46 replies to this topic

#41 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

give it a go, do a video diary, make it funny, and send it to Blake so that he knows what we expect from him...

its odd that with this game in particular, were seeing it run a load better at the native res of the screens.

and yes, thats definitely CPU limited, cos the 9800 Pro is still a half decent card even by todays standards (mid range X1600 and 6600GT are its equivalents). There might be a slight improvement from the newer drivers in 10.4, but even with .3Ghz more, the experience would be better. And Id say that a 1.5Ghz would be a minimum for single CPU, and then only married with a good GPU. Dual 1.42Ghz would be the best stock G4 set up going for the SMP patch.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#42 Stecchino

Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

I suppose this goes without saying (didn't see anyone else pipe in about their iMac playability) but the demo screams on my 17" iMac Core Duo (1.83), just like the Windows XP Demo did.

#43 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

could you maybe do a FpS comparison? not scientific or anything, just if the PC/Mac version is noticeably faster than the other.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#44 Stecchino

Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:22 PM

View Postteflon, on July 7th 2006, 04:05 PM, said:

could you maybe do a FpS comparison? not scientific or anything, just if the PC/Mac version is noticeably faster than the other.

Based on memory alone, the PC/Mac version was not noticeably faster. I only played the Mac Demo for about 10 minutes, however.

Check out my detailed experiences here and here.

#45 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on July 6th 2006, 10:23 AM, said:

With this setup I got about 15 FPS during training and 4-8 FPS during the battle.  The graphics not only looked like ass, they looked like wrinkly ass with zits.  I figured what the hey so I turned up the Resolution to 1024x768 and replayed the Russian training mission with the following battle.  My FPS improved by about 5 FPS and the graphics looked fairly decent.  I suppose this means the game is CPU bound.  I'm sure this can be tweaked even more with some deft tuning.  Tuning which I'd be clueless about and I'm willing to take directions for another test.  I am hampered by not having a timed run to use that would give me a number.  As it is, I'm eyeballing the FPS displayed in the upper right corner and giving you an estimate averaging what I was seeing. As such, I would be completely unaware of small improvements in frame rate so this effort would probably be a waste of time.

Try this for some game tweaks.  It is for the PC version, but most of the options should work for the game.

Here's a link to a timedemo.  Copy the demo file to the main/demos/ folder.  You can run the timedemo from the terminal by pasting in the following command "./Call\ of\ Duty\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Call\ of\ Duty\ 2 +timedemo dday_tpu".  (This assumes you are in the CoD 2 folder.)  You'll get a resulting .csv file in the main/demos/ folder.

The following is a note from the PC 1.3 patch about timedemos: "NOTE - When benchmarking Call of Duty 2 using "timedemo ", the first few frames are artificially slow. You will get more accurate results by using a spreadsheet program to process the values in "main/demos/timedemo__mode_.csv". The first column is the frame number, and the second column is the number of milliseconds spent in that frame. Just ignore the first ten or so rows.  The average framerate is 1000 divided by the average of the remaining rows."

Infinity Ward doesn't make it easy, but it is doable.

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:57 PM

View PostFortranDragon, on July 10th 2006, 12:57 PM, said:

Try this for some game tweaks.  It is for the PC version, but most of the options should work for the game.

Here's a link to a timedemo.  Copy the demo file to the main/demos/ folder.  You can run the timedemo from the terminal by pasting in the following command "./Call\ of\ Duty\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Call\ of\ Duty\ 2 +timedemo dday_tpu".  (This assumes you are in the CoD 2 folder.)  You'll get a resulting .csv file in the main/demos/ folder.

The following is a note from the PC 1.3 patch about timedemos: "NOTE - When benchmarking Call of Duty 2 using "timedemo ", the first few frames are artificially slow. You will get more accurate results by using a spreadsheet program to process the values in "main/demos/timedemo__mode_.csv". The first column is the frame number, and the second column is the number of milliseconds spent in that frame. Just ignore the first ten or so rows.  The average framerate is 1000 divided by the average of the remaining rows."

Infinity Ward doesn't make it easy, but it is doable.
Thanks!  When I get some time I'll look into doing this, I've copied the tweak guide link and your instructions plus I've downloaded the file.  Now all I need is the time to put into it.  There is another thread in Shooters, about CoD2 on a G4.  I might post the result there as this thread is about the demo.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:09 PM

View Postteflon, on July 7th 2006, 10:05 PM, said:

They're about the same, except the Mac version doesn't have shadows and it just seems to look a little nicer under DirectX than OpenGL to me. I get a weird ghosting effect with the Mac version if I try and bump the resolution a bit.
What, Me worry?