What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1923 replies to this topic

#1901 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1674 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:30 AM

Microsoft’s is actually a really good deal. Play $2 and get access to brand new games like Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds. At that price I wouldn’t mind not owning since I never replay games. I’d strongly consider it if I didn’t have a backlog that reached the moon.

#1902 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4385 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:19 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 10 September 2019 - 01:51 AM, said:

Because you clearly enjoy them?

There are too few to enjoy. Its cheaper buying them directly (the ones I want to even bother playing), than to pay $15/mo forever just so I can possibly hop into one. I just don't understand game subscriptions when theres so few choices.

Now something like getting access to 500+ games for ten bucks a month... that makes more sense.

Its not as bad as Adobe though.........

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1903 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

View PostCougar, on 10 September 2019 - 06:30 AM, said:

Microsoft's is actually a really good deal. Play $2 and get access to brand new games like Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds. At that price I wouldn't mind not owning since I never replay games. I'd strongly consider it if I didn't have a backlog that reached the moon.

$2 where? Here it's only for two months, then that becomes 15 per month, don't get fooled by marketing tricks. The PC only game pass will be $10 a month once out of beta.

#1904 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

Bing Bong rewards baby. I haven't paid for Xbox Live for years, and now have Game Pass through 2021.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#1905 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4160 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

Finished up Broken Sword 5. Still the most gorgeous looking adventure game I've ever played! Great animations, very nice voice acting, good dialog writing. Unfortunately I do think the plot was a bit too uninteresting, especially in the first part, and the ending was just too over the top.. Also, the first half of the game dragged on way too long, and lacked interesting and complex puzzles. Fortunately the second part had some more interesting and complicated puzzles, and the story was more interesting I think. But I do feel that the game needed more puzzles to work out, and most of those that were there were either too easy or way too hard.

I think the most annoying thing about the game was that while the animations were really good, you always had to wait for characters to finish their animations, before you could interact with stuff. This made the game go quite slowly, which I could have been without. For a game where you need to interact with many things, and try out MANY combinations, this became a huge time waster. But otherwise I didn't encounter no bugs. I should mention that you can't tab out of the game, so that was also pretty annoying for when you actually did become stuck, since you had to quit in order to look up a walkthrough. :P

That being said, I did enjoy it, but I do feel it could have been a bit better. If there ever is a Broken Sword 6 I will play it for sure though, because I really like the main characters, and as said, it looked *amazing*. In the end, 3/5 from me.

Next up, a real classic I never got around to finish back when I was a kid: Syndicate!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1906 jos

jos

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 15 September 2019 - 01:22 PM, said:

I should mention that you can't tab out of the game, so that was also pretty annoying for when you actually did become stuck, since you had to quit in order to look up a walkthrough. :P

Isn't that the perfect job for your iPad?

#1907 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4160 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:42 PM

View Postjos, on 16 September 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

Isn't that the perfect job for your iPad?
Yes it is. I did end up using my iPhone at the end, instead of quitting the game repeatedly.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1908 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

I must have looked at this thread last night, because I dreamed Charles Cecil demoed Broken Sword 6 to me and some other random people. The game had combat, which he demonstrated to us by having us play with wooden swords and shields. It also had a portrait mode on iOS, with the unused portions of the screen taken up by a Power Macintosh 5200 LC so it looked like you were playing on one. My dream-self is crazy...

#1909 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2818 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider, except for the Croft Manor mini-story which I'll probably knock off tomorrow. I did the story, plus all the tombs and caves. Not going to bother getting all the collectibles.

Gorgeous graphics, as usual. I enjoyed the gameplay as much as the previous one. Story was okay, though I got tired of it by the end. Final sequence was combat heavy, which is not the series' strong suit. Like the Batman games, I enjoyed it enough to want to play the next one ("Shadow"), but not before a long break.

This may be off base, but it seems to me "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" would have been a better title for this one, given that Lara's relationship to her archeologist father motives some of the story. Then they could have called the final game of the trilogy "Rise of the Tomb Raider".

Haven't picked my next game yet.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#1910 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2818 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - This was a mistake. I got it because it was on sale, and as usual I fired it up so that the publisher of the Mac version would get credit for the sale (Steam has a secret formula involving which platform gets the first N minutes of play.) But in this case the Mac and PC versions have the same publisher. Plus I got it from GOG, and I don't even know if their formula is like Steam's.

Neither of those was the mistake though. The mistake was thinking I could fire up a deep and pretty RPG like this for 10 minutes without thinking "why not roll up a character", and then starting act 1 "just to see how it looks". Now I'm "just seeing how act 2 ends", and will then "take a quick look at act 3".

Untitled Goose Game - This was not a mistake. I saw the trailer, showed it to my daughter, and we immediately bought it and played it together on her Switch. Big thumbs up. There is a Mac version too, though I think its exclusive to Epic for now. Steam says they'll get it "late 2020"(!)
I'd say more but given the reviews and memes already out there, no one on the internet will be able to avoid hearing about this one.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#1911 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4160 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:49 PM

Fired up Syndicate Plus. Was immediately confused by some very non-explained settings that I got in the beginning of the game. After some google, I *think* it was asking me how I wanted to setup sound in DOS? I don't know. I had sound after doing it, so I guess I won the intro.

Anyway.

Intro movie is really awesome! It might be rendered in 24 by 24 pixels or thereabout, but it really sets the mood (Don't be spoiled by the link, it looks way worse in the DOS version, which GOG serves us)! Played the first mission, or really, failed, the first mission. Then I read the manual (Thanks GOG!), and understood things way better (I haven't read a manual in ten years, so that was fun! It was like a tutorial, but without the trying part!). Then replayed mission 1, and then finished mission 2, and had a blast! It is funny how movies are rendered so lowly, and menus are 48 by 48 pixels or something, while the actual game looks really good for what it is.

