9 replies to this topic

#1 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:42 PM

Has anyone been playing FM2005? I quickly tried the demo but then went back to CM2004 to carry on an existing game. I'm thinking about picking up FM as a christmas present for one of my mates. Just curious what the learning curve for the interface was like. It seems rather baffling.

#2 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:54 AM

i'm playing at the minute - can't say it's much different from cm but thats not a bad thing. Main differences are:
1. its a bit less slow
2. it's got some visual enhancements like being able to play split screen with the game on one side and your team on the other or the other scores (great when it's last game of the season and you need to know how your rivals are doing)

#3 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:28 PM

The interface is a little confusing. Between the menus, buttons, and pulldown bars, it's easy to get lost at first. But it gets easier and more intuitive as time goes by.

I'm personally having trouble figuring out how to use the tactics screen effectively, but that's due to my casual knowledge football more than anything else. There are lots of options, and the manual isn't much help in explaining their impact on the game.

In fact, I'd say that the manual is a bit of a problem. It's a big game with lots of factors, and the manual just glosses over most of them. Browsing the boards at SIgames has helped, but it's disorganized and nonlinear. Can anyone suggest a good online beginner's guide I could read?

#4 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:59 PM

http://community.sig...01338#470201338

try that - food for thought

#5 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:27 PM

Damn. Just found out that the game won't be available till January-February here in Australia. Grrr...there goes that christmas present idea.

What gives Feral? The game has been out for a month already. Australia isn't that far away. Did you send it camel post to your distributors or something?!

#6 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:40 AM

I think Sega's distributing it, not Feral.

#7 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:20 AM

Right you are. Still cant believe that no one (not even Electronics Boutique!) has a copy!

Grrrr....

#8 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:40 AM

It hasn't been released in the States either, but due to the miracles of modern-day transportation, it wasn't too much more expensive to import from the UK. Maybe you can get a copy shipped from Singapore?

#9 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:59 AM

incidentally it's a dual format cd so even if you can find a shop advertising the pc version it'll have the mac version on it

#10 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:49 PM

I've played CM from the 99/00 season onwards, and I thought migrating to FM 2005 was fairly straightforward. Menus are in slightly different locations, but they seem fairly logically structured to me - better than in the past IMHO.

Also, the manager mind games are definitely an interesting aspect of the game, particularly when it comes to how the different comments are reflected in the morale of your own players and the players of the opposing team.