What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1850 replies to this topic

#1821 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2677 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:22 AM

I should have mentioned, I did finish Psychonauts (from my 2nd-to-last post.) I used a walkthrough to reduce the number of "trial-and-error deaths" down to just "error deaths" (still plenty of those.) Bring on Psychonauts 2!

My Steam backlog is looking unusually reasonable. I moved 11 high requirements games into a folder, to play after I upgrade my Mac next year. My regular folder has only 10 games left, plus my wishlist has 6 games, some of which I'm trying to talk myself out of. [Averts eyes from GOG and Humble backlogs.]
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1822 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Steam Name:Camper-Hunter
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 13 November 2018 - 06:22 AM, said:

my wishlist has 6 games

Mine has 862 games or DLCs. Hmmm, I may a bit heavy-handed there.

#1823 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:49 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 13 November 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Mine has 862 games or DLCs. Hmmm, I may a bit heavy-handed there.

Good lord. At that point it's just too far gone to even bother editing.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

#1824 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:27 AM

ipickert55, true. My main use is getting a notification when a wishlisted game goes on sale.

#1825 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4029 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:59 AM

I keep track of all my games in a Numbers sheet, and that has really helped giving me an overview, and not double-buying stuff. And actively lowered the numbers of games I've bought. I have 399 owned games on the list (Missing ~12 Wii games I still need to add), and of those, 252 are still unplayed. I don't think I need to buy more, unless some really nice offers come out. And my 2011 iMac is getting a bit long in the tooth when it comes to modern releases, so no need to buy recent games anyway. And with a second child on the way, I don't even know how I will find the time to do a review of Civilization VI, as I promised MGS after winning their Civ VI competition a few weeks ago... Hopefully this weekend. :D

Edit: The Feral thread discussion actually got me wondering if I should spend some time finding out which games are staying 32 bit, and prioritize playing those, before the GPU in my 2011 iMac dies again and I have to upgrade to a 64 bit only OS... I think I will do that, and add it to my Numbers list (I love making lists! My girlfriend hates me for it... Everything has to go into a list. Lists are awesome!) to the 64 bit compatibility thread.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1826 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

This is kinda inspiring me to make a numbers list of my own.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

#1827 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:02 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 14 November 2018 - 02:59 AM, said:

(I love making lists! My girlfriend hates me for it... Everything has to go into a list. Lists are awesome!)

She hates you for it since she found your past girlfriends list. :P

#1828 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4029 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:52 AM

View Postipickert55, on 14 November 2018 - 08:12 PM, said:

This is kinda inspiring me to make a numbers list of my own.
I have the following headers:
Game Name
Rating [Dropdown menu for each entry: Crap, Bad, Okay, Good, Awesome, Windows, Won't Play]
Source [Steam, GOG, MGS, Mac App Store, ...]
Bit [Dropdown menu for each entry: 32 bits, 64 bits)
Comments & Notes (For any serials, Borderlands golden keys, things I need to remember, personal highscore in case I delete the preference files, etc.)

And then at the bottom I have another list with wishes... Although I almost never update it, since I just add things to my MGS/Steam wishlist mostly (Convenient for sales emails), so it is practically only for games I should play at some point in my life on platforms I don't have, such as Playstation or Xbox.
And at the very bottom, yet another list, with login/usernames specifically for gaming platforms and game sale platforms (Blizzard.com, Mac App Store, Humblebundle.com, MGS, Steam, Uplay, Origin, specific game sites, etc.).

It took some time to create, but in many cases it was just a matter of going to the few websites where most of my games where (MGS, Steam, Mac App Store), copy the list of games, paste it into a spreadsheet, filter out the crap, make the headers, and then go from there. Its been SO convenient for me! :) The main thing is now to always remember to add things to the list whenever I buy something, but at this point it is just something I do automatically as soon as I buy anything. And the long list of unplayed games have spured me to really lower my shopping I must say...

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 15 November 2018 - 01:02 AM, said:

She hates you for it since she found your past girlfriends list. :P
Or perhaps because her rating on the list was lower than the average! :P

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#1829 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2677 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

Played Tropico 4 until it began to feel like work. 50 hours, got a lot of mileage from it.

Tried out NightSky, which was a fun physics rolling ball platformer. I played through all the casual levels, decided I didn't have the patience for the more hardcore levels. But if you got it in a bundle as I did it's worth spending a couple evenings with.

Next up: probably Grim Fandango Remastered.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#1830 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2677 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

Finished the storyline for Batman Arkham Origins (XBox), then collected Enigma data packs until it began to feel like work.

