109 replies to this topic

#1 NightBird

NightBird

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:20 AM

Talk about hitting a bump in the road!  Just when mac games are getting A-list titles almost weekly, Gamespy has to complicate things by ending mac support.  I surely hope this will not affect mac games in the future.  Good luck to the developers in trying to get around this.  If there is a petition to Gamespy I hope it is successful.

Ryan

#2 NCG_Mike

NCG_Mike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:28 AM

You might try the All Seeing Eye guys, though I've tried a couple of times myself. I offered to port the client code myself to a UNIX base (OSX/BSD and Linux).

You might have more success, given your position in the market.

if you download their browser for Windows, you'll see it's popular.

#3 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:33 AM

If there is a petition to Gamespy I hope it is successful.

I have a feeling that GameSpy would laugh at any attempt to save Mac compatiblity.

Why would they want to drop it?

#4 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:35 AM

I only pray this wont affect Neverwinter Nights....

I reccomend everyoen go here and tell them what they are doing is not right:

http://archive.gamespy.com/feedback/

#5 stevep63

stevep63

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:23 PM

I surely hope this will not affect mac games in the future.

You're kidding, right? This would not only all but DESTROY the Mac gaming market, but it would also cripple Apple's image of having the iMac being a great consumer computer. Imagine if THIS was commonly said about games on the Mac: "You don't want a Mac because you can only play games with other Mac users if you use a Mac!"

I think that this is so serioius, that Apple should outright buy GameSpy to insure cross-platform compliance in games. Then, they should fire the dumb %!@*&!%@ at GameSpy who is trying to stop Mac support!

-SJ

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2769 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:24 PM

As I posted in response to the news item: the dollars GameSpy gets from Mac is probably pretty small.  Appeals from Mac gamers and publishers may not hold much sway with them.

I think what might help is if PC publishers (GameSpy's bread-and-butter) told GameSpy that cross-platform is important to them. Faced with the prospect of UT2xxx and derived titles, plus others, possibly avoiding GameSpy in future, and perhaps even releasing patches to get off of it with current titles, maybe GameSpy would reconsider.  The threat of such defections is the best (maybe only) lever we have against GameSpy, IMHO.

I'm wondering if advocates at the PC publishers, people like Ryan Gordon who have an interest in cross-platform networkability, can get their companies' PC divisions involved?

I could be wrong... if GameSpy hears enough player revolt then maybe they'll reconsider.  I was pleasantly surprised that Mac Everquest players managed to eventually get themselves heard, for instance.  So there's no one right way to fight this battle.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#7 Auron

Auron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:25 PM

If there is a petition to Gamespy I hope it is successful.

I have a feeling that GameSpy would laugh at any attempt to save Mac compatiblity.

Why would they want to drop it?

This what I don't understand. As far as I can tell, supporting the Mac doesn't require any work from them at all, and they only serve to make Money. Perhaps they're just trying to squeeze more money out of Mac Publisher? (obviously not realizing they can't afford it)

#8 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:26 PM

I hope it doesn't affect anything!
I sent feedback also.
I <3 RJ

#9 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:27 PM

"You don't want a Mac because you can only play games with other Mac users if you use a Mac!"

The odd thing is when people say "You don't want a PS2/Xbox because you can only play games with other PS2/Xbox users if you use a PS2/Xbox!" they get laughed at. ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#10 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:37 PM

Imagine if THIS was commonly said about games on the Mac: "You don't want a Mac because you can only play games with other Mac users if you use a Mac!"

When I think about that, I like the idea. Less sniping bitches, and not at many idoits.

#11 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:39 PM

^^^you sir need to rethink what you just said;
Right now there are only like two good low ping servers out there for mac halo players.
Which sucks.
;`(
I <3 RJ

#12 Auron

Auron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:41 PM

^^^you sir need to rethink what you just said;
Right now there are only like two good low ping servers out there for mac.

WHAT?

#13 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:42 PM

damit i was to late!
I realized i made a mistake in the post then went to edit it but you came in and made me look like an idiot...
oh well.
sorry bout that...i fixed it.
I <3 RJ

#14 Ramius

Ramius

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:03 PM

This sucks; especially because it isn't for technical reasons.  

if GameSpy hears enough player revolt then maybe they'll reconsider.

I doubt it.  If they hear enough developer revolt, maybe.

The problem is that most PC devs have no compelling reason to avoid these tools.  I think the only option would be to create a cross-platform solution that's better than GameSpy and get several big developers to use it.   I wouldn't hold my breath.

#15 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:33 PM

I'm reminded of the guy who posted a thread which made a real ruckus here a while ago, stating not only how he had decided to boycott all Mac games that didn't support cross-platform multiplayer, but also how he thought others should do the same.

I wonder what he thinks of this now, especially now that we've pretty much lost America's Army and the "major PC title" alluded to in the IMG news story.

I'm personally guessing that that "major PC title" was Aspyr's (possible?) Mac port of Star Wars: Battlefront, (or it might also be Aspyr's port of Star Wars: Republic Commando). Aspyr hasn't made any announcements regarding these two games that I know of, but I've seen them listed on the Aspyr page for CompuSmart for a while now...I've had some inkling that those listings may be more than just a simple mistake, since they listed True Crime: Streets of LA and Doom 3 before Aspyr officially announced them.

#16 Forrest

Forrest

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:36 PM

This is what needs to happen - all original PC game developers that intend to license their title for the Mac need to get a PC/Mac license for Gamespy. Without the Gamespy license - I don't see ANY Mac developer being interested in porting any multiplayer games. This will force the original game developer to deal with Gamespy directly and force Gamespy to lower the price on PC/Mac Gamespy licenses.

#17 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:41 PM

Quick question - I bought MTX motocross, and in the booklet it says, if you are on PC and want to play online the disc comes with gameSpy.  If you are on Mac, and want to play online, download gameranger, which I did.  It made it sound as if we were segregated right from the start. I don't know much about either one, but this sounds really bad for mac gamers ...

Can / could I have played MTX on a gamespy network with the game?  

and can gameragner be a possible way to go if gamespy is no more?

#18 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:49 PM

Just what we Mac gamers needed, another kick in the cajones.

This would rank up there with Half Life being cancelled.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#19 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:01 PM

Its not promising that they don't even list Mac as a Platform on their feedback page.  I already bought a PC just for Hal-Life 2/Counterstrike Source.  Oh well.  This could afffect other things as well.  ATI and Nvida may decide not to make video cards for Macs etc.

I hope it doesn't affect anything!
I sent feedback also.

#20 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:02 PM

Look on the bright side...we just got Duke Nukem for the Mac.

Just what we Mac gamers needed, another kick in the cajones.

This would rank up there with Half Life being cancelled.