I will probably be having a good time with it, but I also played it a lot as a young kid, so nostalgia sets in and demands I finish the game (I had no idea what I was doing back then, other than shooting things up).

#1912 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6199 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 01 October 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

Untitled Goose Game - This was not a mistake. I saw the trailer, showed it to my daughter, and we immediately bought it and played it together on her Switch. Big thumbs up. There is a Mac version too, though I think its exclusive to Epic for now. Steam says they'll get it "late 2020"(!)
I'd say more but given the reviews and memes already out there, no one on the internet will be able to avoid hearing about this one.

Good old Epic, shelling out the Fortnite bucks to bring the experience of console exclusivity to desktop computers.

I used to be a big fan of Unreal/Gears Epic. Fortnite Epic sucks.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#1913 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:54 AM

but but but m'uh steam rreeeeeeeeeeeeee

Where were the complaints when everything was a "steam exclusive". :whistling:
Enterprise (iMac18,2): i7 @ 3.6 GHz || 16 GB RAM || Radeon Pro 560 || 2TB Micron + 6TB Toshiba
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#1914 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4385 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 22 October 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

Where were the complaints when everything was a "steam exclusive". :whistling:

Maybe because there wasn't anything that consolidated installs and games before. In all honesty, Steam is a big part of why I switched to PC gaming more because with steam it was so much more easy to get games and installed and 'working' ....... vs what it used to be before them, a total mix of cockeyed installers and broken nonsense and hoops to jump through just to get a single game running right.

Cant think of any 'competition' when steam sat down and snagged up tons of games and did exclusives (I dont even recall any exclusives, unless it was just publishers not wanting to bother with stupid self-installers anymore, so they only posted it to steam out of ease of use).

But now... Epic is trying to fight steam and the massive user base of steam by taking games and going exclusive with them. When there is little to no point in doing so especially since the Epic app, store and installer/manager is a total piece of crap (who wants to go backward?). Well, the only point being greed and monopolistic behavior. Steam may host all the games, but they still let stores sell their games and be competitive with pricing. Epic is like "no no no! no one else, only we can, we drive the price at whatever we want, and you cant do anything about it!" ... monopoly at its best.

Getting back on topic.... I been doing me some zombie killen in Dying Light. Pretty smooth game, runs at high details 120fps locked, and has lots of action, and fluid control. Jumping about, sliding, leaping, smashing, even the way you move the mouse, character, and swing weapons controls how you go about attacking zombies.

I've found the Bow to be especially nice, in that headshots take a lot of zombies down, AND you can yank your arrow right out and not have to worry too much about running out of ammo (unlike guns, which are loud and draw in some nasty critters... and run out of bullets).

Decent fun game.... for a sandbox zombie flick.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1915 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:32 AM

Epic entering the storefront market is literally the opposite of a monopoly but you do you.

#1916 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:19 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 22 October 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

Epic entering the storefront market is literally the opposite of a monopoly but you do you.

Nobody is complaining that they’re entering the market. In fact, it’s a good thing. Steam needs a swift kick in the rear. The problem is that they’re strong-arming you into using their service. “Want this game? Too bad, your only option is us.” That is the aspect of this that is monopolistic. This presents two problems: one, it deincentivizes  them into improving their service because they can rely on their users choosing their service because they want to play that game, not on the merits on the service alone. And because they have no incentive to make their service  better, neither does Steam.

And before you mention it, no, this doesn’t excuse Valve from requiring you to play their own games on Steam. All games should be available everywhere. But since it’s their own product, it is slightly more understandable. On the Spectrum of Badness, it’s slightly more to the left.

#1917 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4385 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:30 AM

Pretty much .... if they are the 'only source' then there is no point in improving themselves to actually become a real competitor (look how bad Origin is). Steam needs a real contender.... get it off its butt and improve in some areas.

If Epic had the balls to join the fight... provide external sources with Epic Keys... (uplay, steam, gog all do... some origin)... Epic would actually be someone to pay attention too.

-Fm [1oM7]

#1918 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:32 AM

It's not a monopoly, publishers and customers have multiple storefront options. More options than other products in other industries. Nobody is strong arming anyone. They've incentives developers and publishers with financial favorable. These are market forces at their finest. Customers can choose not to purchase from Epic and if developers and publishers determine it's not financially beneficial for them to have exclusive or timed exclusives on Epic's storefront they won't.

Bear in mind I think Epic is complete popsnizzlee but it's not a monopoly in any sense of the word.

#1919 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:37 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 22 October 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

It's not a monopoly, publishers and customers have multiple storefront options. More options than other products in other industries. Nobody is strong arming anyone. They've incentives developers and publishers with financial favorable. These are market forces at their finest. Customers can choose not to purchase from Epic and if developers and publishers determine it's not financially beneficial for them to have exclusive or timed exclusives on Epic's storefront they won't.

Bear in mind I think Epic is complete popsnizzlee but it's not a monopoly in any sense of the word.

It’s not a monopoly for the publisher or developer, true. But for the customer it absolutely is.

View PostFrigidman™, on 22 October 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

If Epic had the balls to join the fight... provide external sources with Epic Keys... (uplay, steam, gog all do... some origin)... Epic would actually be someone to pay attention too.

You mean like this? https://www.ign.com/...e-humble-bundle

I agree that’s a good thing but it doesn’t solve the problem. You’re still required to use their client to play your games.

#1920 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

Before installing Catalina I'm revisiting old favorites: Halo, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life 2, Portal 1 & 2, Left 4 Dead 2.

It's surprisingly emotional. I was at MacWorld '99 when Steve previewed Halo.

I'm thinking of delaying Catalina for quite a while just so my kids can enjoy Portal.
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.