Played and finished Broken Age (Mac). (I have some serious complaints about certain puzzles in the second half. But the animations and voice work were delightful, and it had some nice payoffs. And funnier, tighter writing than Telltale's Sam & Max game I tried)

I think I'm going to play some of my backlog of 32-bit games next.
www.mindthecube.com

#1831 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:58 PM

Played Prey, which was the best new game I've played in many years. Really interesting plot with quite a few twists, interesting exploration and combat, great powers. Just a really fun game to play. Then did Overload, which is a must for all you old Descent fans. A modern version of Descent with better bells and whistles. Now playing through Bulletstorm:Full clip edition, which is totally silly, but a fun time-waster. Sadly, everything via BootCamp. Can't remember the last time I played anything on the Mac side.
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/High Sierra/Windows 10
Home: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/High Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#1832 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2677 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

FWIW Overload runs great on my old Mac (2008 Mac Pro with a 2 GB GTX 680.) No reason for you to switch to the Mac version now obviously, but they did a great job with it. My main complaint is that they don't have an option to turn off keyboard shortcuts like Command-Q. My preferred controls are based around the WASD keys so during dogfights I would sometimes hit the keys to quit to desktop. In the end I had to retrain myself to use a completely new layout.

The multiplayer matchmaking is also a bit suspect, but that might just be from too few people playing it. I got spanked so thoroughly it wasn't fun so I gave it up. That was months ago. I suspect the problem has only gotten worse but I'll try again at some point.

Currently playing: Ron Gilbert's The Cave. It looks nice, is kind of fun, and I like the tone, but I suspect I will be done with it once I finish my first play-through. We'll see..
www.mindthecube.com

#1833 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:42 PM

Was just playing Diablo II with my Sorceress and Tal Rasha's Guardianship dropped :w00t: ! So sweet! I have the complete Tal Rasha's set now :) .

Next I need to get a sweet sword or bow.

#1834 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 4029 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:21 AM

View PostSpike, on 23 January 2019 - 11:42 PM, said:

Was just playing Diablo II with my Sorceress and Tal Rasha's Guardianship dropped :w00t: ! So sweet! I have the complete Tal Rasha's set now :) .

Next I need to get a sweet sword or bow.
Diablo pro tip: Get a weapon before trying to get sets.

Of course, if you are a REALLY hardcore player that plays diablo without a weapon... Hat off to you sir!

#1835 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

I'm dipping my toes into Atom RPG which is essentially a Fallout remake set in the former Soviet Union. Early days yet, but it's fun.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#1836 Spike

Spike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 24 January 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

Diablo pro tip: Get a weapon before trying to get sets.

Of course, if you are a REALLY hardcore player that plays diablo without a weapon... Hat off to you sir!

I have the complete set so am using the excellent Tal Rashas Lidless Eye (and Gull in switch). The Bow is for my lvl 70 Zon and Sword for by Barb that wants it before completing Hell Difficulty.

View Postnick68k, on 24 January 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

I'm dipping my toes into Atom RPG which is essentially a Fallout remake set in the former Soviet Union. Early days yet, but it's fun.

Looks interesting but I dont get into single player rpgs at all (and so many are).

#1837 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8341 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:13 AM

I finally played Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and finished it earlier this week. I already wrote a bit about my opinion about it in the Tomb Raider thread, but I really enjoyed it. Great maps with lots to explore, a bunch of fun missions, but the story feels just unresolved. A pity that we will have to wait at least another couple of years for a sequel which hopefully wraps up the open questions.

After that I felt the need for some super-heroics, so I started to replay Batman: Arkham Asylum. The game can't really deny its age, but it's still amazing. The combat is just so satisfying.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#1838 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2677 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

Been working on my 32-bit backlog. Specifically:

1. Played and finished Ron Gilbert's The Cave. I played the first 3 of 7 characters and only consulted a walkthrough once. The next 3 characters I didn't try as hard, used a walkthrough a few times. I didn't bother restarting just to play the last character.

Verdict: pretty good, not overly long. I liked the dark humor, and the puzzles were broken down into independent, bite-sized scenes, so less overwhelming that a full-blown graphical adventure (less backtracking, no worrying about whether an item you found near the beginning is needed at the end.). Two annoyances: one clever puzzle required an obscure move with the controls, something that you don't do anywhere else. Secondly, it turns out there are 2 different endings possible for each character, but since the game doesn't give you any meaningful choices anywhere else, lots of people including myself simply accepted the default endings as a given. (Oh well, that's what YouTube is for.)

2. Currently halfway through LotR War in the North. It's a mixed bag, but enjoyable. I'm not bothering with switching characters, just playing the Ranger all the way through.

I could not have predicted it, but my favorite part of the game so far is the eagles. They land, ruffle their feathers, and glare at you just like a real eagle would, and then they open their beaks and start talking to you in a plummy British accent. I never grow tired of it.

(Although I'm not planning on playing it next, I did finally buy SC2 Legacy of the Void. The weird thing is that Blizzard simply doesn't sell it separately any more, at least not in the US. They want $40-50 for all three. Since i have the first two already this was vexing. I resorted to buying a CD key from a reseller.)
www.mindthecube.com

#1839 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4295 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:50 AM

Lots of HITMAN 2.

Murder Spree
Stealth Run
Murder Spree
Stealth Run
mmm so much fun.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#1840 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8341 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

Since it was dirt-cheap on the Playstation Store (5 €), I got myself Titanfall 2. I finished the single-player campaign yesterday, and it was short, but fantastic. I'm not sure yet if I will be playing the multiplayer part much, since my first attempts were utter failures and getting into it might take some effort, but even if not, I already got my money's worth from the game.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"