13 replies to this topic

#1 prepuser

prepuser

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 07:22 AM

I have to say after a week of online play this game is a complete blast.

Initially I was a bit dubious of the inclusion of drivable vehicles and thought the game may turn into a UT2004 style mash-up devoid of skill or tactics. But you just need to play the right mode, forget Team Death Match it's full of tank noobs, instead try Domination or Base Assault.

The MP game plays totally differently to the original COD, the maps are far larger and tend to require the use of rifles a lot more which can only be a good thing. No more loony Nazi MG'ers running around spraying and praying!  

The new weapons are also a great addition, favs are the new German & Russian semi auto rifles.

The new gameplay style takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've mastered the correct use of tanks, jeeps, smoke grenades etc., it's superb fun. There's nothing like taking out a fully loaded jeep with a well aimed bazooka shell! or hurtling around a corner in your jeep to come face to face with a Panzer tank! ...Awesome!

Basically, leave the Death Match for the kids and try out the new modes.

#2 t0ast

t0ast

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:28 PM

COD's graphics is amazing, but the gameplay isn't good at all. No bulletholes, no effects. nothing that makes you feel like you are in FULL command of the game...  <_<
Imho, it's a game for the camper, and for the newbie FPS gamer.

No offense meant.

#3 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:05 PM

t0ast, on January 5th 2005, 03:28 PM, said:

No bulletholes, no effects.

View Post

Huh!?  And, FYI, neither of those things have to do with "gameplay."
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#4 prepuser

prepuser

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:06 AM

COD's graphics is amazing, but the gameplay isn't good at all. No bulletholes, no effects. nothing that makes you feel like you are in FULL command of the game...  <_<
Imho, it's a game for the camper, and for the newbie FPS gamer.

I disagree, you just need to find a decent server without noobs/TK'ers or campers. If you can find a server where people actually work as a team then it's great.

COD United Offensive also features some new particle effects for explosions & bullet hits on buildings, walls etc.

#5 RankRotten

RankRotten

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:10 AM

Got to agree with the first poster - the new multiplayer maps in CoD:UO are superb. Base Assault and Domination are great with the vehicles and sprinting making it much more enjoyable. I find it hard to go back to the original CoD multiplayer as I misss the new gameplay features.

#6 prepuser

prepuser

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:20 AM

Of course how could I forget the sprint option, how did we manage without it in the original COD.

#7 iomatic

iomatic

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:23 PM

I'd agree, except there are no servers anymore.

:(

RankRotten, on January 6th 2005, 01:10 AM, said:

Got to agree with the first poster - the new multiplayer maps in CoD:UO are superb. Base Assault and Domination are great with the vehicles and sprinting making it much more enjoyable. I find it hard to go back to the original CoD multiplayer as I misss the new gameplay features.

View Post

#8 converted2truth

converted2truth

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:27 PM

Is this game worth the 30 bucks?  I know you all like it.. but do you like it for 30 bucks?  I bought the original COD and found that the multiplay lacked maps... and the ones they had got so packed...

How do you check FPS in COD?
Mac Pro/2.66/2GB RAM/X1900/1.5TB & 250GB X partition/250GB XP partition/Dell 24" LCD
MBP CD2.0/2GB ram/100GB HD (20GB XP partition)/ATI X1600m

#9 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:16 PM

converted2truth, on January 6th 2005, 04:27 PM, said:

I bought the original COD and found that the multiplay lacked maps... and the ones they had got so packed...

View Post

You do realize one of the main advantages to computer gaming is that you can download custom maps, right!?

There are hundreds upon hundreds of CoD maps....

There are also several mods that still are played... check my signature for links to my Mac conversions of the two top current CoD mods.

For those of you who like the teamplay of UO, you should really check out Heat of Battle for standard CoD.

And, the reason you can't find servers for UO right now is that the PC just got updated, and the update hasn't come out for the Mac yet.  As soon as they get us the patch, you'll see plenty of servers.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#10 C@tm@n

C@tm@n

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:20 PM

converted2truth, on January 6th 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

Is this game worth the 30 bucks?  I know you all like it.. but do you like it for 30 bucks?  I bought the original COD and found that the multiplay lacked maps... and the ones they had got so packed...

How do you check FPS in COD?

View Post

It is definitely worth the money!

Maps are better than in original CoD, plus you can still play the old maps with additional features (sprinting, weapons etc.).

To check your FPS open the console and enter:
cg_drawFPS 1

To disable enter:
cg_drawFPS 0

At present I prefer Cod:UO to MOH:Breakthrough, BF 1942 and UT 2004!

#11 von Leysing

von Leysing

Fanatic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:03 AM

C@tm@n, on January 7th 2005, 07:20 PM, said:

At present I prefer Cod:UO to MOH:Breakthrough, BF 1942 and UT 2004!

View Post

Yup, same here! :)

#12 GausianBlur

GausianBlur

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:43 AM

I'm a CoD UO junkie, I think its tons better than 1942.

Well worth the 30 bucks IMHO.

#13 iomatic

iomatic

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:04 PM

ditto that.

Only snag is we're the only chumps left on the servers.

snif

GausianBlur, on January 11th 2005, 09:43 AM, said:

I'm a CoD UO junkie, I think its tons better than 1942.

Well worth the 30 bucks IMHO.

View Post

#14 aeromax

aeromax

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:42 PM

Can someone here send me the savegame file that comes after "foy-3.svg"?  Something's messed up when the game tries to load something at that point in the game, and if I could just skip over it, it would be sweet.