15 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:42 PM

For the last couple of years I've cut back on game purchases to play my backlog. But I was in a GameStop on Black Friday weekend and they had refurbished Xbox 360's for free after rebate. And it turns out I have no willpower at all when things are free.

In my defense, the main reason I caved is that I had been wanting to play some Assassin's Creed ever since I read Richard Moss's oral history.

I do have some questions:

1. I have the Xbox plugged into my computer monitor, which thankfully had an audio out jack. I had been planning to upgrade to a 4k or 5k monitor next year. But I'm not seeing 5K monitors that are HDMI compatible, even with an adaptor. Am I missing something?

2. Any recommendations for games? I already picked up Batman Arkham Origins and Assassin Creed 2 Revelations (though I might ditch that in favor of AC1, Brotherhood, or IV).

3. If I play a Halo which should it be? (I played the first one on Mac.)  There seems to be some consensus online that its either Halo 3 or Reach.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#2 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:08 PM

I'd recommend Reach and brotherhood for your games questions (I think AC 2 is better than brotherhood story wise though if youre also thinking about that one).

As for the monitor thing, I thought that most higher resolution monitors pretty much all took Display Port? Or at least the only HDMI they offered was low framerate. My knowledge isn't really extensive though so maybe someone else can help more.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:46 AM

Kingdoms of Amalur
Tales of Vesperia
Mass Effect 1-3
Forza Horizon
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:57 PM

Good suggestions. I'd forgotten about ME, though I fear that if I get started on RPGs, that'll be the last anyone hears from me for a few years. Maybe I should add Dragon Age: Inquisition while I'm at it?

My son suggested I try to find the remastered version of Tony Hawk 2 (supposedly 360 compatible). It was a sentimental favorite of ours, I helped beta the Mac version and we liked the music.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#5 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:35 PM

Do all the Dragon Ages, pretty sure they're all on 360.

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:54 AM

HDMI doesn’t support anything more than 4K60. You’d have to get an active HDMI to DisplayPort adaptor (a cable won’t work.)

AC1 is really boring and the story is nonsense. Well they all are, to be honest, but AC1 has the added sin of boring characters. But Revelations is the third game in the Ezio trilogy so you should play 2 and brotherhood first. After the trilogy play IV, then pretend the other games don’t exist.

I’d add Red Dead Redemption. Bought a PS3 to play it last year (well, I also needed a Blu-Ray drive) and loved it.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8307 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:41 AM

View PostCougar, on 28 November 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

HDMI doesn't support anything more than 4K60.
Depends on the version. The most recent one (2.1 or something?) supports definitely up to 8k at 120 Hz.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:49 AM

HDMI doesn’t support anything more than 4K60. You’d have to get an active HDMI to DisplayPort adaptor (a cable won’t work.)

AC1 is really boring and the story is nonsense. [..] you should play 2 and brotherhood first. After the trilogy play IV, then pretend the other games don’t exist.

Good to know. I already played 2 on the Mac; started Brotherhood but I got tired of Bootcamping. So of the AC games I think I will play Brotherhood next. I doubt I'll get through that AND Revelations AND IV, but you never know.

I’d add Red Dead Redemption.
Another good suggestion!
www.mindthecube.com

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 27 November 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

Good suggestions. I'd forgotten about ME, though I fear that if I get started on RPGs, that'll be the last anyone hears from me for a few years. Maybe I should add Dragon Age: Inquisition while I'm at it?

My son suggested I try to find the remastered version of Tony Hawk 2 (supposedly 360 compatible). It was a sentimental favorite of ours, I helped beta the Mac version and we liked the music.

The 360 version of Inquisition was Grade A terrible but if it's your only option and you can get it cheap. Folks who paid full price for the 360 build at launch really got hosed though. It was designed for next gen systems but I think there was some pressure to complete the trilogy on PS3/360 even if it was a hot mess to get it running.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8307 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:02 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 28 November 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

HDMI doesn’t support anything more than 4K60.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

HDMI® Specification 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K.

Of course, the Xbox 360 does not support HDMI 2.1, as it's too old.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:47 PM

View PostCougar, on 28 November 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

AC1 is really boring and the story is nonsense. Well they all are, to be honest, but AC1 has the added sin of boring characters. But Revelations is the third game in the Ezio trilogy so you should play 2 and brotherhood first. After the trilogy play IV, then pretend the other games don't exist.

I agree about AC1, it was pretty awesome when it was the first one I had played but if I go back and try and play it now and I wouldn't be able to pay attention.

Unpopular opinion but I actually liked 3. I've also heard great things about Rogue which is also on 360 I believe.

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:01 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 28 November 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Of course, the Xbox 360 does not support HDMI 2.1, as it's too old.
Even were it available Microsoft has always been cheap on equipment too. No gigabit Ethernet till the Xbone when they were trying to market its multimedia capabilities = WTF.

For games:

- Mass Effect Trilogy

- Gears of War Trilogy (Gears Judgment is okay too but only for the neat prequel campaign; MP sucked hard. Gears 3 for MP all day).

- Red Dead Redemption

- Forza 4 (best of the series on the 360 and only one I liked till 7)

- Halo 3 ODST and Halo: Reach were my two favorite entries in the series after the original. 2 and 3 were fun but tried too hard to be LOTR in space. I liked the other three entries best. 2 and 3 still definitely worth playing though if you like Halo. The non-Bungie Halos = puke though. 4 was mediocre, 5 was gouge-my-eyes-out awful.

- Titanfall if it still has enough players left to do the MP only campaign was a surprisingly good backport from the Xbone
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 3.6 GHz i7 9900K / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB Intel 7600p (RAID0), 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN V 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 4TB Samsung 860 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

View Postipickert55, on 28 November 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

Unpopular opinion but I actually liked 3. I've also heard great things about Rogue which is also on 360 I believe.

Even more unpopular: I actually liked AC Liberation.
Rogue is fine, yes; close cousin to AC IV.

#14 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the game recommendations!

The monitor solution is still a mystery to me. Maybe I can set up the XBox + old monitor on a side table, and then the new monitor can be 5K. It's not as elegant as a single monitor solution. Still, I'm good for now, I'll worry about the rest when I actually upgrade my Mac next year.
www.mindthecube.com

#15 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2633 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:27 PM

Update: My daughter picked up Fallout New Vegas for me. She passed over Skyrim only because she thought I might not have time for it. She almost got me Spiderman Shattered Dimensions because I went to high school with the writer, but she wasn't sure which of the 4 Spider-Man games it was.

Mind you she has not played any of these games herself, and none of these games were on any list I gave her. But she's very thoughtful and her friends filled in some gaps. She did very well-- I would have been happy with any of the games on her shortlist.

Edit: Oh, her friends also suggested Borderlands 2 and she correctly remembered that I had played it a few years ago, despite the fact that she was young and I tried not to let her see me play a FPS. Adults are fooling themselves when they think they can live one way and teach their kids to live another. :-)
www.mindthecube.com

#16 ipickert55

ipickert55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 02 December 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

Update: My daughter picked up Fallout New Vegas for me. She passed over Skyrim only because she thought I might not have time for it. She almost got me Spiderman Shattered Dimensions because I went to high school with the writer, but she wasn't sure which of the 4 Spider-Man games it was.

Mind you she has not played any of these games herself, and none of these games were on any list I gave her. But she's very thoughtful and her friends filled in some gaps. She did very well-- I would have been happy with any of the games on her shortlist.

Edit: Oh, her friends also suggested Borderlands 2 and she correctly remembered that I had played it a few years ago, despite the fact that she was young and I tried not to let her see me play a FPS. Adults are fooling themselves when they think they can live one way and teach their kids to live another. :-)

New Vegas was the better choice anyways. Skyrim is a bland piece of bread without mods in my personal opinion.

No kidding. Ever since I watched my brother played Jedi Outcast when I was 2-3 it was meant for this life :)