea!  The BFG IMG would be a great time to introduce in-forum purchases such as access to the Quote button, using more than 7 words in a post, unblocking the use of the delete key on ones keyboard, changing fonts.  That list can cover every text formatting feature.  Jos, you sir are Forum Member of the Month.  Can we hear a big round of applause for Jos?  Come on bring it in for Jos.  Anybody?  No?  Perfect.  Ima run with this idea.

Seriously though, unskippable cut scenes break a game for me.  I'm thinking of one game in particular, forget who made it or even the title of it.  It was a number of years ago, a QuiickTime event game about Jurassic park.  The random button mashing frenzy after a forced cut scene and lead up to the event became infuriating.  One I do remember was a knife fight in Far Cry 3 had the exact same mechanics, unskippable cut scene working to the fight, random button mashing... wash rinse repeat.  An otherwise stellar game ruined for me.  It got to the point when my much anticipated Mad Max came out and I was presented with a random button mashing fight I didn't wait around to see if the cut scene was going to be forced on me.  Same with a Call of Duty game, forget which title.

Thanks for the heads up.  I will avoid the BFG edition of Doom 3.  I've grown to loath unskippable cut scenes especially ones preceding random button mashing.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 May 2020 - 10:26 AM, said:

Seriously though, unskippable cut scenes break a game for me.  I'm thinking of one game in particular, forget who made it or even the title of it.  It was a number of years ago, a QuiickTime event game about Jurassic park.  The random button mashing frenzy after a forced cut scene and lead up to the event became infuriating.  

It was Telltale's Jurassic Park game. Never played that one because of the terrible reviews. QTEs were always the worst part of Telltale games. I don't know whose bright idea it was to make a game that's just a string of them.

Never got around to playing Doom 3, even though I had it on disc... Apparently BFG also nerfs the game, eliminating the need for the flashlight and changing the monster encounters. That's worse than the gripes already listed here.

At least they still sell the original. That's more than I can say for some other remasters.

#29 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:29 PM

I'm glad I had it already purchased so I could try this out. I remember owning the disc as well but I'm always trying to reduce clutter. I really do wish compiling solidly working macOS, Linux and 64-bit versions of everything was as simple as checking a radio button/including respective flags at compile. C'est la vie.
macOS 10.15.x/3.5GHZ 8-Core Xeon W-3223 2019 MacPro/48GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil 5700XT

macOS 10.15.x/Manjario KDE/3.7GHz i7-8700K Hackintosh/64GB RAM/Gigabyte RADEON VII
(my 'world of hurt' that my kids built in a day & is easier to maintain than Windows)

macOS 10.14.x/3.33GHz Xeon W3580 cMacPro (5,1 flash)/64GB RAM/PowerColor RedDevil RX580

#30 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:43 AM

View PostCougar, on 11 May 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

It was Telltale's Jurassic Park game. Never played that one because of the terrible reviews. QTEs were always the worst part of Telltale games. I don't know whose bright idea it was to make a game that's just a string of them.

Actually most Tell Tale games have easy basic QTEs. Jurassic Park stands as the notable exception.

You'd love Press X to Not Die, which is is basically a giant QTE. Or good old Dragon's Lair! :tongue: