#21 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8483 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

I think Mac performance will be the least of the games' issues: if you look at the videos of the games on the Apple Arcade webpage, it's pretty obvious they are all graphically fairly simple. I wouldn't go so far as to say they have been developed with the capabilities of mobile devices in mind from the get-go (more on that below), but it's certainly didn't hurt. None of the games are really triple-ay material.

I think the requirement to have the games launch on desktop and mobile platforms with identical versions at the same time is why neither Feral nor Aspyr are on board. Just look how much time it took Feral to adapt their ports of desktop games to iOS, and how limited the iOS version of Civ VI is in comparison to the desktop version.

And lastly, the more I read about the games coming to Apple Arcade, the more I want to call bullpopsnizzle on Apple's claim of exclusivity. I already mentioned above that Overland and The Pathless have already been announced for other platforms, but quite of bunch of the others are as well, including Hot Lava, The Bradwell Conspiracy, Sayonara Wild Hearts, HitchHiker, Yaga, Projection: First Light, (Team) Sonic Racing… the list goes on and on. Apple does not even have a valid claim on store exclusivity on the Mac for these games, as many of those that have a desktop version of Steam are in fact listed to also come to macOS there.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#22 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2314 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

The iPad version of Civ VI is the full enchilada. How is it limited? The graphics are toned down (though you can fiddly them up) and the Rise and Fall expansion isn't yet available but other than that...
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8483 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 26 March 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

The iPad version of Civ VI is the full enchilada. How is it limited? The graphics are toned down (though you can fiddly them up) and the Rise and Fall expansion isn't yet available but other than that...
Exactly that: reduced graphical detail, which you cannot crank up to desktop level, and both major expansions are missing.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8483 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:59 PM

This whole "exclusivity" claim apparently is more serious than it originally appeared. According to a recently published article, Apple is said to have learned from the "best" such as Epic and Microsoft, and secured actual timed exclusivity for the games featured on Apple Arcade, i.e. they will be available for a couple of months only from Apple and nowhere else.

And this actually seems to be the case. For instance, Apple has apparently - and ironically - out-Epiced Epic Games when they have snatched up The Pathless. The game originally was supposed to be released on the Epic Store and even already had a store page there. That store page has completely vanished (it's still mentioned to come to the EGS on the game's website - the link leads nowhere, though).

And a bunch of other games, like Outlands or Hot Lava, which had fairly specific release dates on Steam, only give quite vague dates now.

#25 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4399 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

Given I never buy a game on release (or within even a year).... 'timed exclusives' are ok with me. Because I never pay full price for a game, and they dont generally become 'complete' and on sale until a year later with a GOTY edition and so forth.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#26 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4174 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 20 April 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

Given I never buy a game on release (or within even a year).... 'timed exclusives' are ok with me. Because I never pay full price for a game, and they dont generally become 'complete' and on sale until a year later with a GOTY edition and so forth.
I don't think I've bought a game in 2019 yet. You get free good games regularly everywhere these days, for some reason.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#27 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:54 AM

I have bought some (too) many games in 2019, even today because cdkeys' Easter sale is too good to pass. But I have such a backlog that, like Frigidman, I don't care about timed exclusives. All games I buy are a few years old, GOTY or equivalent when that exists, all patched up, and cheap (usually €5 or less; it's very rare when I reach €10, like today for Fallout 4 GOTY).

#28 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4174 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:37 PM

It is my plan to not buy any games in 2019, no matter how good a deal it is. The games will always become as cheap or cheaper again, and, well, backlog enough through 2023.

And I want a Nintendo Switch, and about 30 games for it. But that will likely wait until the Switch 2 arrives.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#29 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2833 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 21 April 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

It is my plan to not buy any games in 2019, no matter how good a deal it is.
I did that 2 years ago, and although I broke down a couple times I largely kept to it all year. It worked great, and the following year I found myself buying fewer games as well. It feels good to see the Mac backlog go down, particular when some of them are games that will break post-Mojave.

I've bought more games in the last 5 months though than in the previous 25 months, and that has got to stop.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#30 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8483 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:24 AM

Now that Apple Arcade has launched (at least on iOS platforms), has someone given it a try? I'm yet refraining from installing iOS 13, so it will be a while until I could gather first hand experiences.

The price is reasonable with $5 a month and most other gaming sites seem to be quite taken by it. The claims of exclusivity – no matter if timed or otherwise – appear to have been fairly exaggerated, though, as a number of showcase titles (Outlands, Hot Lava, Sayonara Wild Hearts) are also available elsewhere.

#31 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4174 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:03 AM

The price is really good, but no, I have no plans for it. 1. I don't have a controller to use with my AppleTV, and 2. I have an enormeous backlog filled already, which have been (more or less at least) selected based on what I like to play. Some of the games do look interesting though.

Maybe when I retire. :P

#32 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4399 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:22 AM

These are the games Tuncer is sporting on Apple Arcade:
https://www.shiftyeyegames.com/games/

Casual stuff it looks (so far).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#33 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

When Manifold Garden comes out, I plan on going through that and Sayonara Wild Hearts on the trial (on my AppleTV with XBOX controller). Too much of a backlog to actually subscribe though.