11 replies to this topic

#1 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:26 PM

In 2000 Aspyr Media and Westlake Interactive said they were going to port this game here. It was in Aspyr Medias New Titles here and they had a Video posted ( I never got to see it) It was put on hold here. It was said here that the odds of it ever "leaving the garage" is really slim. What i want to know is why it was put on hold, and if it or newer or older versions of the series could be ported. Aspyr has to me seen harder games to port like The Sims 2 and Doom 3. Also here is another racing game here that was not ported Midnight Racing. Is the mac doomed to never see a good racing game( other then Colin McRae Rally 2005)? P.S. I had to type this whole thing over since Safari crashed! :blink:

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#2 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:30 AM

The porting companies were going through some hard times before OSX came out and products were being announced and promptly canceled quite a bit(fine, I am going over the top a bit here, but there were a few titles canceled).  Macplay announced four games at once in 2001/2002 and later canceled two of the(a fighter sim and Starfleet Command II  :angry: ).    

In general I wouldn't dwell on it too much.  Also, don't say the Mac has no racing titles, lest Immersion Racing, Redline, Ford Racing 2 or any other of the indie developer's racing games get offended.  

Mandrake628

#3 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:10 AM

I didn't mean to come about like that, but I would like more casual racers to play. Redline isn't out yet and ford racing was a good game but it is limited since you can't add any more cars or tracks( unless I was looking in the wrong places).

#4 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:15 AM

Not exactly on topic, but perhaps close... I was wondering whatever happened to the port of EA's Battlezone announced at MW(?) '99; a wonderful futuristic tank game from early '98 sharing nothing with the arcade game but the [licensed] title. Just saw a reference to it earlier this evening, but no info of it ever being released, only announced.

#5 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:22 AM

Well, I must agree with Simsbaby and disagree with Mandrake on one thing:
There are hardly any good racing games for the Mac. Immersion, Ford Racing etc. are just arcade games that have nothing to do with racing. They don't come anywhere near simulating the physical behaviour of a car. The only real racing game that was ported to OSX was Nascar 2002/2003, but that one is nowhere to be found in any store. Unfortunately, windows users have it much better, with GPL, GTR and LFS.
But good stuff is coming our way: CMR is coming for the mac, and it at least has believable physics, -it's not GPL or GTR, but it gives you a decent shot at it-, and Ruud van Gaal, developer of Racer, is currently working on a new OSX version of Racer. It's more of a simulation, but racing can be done, online and against ai.
O, and it's free, and you don't need as PM G5 with X800 for it either.
Check it out on the forums of: http://www.rscnet.org/, or :
http://forum.rscnet....splay.php?f=111

#6 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:30 PM

Gerwin, on August 2nd 2005, 03:22 AM, said:

Well, I must agree with Simsbaby and disagree with Mandrake on one thing:
There are hardly any good racing games for the Mac. Immersion, Ford Racing etc. are just arcade games that have nothing to do with racing. They don't come anywhere near simulating the physical behaviour of a car. The only real racing game that was ported to OSX was Nascar 2002/2003, but that one is nowhere to be found in any store. Unfortunately, windows users have it much better, with GPL, GTR and LFS.
But good stuff is coming our way: CMR is coming for the mac, and it at least has believable physics, -it's not GPL or GTR, but it gives you a decent shot at it-, and Ruud van Gaal, developer of Racer, is currently working on a new OSX version of Racer. It's more of a simulation, but racing can be done, online and against ai.
O, and it's free, and you don't need as PM G5 with X800 for it either.
Check it out on the forums of: http://www.rscnet.org/, or :
http://forum.rscnet....splay.php?f=111

View Post

Yes, GPL (Grand Prix Legends), by Papyrus- the same dev house as made Nascar 2002 & -3, not coincidentally; the best racing dev house ever and disbanded this last year :( - is a fantastic sim from '98 that has such a fanatical following that not only were many fan-made improvements and mods made for it, but an entire updated demo incorporating many of them turned out last year by Blackhole Motorsports.

One could only dream of that level of support on Mac; but that's already a niche part of a large market, not a niche of a niche. Small marketshare has its price.

#7 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

Gerwin what is your name there, Mine is Mini Cooper Racer

#8 sillek

sillek

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:03 PM

www.racer.nl is the website for Racer, but it's seriously outdated.

#9 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:05 AM

simsbaby, on August 2nd 2005, 10:21 PM, said:

Gerwin what is your name there, Mine is Mini Cooper Racer

View Post

Mine is just Gerwin.

#10 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:08 AM

sillek, on August 3rd 2005, 04:03 AM, said:

www.racer.nl is the website for Racer, but it's seriously outdated.

View Post

It is, but currently it's the only place where you can get a (old) version of Racer that runs on OSX. The problem is that all those new and shiny cars don't work on that version :(
But on the RSC Racer forum there is a thread about the the OSX version that Ruud van Gaal is currently testing, and it looks like we can expect it any week now.

#11 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:09 AM

Batcat, on August 2nd 2005, 08:30 PM, said:

Yes, GPL (Grand Prix Legends), by Papyrus- the same dev house as made Nascar 2002 & -3, not coincidentally; the best racing dev house ever and disbanded this last year :( - is a fantastic sim from '98 that has such a fanatical following that not only were many fan-made improvements and mods made for it, but an entire updated demo incorporating many of them turned out last year by Blackhole Motorsports.

One could only dream of that level of support on Mac; but that's already a niche part of a large market, not a niche of a niche. Small marketshare has its price.

View Post

GPL and GTR are the only reasons I still have a PC at home with windows XP and 98 running on it.

#12 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:59 AM

simsbaby, on July 31st 2005, 07:26 PM, said:

It was said here that the odds of it ever "leaving the garage" is really slim. What i want to know is why it was put on hold, and if it or newer or older versions of the series could be ported.

View Post

IIRC, the problem was that there was a library, or multiple libraries which Aspyr needed by the necessary parties within EA wouldn't give the source to them.  I think anything from EA Canada has a very slim chance of seeing a Mac port.  From what I've heard one of the upper management guys hates Macs (purely based on rumors... may not be true).
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM