10 replies to this topic

#1 bluenova

bluenova

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:10 AM

I've just bougth Links LS 2000 and can't get the second (of 3) CD's to load.  Having a G4 eMac that (by far) satisfies all the game's system requirements, I don't understand what I've got to do to get this running and take the course downloads from the CD. THe first of the 3 CD set downloaded without a hitch, but it's been a no go ever since.  Is there something that I'm missing here?  I'm running OS X, in general, but I've got the Classic 9 preinstalled that came with the machine in the first place.
I'll need to be walked thru this because I'm no pro with a computer...but I'm sure willing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:11 AM

I used to love that game. "That's a gimmie"

Have never played it on OS X. Not even sure if it will run. What happens when you try to launch it? Do you get an error message or what?

#3 bluenova

bluenova

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:13 AM

Hey,  

I just got this game on eBay and have been wantin' to play forever.  It didn't come with any paperwork and all I got were the 3 CD's.  My eMac takes the 1st CD with no problem and opens it just fine in OS 9.  There's nowhere that says anything or tells me where to "click on" to download the 2nd disc (which, apparently, has all the course information), so I tried palying with the 1st CD info that was already on my hard drive.  When I click on  "Qick start" I get a couple prompts that tell me there's no courses and give me a couple prompts on puttin' in the 2nd CD.  I do this and then my puter doesn't recognize that it's even in.  Trying another angle, and after going thru the options segment of the 1st istalled  CD's menu, I get a prompt that says reinsert installation CD.....so, I do...and than, with all the appropriate click cliks, I get an error message that says:

Error Installing  A:\ani\palmer30.ls

And, that's what I got.  Any help would be appreciated because, currently, this ain't no gimme and I just got burned with an eBay purchase of Doom 3 which ran so slow& ugly it gave me a migraine.

Mike

btw.   I've got a Ighz G4 & a gig of memory w/ 7500 radeon.

#4 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:15 PM

bluenova, on July 21st 2005, 04:13 PM, said:

Hey, 

I just got this game on eBay and have been wantin' to play forever.  It didn't come with any paperwork and all I got were the 3 CD's.  My eMac takes the 1st CD with no problem and opens it just fine in OS 9.  There's nowhere that says anything or tells me where to "click on" to download the 2nd disc (which, apparently, has all the course information), so I tried palying with the 1st CD info that was already on my hard drive.  When I click on  "Qick start" I get a couple prompts that tell me there's no courses and give me a couple prompts on puttin' in the 2nd CD.  I do this and then my puter doesn't recognize that it's even in.  Trying another angle, and after going thru the options segment of the 1st istalled  CD's menu, I get a prompt that says reinsert installation CD.....so, I do...and than, with all the appropriate click cliks, I get an error message that says:

Error Installing  A:\ani\palmer30.ls

And, that's what I got.  Any help would be appreciated because, currently, this ain't no gimme and I just got burned with an eBay purchase of Doom 3 which ran so slow& ugly it gave me a migraine.

Mike
btw.   I've got a Ighz G4 & a gig of memory w/ 7500 radeon.

View Post

Not sure I can help you with the Links issue. You might ask the moderator (a friendly chap called Battle Cat) to move this topic to the Troubleshooting forum where you may get a better response.

So has the installer put a Links folder in your applications folder? When you put CD 2 into the machine does it 'mount' or appear on your desktop? If it does try opening it to see if there is a separate installer on there. This might install the course info but again I'm not sure if this game will run in Classic mode. If its golf that you have a hunkering for I'd suggest checking out Tiger Woods 2003. There is a new version coming out soon but again check the system requirements. There's more info here:
http://www.aspyr.com...p/mac/complete/

With regards to Doom3 I certainly feel your pain cause it hardly runs on my G4 system either. Unless you have a G5 then it won't run at all well. The minimum requirements printed on the box should have given you some warning. There have been many discussions here about the peformance so I'd suggest having a look at these forums before any future purchases.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:22 AM

monkeyphonix, on July 21st 2005, 07:15 PM, said:

Not sure I can help you with the Links issue. You might ask the moderator (a friendly chap called Battle Cat) to move this topic to the Troubleshooting forum where you may get a better response.
Sure I can do that.  It's not getting much of a response in Racing & Sports.  Let's get this guy some help.  Buckle up boys and brace yourself for the acceleration, I'm moving this thread to Troubleshooting!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 bluenova

bluenova

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:00 PM

Now THIS is my kinda forum......................

#7 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:34 PM

bluenova, on July 22nd 2005, 07:00 PM, said:

Now THIS is my kinda forum......................

View Post

LOL!

So has anyone played Links 2000 in OS X? Does it run in classic? Quite curious myself now.

#8 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:54 AM

have you tried making an image of each of the discs, this would achieve a few things - allow you to have all of the discs mounted, and also let you know if the 2nd disc is corrupted in some way as it willl probably fail to image.

tiger woods is better though
iMac 2011 27" 3.2ghz and 1 gb 6970m

#9 bluenova

bluenova

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:09 AM

I tried the dmg thing and it just won't go.  In addition, I wrote "Green Dragon" (they've got something to do with creating the game) and was told there had been problems with a lotta folks getting the game to install.  I'm thinkin' that my os falls between the cracks and in order to get it to run I've gotta have an older machine w/a g3...yet, whadda I know.  Frankly, I'm sorta feed up with the deal and have taken an interest in what's been said regarding the Tiger Woods game.  Why is it better?  Will it run smoothly on my g4 or is it too complex?  What about Links Championship Edition which was released, I understand, in 2002?
On another topic, I just got Call of Duty (offa eBay again...which is startin' to spook me with my lack of/oversold/unrealistic spec research and knee jerk buying because I keep getting games that won't play...ie. Doom 3, for example) and I can't get the Stalingrad portion of the CD to play.  Why is THAT?  I can get the first series of SP mode to run (the 101st airbourne thing) and it's great.....but, after giving me the an intro to the Stalingrad portion, it just goes into a viscious loop of sorts.  I do, however, find I have some something called "console window" that drops down and shows me I've got errors, but don't have a clue as to what it means or how to fix it to get the Stalingrad deal to go.  Is this a common malady with CoD...or am I up a creek again?
Bummer..too the max.

M

#10 bluenova

bluenova

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:22 AM

Great news...I've fixed the issue with my Links LS 2000 golf game by doing a Google search and finding a used Tiger Woods 2003 to replace it.  Not exactly what I had in mind, but it was a good deal and I'm over the Links LS thing.
On another subject, in my last post I mentioned I couldn't get the Stalingrad portion of Call of Duty to gimme anything more than a brief intro before it quit.  What's the problem with THAT?  They don't expect me to play the first segment (the airbourne thing) in every level before allowing me to open up the Stalingrad portion, do they?  Any ideas?
Also, is there a reason I can't get CoD to play without the CD being in the puter tray? Why can't I just copy it (as I have) to the hard drive and put the original CD away?

Thanks

Mike

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:36 AM

I'm going to cut this thread short at CD hacks.  You got your game going, have fun with that.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat