Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

Cyan just released a trailer for their new game, Firmament:

https://www.youtube....h?v=9-DpB7tXs4g

I'm a bit worried at the "VR experience" thing but Cyan insisted when I bugged them that they hadn't committed yet to platforms.

I hope Obduction's success means they have a bit bigger budget this time around. Obduction was a great game, but still no Riven and parts of it felt rushed.

#2 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:45 PM

Love the trailer. I kind of hope they go VR-only — or at least VR-first — just to see what the team can do when they're focused entirely on that type of experience.

Designing for VR is totally different to designing for normal screens, so it may benefit the game to have the environments, puzzles, and interface be built from the ground up for headsets. (Also, I talked to Rand about this back when Obduction was coming out; will be interesting to chat with him again about world building and puzzle design in VR after they've worked a bit more on Firmament.)
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://secrethistoryofmacgaming.com/ - out March 22 2018 in the UK and online

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:14 AM

Looks interesting.

Making it VR exclusive for a time could work for them. The pool of players is smaller but they'd get a lot of buzz within that pool. Plus, the right game can speed up adoption of new technologies.

Interesting that they are calling it a VR "experience". Is that just marketing? Or could it be a walking simulator instead of a more traditional adventure game?
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:26 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 02 March 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

Interesting that they are calling it a VR "experience". Is that just marketing? Or could it be a walking simulator instead of a more traditional adventure game?

This article has more info: http://www.spokesman...ment-of-new-vi/

It's a traditional adventure game, but "built for the ground up" for VR (they're going to have a VR demo at GDC.) Obduction had VR bolted on after the fact and apparently it wasn't the best. Someone from Cyan on Reddit told me that they hope the game comes to as many platforms as possible, so I don't think it will be solely a VR game, as long as Occulus doesn't fund them.

I hope they can get the financial backing. Strange that they aren't doing a Kickstarter, but perhaps this game is more ambitious and they need more money. (But in that case, why not both, like Psychonauts 2?)

#5 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:42 AM

Speaking about VR, it'd be nice if we had at least one VR game running on macOS. At WWDC they mentioned one (space pirate trainer), but there's still no sign of it on the Mac...

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8257 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:32 AM

View Postjeannot, on 05 March 2018 - 12:42 AM, said:

Speaking about VR, it'd be nice if we had at least one VR game running on macOS. At WWDC they mentioned one (space pirate trainer), but there's still no sign of it on the Mac...
It‘s difficult to release a VR game when there still is no actual VR support. Apple has yet to flick the switch for official eGPU support in macOS, Valve has yet to finalize the Mac version of SteamVR, and Vive has yet to release Mac drivers for their device.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 March 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

It‘s difficult to release a VR game when there still is no actual VR support. Apple has yet to flick the switch for official eGPU support in macOS, Valve has yet to finalize the Mac version of SteamVR, and Vive has yet to release Mac drivers for their device.
Recent iMacs can run Steam VR with the Vive just fine, AFAIK.

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8257 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

View Postjeannot, on 05 March 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

Recent iMacs can run Steam VR with the Vive just fine, AFAIK.
Development versions maybe, but nothing that is available for the (macOS) end customers.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

Ohhh goddd check out Cyan's Twitter feed. Something new Myst-related is coming!

My money is on the TV series finally getting off the ground.

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

Interesting teaser image. A pen with "PAPER MYST" lettering on it (a joke, Paper Mate is a brand of ballpoint), a Myst book, and a post-it with the number 25 on it.

Hey, it turns out 2018 is the 25th anniversary of Myst (1993)! So I'm guessing a 25th anniversary edition or event. Maybe the game will be put on the web for free? Maybe a new VR version?
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#11 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

They announced it. They've been acquiring the rights of all the Myst games, even the ones they didn't make (III and IV) which aren't currently available for download, and are releasing new updated versions for Windows 10 (ew). They'll release a physical edition with some sort of "artifact."

Kinda disappointing, but slightly more interesting than Myst VR. I'll probably buy the physical thing if I have a job by then.

I wonder what the "artifact" will be. Myst Book with LCD panel inside? Whark model? Authentic working D'ni Timepiece...?

#12 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:32 AM

View PostCougar, on 16 March 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

I wonder what the "artifact" will be. Myst Book with LCD panel inside? Whark model? Authentic working D'ni Timepiece...?

Or Miller brothers used underwear? :P

#13 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

The lack of Mac versions is disheartening. Many of the Mysts are already on Steam, but only for Windows. I'm glad they'll be refreshing them, but still.

I wonder if they'll be improving the resolution of the graphics at all? I'd love a high-res version of the "marble" from Myst III.
www.mindthecube.com

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 17 March 2018 - 12:32 AM, said:

Or Miller brothers used underwear? :P

You must be confusing this edition with the Japanese edition.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:00 PM

The 25th collector's edition is announced, and it's better than I could have hoped for, albeit predictably expensive. Against better financial sense, most of the goodies will be mine. (Internal justification: Gehn's inkwell and pen is functional! I can use it to...write letters and stuff!)

Here's the note on Mac versions:

Myst started out as a Mac-first title, and over the years, Cyan has always released each of our games for the Mac. But for various reasons, maintaining some of those Mac titles now means rebuilding them from scratch - an option that, as a small indie studio, takes time or resources we just don’t have. And for games that were produced by other studios, even that option may not be possible. Although most games in this Anniversary Collection are not compatible with MacOS, Cyan will continue to work to update or rebuild some of the Mac titles, and explore other options to try to make more of the games playable again on the Mac in the future.

Understandable, but sad, especially because Rand Miller is a Mac user himself. (He's rocking a MacBook in D'ni at the end of the video, haha.)

#16 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2604 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

The core of the collector’s edition will be a Myst Linking Book. The Bookmaker tier book will have a die-cut “window” through which you can see the art on the game DVD sleeves. At the Maintainer tier and above, the book will include an active 800 x 480 digital screen with video fly-throughs from the games.

Maintainer tier starts at $169. I would love that screen, but I don't think I can justify it. Seems like I could fake one up using an old iPad. :-)

At the $1000 level, 25 backers each get an actual sketch from the making of Riven. Not a copy, the actual hand drawn sketch.  That tier is already sold out, naturally. And it looks like they are going to make their quarter-million-dollar goal in less than a day.

Good for them! I am sad about the Mac versions, though not surprised.
www.mindthecube.com

#17 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

As part of the Kickstarter, Steam depots for Mac versions of Myst: ME, Riven, and Uru appeared on SteamDB today. They (and the rest of the games) should be out by the end of August--GOG too!