WoW, Powerbooks, and RAM.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 r0ry

r0ry

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:25 PM

Hi guys, here's my situation.  I have a 15" Powerbook G4 (10.4.3), 1.67Ghz cpu, 1GB RAM, and 128MB video memory.  I play WoW a lot, and I get (what we Powerbook users have come to accept as) "decent" framerates while grinding or doing 5 man instances; about 15-25 fps, +/- 5.  But in PVP or larger raids (UBRS, ZG, MC) and of course Ironforge, my framerates are horrible; 15 max, usually hovering around 10, depending on how much action is taking place.

I think to continue being a serious player I'm going to have to make an upgrade of some sort, and I was wondering if upgrading from 1GB of RAM to 2GB or RAM would make a substancial difference? By substancial I mean a big enough performance increase to justify the cost of buying two 1GB sticks (I currently have two 512MB sticks).  Or would the difference be mundane?

I've always thought that it was the slow processor that bogged me down, and that more RAM wouldn't really change much, my friends seem to think otherwise though...

Can anyone here speak from experience?  What do you think makes the most "sense?"

Sorry if this has been posted before...

Thanks,

r0ry

#2 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:30 PM

I have the same hardware as you. I don't do much raiding with my PB. I'd agree on frame rates being good for most situations. IF does not count, cause frames always suck there. I've heard that more RAM is good for WoW but don't know. If you end up adding RAM and it helps, be sure to update your thread. :)

-Hunt'n

#3 r0ry

r0ry

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:18 AM

Will do...now to see if I can buy some RAM without blowing my life savings.

#4 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:50 AM

I have a 17" Powerbook with the same specs, except I kicked my memory up to 2GB. My highest level character is in the low 40s, so I haven't experienced any massive dungeon raids, but I rarely have trouble with large scale battles in Arathi Basin or in front of the bank in Ironforge. The only area I consistently have trouble with is the plaza near the bank in Orgrimmar.

#5 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

I just helped a friend upgrade his iBook from 512 to 1.25 GB of RAM and hard drive from 4200 to 7200 rpm, and between both improvements, he can actually run around that plaza in Ogrimmar with some fluidity. I think the more RAM you can throw at it, the better - his iBook handles Ogrimmar better than my G5 iMac, which has only 512 MB.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#6 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:14 PM

The RAM sweet spot for WoW is 1.5 GB.  That's enough to get rid of VM paging.  Anything above that will not result in any significant improvement, if any, unless you're running tasks in the background which use up a lot of RAM.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#7 SilentBobCDN

SilentBobCDN

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:49 AM

Yeah, i bumped my ram up to 1.25gb (got a gig chip for xmas), IF is at least 8-10fps now. but i dont do much pvp/raiding as of yet.

oh. 1.25ghz powerbook (first-gen AlBook, 15")

#8 Kerrum

Kerrum

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

a2daj, on December 27th 2005, 01:14 PM, said:

The RAM sweet spot for WoW is 1.5 GB.  That's enough to get rid of VM paging.  Anything above that will not result in any significant improvement, if any, unless you're running tasks in the background which use up a lot of RAM.

View Post

Like a2daj said, if you poke around the mac support forums on www.worldofwarcraft.com you'll see that having at least 1.5 GB of ram is recommened. Unless you can get a cheap deal on a pair of ram sticks, I'd buy one 1 GB stick and see how you like it. If you run other apps like iTunes and such in the background you might want to consider going to 2 GB total. Be sure to check Blizzards recommened video settings for maximum performance. Having one or two of those check boxes on or off can really make a different.

-Kerrum